BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Lux Angel Eyes

05-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #23
Technic
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by armorrig View Post
Am I understanding this correctly? Bluetooth can be added?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The Phone pre-wiring is no longer installed as standard equipment as of 03/09 production, so there's no way in the USA to retrofit the Assist TCU.
Assist = BT in the USA

Technic is offline   United_States
      05-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #24
brizzom
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Assist = BT

But I was under the impression that the bluetooth and assist only work with idrive? I know bluetooth and assist come in the premium package but what if you don't have idrive?

So what you are saying is that because it comes with premium package it doesn't matter if you have idrive/tech package?
      05-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #25
Raustin
Cmd Chief

Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Sedan

Might have to just accept this one. When I ordered mine....I was given notification to ensure all items were correct before a certain date before production. Did you not double check everything????

Good luck....and enjoy your new baby.
Raustin is offline   United_States
      05-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #26
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

WTF?

At least one thing SA has to know,- is the knoweldge of product he is selling.

Same thing happened to me. I wanted i-pod integration, and SA assured me car comes with it. I asked again, and again, just to make sure, and he kept re-assuring me it will be i-pod integrated. Little that I knew, this SA never even had an i-pod in his hands, how would he know what it all means? Surely, when the car came in, there was no USB i-pod connection, but a little "head phone" plug in for i-pod... The SA got his 30% commission anyways, and he is the top SA and the dealership,- the largest BMW dealership in US,- BMW of Manhattan.

I believe, when a man fails all in life,- he either works in a pizzeria, or becomes a car salesman.
      05-09-2010, 09:07 AM   #27
Technic
Lieutenant General

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizzom View Post
But I was under the impression that the bluetooth and assist only work with idrive? I know bluetooth and assist come in the premium package but what if you don't have idrive?
No, Assist/BT works with all OEM HU. Certain Assist features and services are only available for iDrive, though.

Quote:
So what you are saying is that because it comes with premium package it doesn't matter if you have idrive/tech package?
Assist is either ordered as a stand alone option or as part of the Premium Package. It does not depend on any other option or package.

So lesson learned: if you want Bluetooth in the USA better get Assist one way or another. Do not ass-u-me anything...
      05-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #28
Technic
Lieutenant General

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post

I believe, when a man fails all in life,- he either works in a pizzeria, or becomes a car salesman.
Quote of the year.
      05-09-2010, 09:09 AM   #29
stevenross
General

Drives: a ride

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
2008 BMW X5 3.Slow  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkbbd View Post
I wouldn't accept delivery, tell them to order the car you told them you wanted
+1
      05-09-2010, 09:39 AM   #30
chungdae
The Asian Sensation

Drives: 2009 Alpine White M3, S1000RR

How long have you had the M3?
chungdae is offline   United_States
      05-09-2010, 09:49 AM   #31
brizzom
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
No, Assist/BT works with all OEM HU. Certain Assist features and services are only available for iDrive, though.

Assist is either ordered as a stand alone option or as part of the Premium Package. It does not depend on any other option or package.

So lesson learned: if you want Bluetooth in the USA better get Assist one way or another. Do not ass-u-me anything...
Thanks for clearing that up. I was told differently but I didn't feel like he knew what he was talking about
      05-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #32
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by brizzom View Post

Actually, BT works very well on non-iDrive equipped vehicles.

Bluetooth/Assist can be retrofitted, also there's the mObridge option.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
      05-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #33
shchow
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven

Not to play Devil's Advocate here, but...
Every car comes with a list of standard features, and a list of options/packages available. It is the buyers' responsibility to check that list and order the car how they want it. It's not that difficult or time consuming.
I never trust or rely on what the SA tells me since they usually don't know what they are talking about.
      05-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #34
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by shchow View Post
Every car comes with a list of standard features, and a list of options/packages available. It is the buyers' responsibility to check that list and order the car how they want it. It's not that difficult or time consuming.
I never trust or rely on what the SA tells me since they usually don't know what they are talking about.
I'm with you on that one. I have yet to meet any SA that knows the car I want better than I do (even though I don't own it yet, and they sell them every day). Before I step or call on a dealership, I already know exactly what I want, all available features of the car, etc. All I need to do is drive a similar one to pull the trigger. Oh, and I always go straight to the manager when ready to negotiate; it's a waste of time otherwise. So yes, YOU the consumer should do your research before hand, or things like that are bound to happen. No, there's no excuse for that, but that's the reality. And it's your word against the SA's. Good luck.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      05-10-2010, 12:35 AM   #35
L-Altos
Private

Drives: E90 M3

I bought my car used about 8 months ago and never bothered to test the BMW assist. I knew I had it, but if I ever needed to contact them I had just called on my phone. It was pretty cool actually. I turned my car off, then pushed the switch witch popped open to reveal an illuminated button. I pressed it and then my LAT LONG appeared on the screen and then a voice came over the speaker. The person told me to call BMW assist and let them know I was the new owner, then press the button again and she would orient me to the features included with the assist. Before I hung up she told what type/color of car I was driving and what street I was parked on.

