BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GT Haus

05-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #23
graider
Colonel

Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
The Race (resonator-less) version retails from BMW Motorsports for about $8k.

The Street (w/ resonators) version retails from various vendors around $5-6k.
serious waste of money IMO.
      05-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #24
ThorPR
Let's Race

Drives: 2010 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
serious waste of money IMO.
I have to agree. I just don't get it why every aftermarket part for the M3 is so overpriced. It seems that common sense goes out the window when it comes to this car. Minimal gains plus astronomical prices equals M3.

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT
ThorPR is offline   United_States
      05-11-2010, 01:47 AM   #25
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro

Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorPR View Post
I have to agree. I just don't get it why every aftermarket part for the M3 is so overpriced. It seems that common sense goes out the window when it comes to this car. Minimal gains plus astronomical prices equals M3.
Although that is true and I do agree, it is not limited to the M3. Look at all other supercars (not claiming the M is one...) and see what the prices are. A friggin' MTM exhaust for the R8 which is STAINLESS STEEL is 8K...

So yeah.
      05-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #26
ThorPR
Let's Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
Although that is true and I do agree, it is not limited to the M3. Look at all other supercars (not claiming the M is one...) and see what the prices are. A friggin' MTM exhaust for the R8 which is STAINLESS STEEL is 8K...

So yeah.
I agree with you. This happens to a lot of other cars. I just hate that the fact that we have to pay for all these overpriced items. We do so because we have no other choice. Take these superchargers for example. You can get a Vortec SC for many other cars for about $4000 +/ or $6000 + for the Corvette Z06. But because it is a BMW M3 we have to pay $12000 +. I understand that tuning/fabrication plays a part, but nonetheless, this is a pretty steep price.

The sad fact is that I will still do a lot of upgrades once I get back to the States regardless of the price. I ended up doing the same with my Shelby GT500 which I pushed to 816hp/715tq.

My plans are Brembo BBK, Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust, and ESS SC.

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT

Last edited by ThorPR; 05-13-2010 at 03:26 AM.
      05-13-2010, 08:03 AM   #27
graider
Colonel

Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
exactly. there is no reason why a few damn pipe of steel weld together should cost more than 1k.
      05-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #28
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
exactly. there is no reason why a few damn pipe of steel weld together should cost more than 1k.
It is titanium.... much harder to work with than steel and more expensive.

Secondly while I agree it's expensive, have you ever priced up raw stainless steel material? I'm sure it's probably a lot more expensive than you think
      05-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #29
ThorPR
Let's Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
It is titanium.... much harder to work with than steel and more expensive.

Secondly while I agree it's expensive, have you ever priced up raw stainless steel material? I'm sure it's probably a lot more expensive than you think
You do make a good point, but if this was true, the price would be the same for all cars not just the M3. The companies target certain groups. This is why you will see a lower price for the Mustangs and an increase in price for the higher end vehicles. As an example, Stainless Works will sell an exhaust system for the new Corvette Z06 including LT headers for under $3000.

Just going to the GAP in Paris to buy a pair of Jeans will cost you 50 euros while the same pair of jeans in the US will be half the price. Location and target population.

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT
      05-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #30
Checkcaptain
Captain

Drives: BMW M3 E92

Send a message via MSN to Checkcaptain Send a message via Skype™ to Checkcaptain
BTW - the GT4 system (without resonators) is also available on special order via the well known sources for only slight extra cost
Checkcaptain is offline   Germany
      05-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #31
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
You do make a good point, but if this was true, the price would be the same for all cars not just the M3. The companies target certain groups. This is why you will see a lower price for the Mustangs and an increase in price for the higher end vehicles. As an example, Stainless Works will sell an exhaust system for the new Corvette Z06 including LT headers for under $3000.

Just going to the GAP in Paris to buy a pair of Jeans will cost you 50 euros while the same pair of jeans in the US will be half the price. Location and target population.
Agreed, they still do over charge. Although you can be sure there are a ton more of the same system sold for a Corvette or Mustang then there are for a M3 so there is economies of scale involved. But yea, I most agree, the vendors are highly aware of their target market and what they will/can pay.