If Im not mistaken there is some sort of concierge service with BMW assist. It will be interesting when I call them back and they explain what they will do for me.
      05-10-2010, 02:46 AM   #36
FredVMI
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shchow View Post
+1. I couldn't imagine spending $70k+ without researching the purchase extensively and knowing exactly what I will receive when placing an order. The last thing I would do is rely upon a marginally knowledgeable sales person who's more focused upon the pay day than upon customer satisfaction!

Mods: /// Modular Concept 01s /// Meisterschaft Exhaust / Aero Shield / Carbon Tips /// Smoked Tails /// Matte Black Grills ///
FredVMI is offline   United_States
      05-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #37
M3 Montreal
Colonel

Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMills View Post
"I won't own a car that can be tracked remotely"

Kind of paranoid eh? You realize that your basic location can be tracked by your cell phone right?

Bluetooth with BMW Assist is a stand alone option, and included with the Premium Package.

Just so its clear to folks ordering;

Technology Package:

EDC, MDrive, Comfort Access, Navigation, Voice Command, RT Traffic info.

I think he is more paranoid about warranty issues since I have heard of Nissan voiding warranty on the GTR if they GPS'd it on a track.

If someone can locate you through your phone that doesnt mean your car is with you...

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
      05-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #38
PicassoM
Captain

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
No freaking Bluetooth on a $70K car? Damn, that's unbelievable; even the cheapest Hyundai has it standard now . Where the hell is included? Tech or premium? Never bothered to ask about it on my car since it had every available option, but never imagined it was optional.
If you ordered a 6MT, I'd demand it. The Assist is not that huge of a deal IMO, especially with BT. If there's no signal there's no assist, and it'd only make a difference if you crash in the boonies and can't dial 911 yourself. With the keys (even without CA), you can't lock yourself out unless you really want to, so that unlocking service is useless IMO. The only time I used Assist was to set it up. I wouldn't miss it for a second. But BT was a must for me, especially with a manual. Good luck, and keep us posted.

EDIT: I think Assist can only locate the car with a court order, but I'm not remotely worried about that not being a DD.
I didn't want bluetooth. I hate open conversations in my car. Rather stick with my headset.

I've had no luck with BMW Assist in my E46, I stick with AAA, they are 10x faster and better.

So I feel the options are a waste of moola.
      05-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #39
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Altos View Post
If Im not mistaken there is some sort of concierge service with BMW assist.
Yep, for an extra fee .
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      05-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #40
platinumpapi
Sylish Driver

Drives: bmw 335i

okay so i spoke to my ca, and he still claim the car came with the assist button. But anyway, aside from the assist, which is also related to the bluetooth, he told me, he was going to ship to me some piece in which i could install myself in the car, and ill have blue tooth enabled. So, lets wait and see what the part is.
      05-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #41
Lemon Jelly M3
Lieutenant

Drives: M3 (E90,ZCP,6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumpapi View Post
okay so i spoke to my ca, and he still claim the car came with the assist button. But anyway, aside from the assist, which is also related to the bluetooth, he told me, he was going to ship to me some piece in which i could install myself in the car, and ill have blue tooth enabled. So, lets wait and see what the part is.
I bet he'ss going to give you the aftermarket Bluetooth wireless headset or whatever.

I would just not take the delivery if I were you.
Lemon Jelly M3 is offline   United_States
      05-11-2010, 11:59 PM   #42
platinumpapi
Sylish Driver

that would be ridiculous if he did. A blue tooth headset to work with my own telephone? That would be an insult to me.
      05-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #43
pimpdaddymike

Drives: 2009 AW M3 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkbbd View Post
I wouldn't accept delivery, tell them to order the car you told them you wanted
      05-12-2010, 12:57 AM   #44
platinumpapi
Sylish Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpdaddymike View Post
i already took delivery on it.Its been about 4 days.