BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

GTB Performance

04-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
HoustonScott
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335d, montego Blue

Gulf Oil Spill

Anyone figured out that the well was eco terrorism. It happened on Earth Day, coincidence? The President put military on other rigs in area, why? Why do that if it was an accident? I have personal knowledge the rig was threaten the month before the explosion. This is eco terrorism and you have not been told yet by your government. It was done to get cap/trade going. Oh, by the way if its terrorism then PB is not responsible. Hum....

HS

Last edited by HoustonScott; 04-30-2010 at 11:49 AM.
      04-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
fdsasdasdf
Captain

Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Oh boy.
      04-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
And elsewhere, I have read that Halliburton is culpable in this accident. So rather than throw out false info, let's wait 'til there definitive proof before the mud slinging starts.
      04-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
And actually here is an article from an ultra left wing news web site talking about how this is most likely due to negligence.

http://liveshots.blogs.foxnews.com/2...est=latestnews
      04-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #5
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(

Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
And elsewhere, I have read that Halliburton is culpable in this accident. So rather than throw out false info, let's wait 'til there definitive proof before the mud slinging starts.
But consipiracy theories are SO MUCH MORE FUN! You're such a party-pooper!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
      04-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
ragingclue
My interior is turrible

Drives: stickferanaxle

Maybe we tapped into God's own oil reserves, and he got mad?
      04-30-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
But consipiracy theories are SO MUCH MORE FUN! You're such a party-pooper!

True true, I forgot about that aspect. Maybe the CIA did it so that they can cover up their secret alien base in the gulf of mexico.

04-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
ghosthi32
Banned

Drives: Water camel

Quote:

True true, I forgot about that aspect. Maybe the CIA did it so that they can cover up their secret alien base in the gulf of mexico.

area 51 ZOMG
      04-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #9
fdsasdasdf
Captain

Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Inb4 Westboro Baptist Church "GOD IS PUNISHING US FOR GAY RIGHTS!"
      05-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
JCE
Banned

Drives: SG M3 2010 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonScott View Post
Anyone figured out that the well was eco terrorism. It happened on Earth Day, coincidence? The President put military on other rigs in area, why? Why do that if it was an accident? I have personal knowledge the rig was threaten the month before the explosion. This is eco terrorism and you have not been told yet by your government. It was done to get cap/trade going. Oh, by the way if its terrorism then PB is not responsible. Hum....

HS
No offense, but you don't know WTF you are talking about in terms of the technical issues/causes of this. Or, maybe you are just trying to stir up shyt??
JCE is offline   United_States
      05-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
alpha325i
this chick >

Drives: E92 328i

During its nine years at sea, the Deepwater Horizon oil rig operated by BP suffered a series of spills, fires — even a collision — because of equipment failure, human error and bad weather. It also drilled the world's deepest offshore well.

Before last week's catastrophe, Deepwater Horizon's most recent hiccup occurred in Nov. 2005, when the rig — under contract with BP — spilled 212 barrels of an oil-based lubricant due to equipment failure and human error. That spill was probably caused by not screwing the pipe tightly enough and not adequately sealing the well with cement, as well as a possible poor alignment of the rig, according to records maintained by the federal Minerals Management Service.

The Coast Guard, which is supposed to ensure the vessels are seaworthy, keeps its own set of safety records on the Deepwater Horizon. From 2000 to 2010, the Coast Guard issued six enforcement warnings and handed down one civil penalty and a notice of violation to Deepwater Horizon, agency records show.

Deepwater Horizon was considered state-of-the-art when it was built in 2001 by Hyundai Heavy Industries. It was designed to withstand 118-mile an hour winds and waves as high as 41 feet. Last year, it set a world record for the deepest oil and gas well when it drilled 35,055 feet into the Gulf of Mexico.

BP is a huge customer of mine and I have sold filtration systems and products to many of the offshore rigs and TLPs, including Deepwater Horizon. BP does like to cut corners sometimes and "save money" by purchasing cheaper products and equipment (you get what you pay for). So overall, Deepwater Horizon has had a history of oopsies and mess-ups. OP, you need to get your facts together and educate yourself before bringing up a topic like this.

E90 325i - totaled 03/17/10 (R.I.P.)
E92 328i - took delivery 04/02/10
alpha325i is offline   United_States
      05-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #12
bolinp78
G35 convertee

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

To claim this as a conspiracy is beyond dumb, and I'll leave it at that.
      05-03-2010, 03:56 PM   #13
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolinp78 View Post
To claim this as a conspiracy is beyond dumb, and I'll leave it at that.
But ... but ... but ... Rush Limbaugh said it was though, it must be the truth, I SWEAR!!!!!
      05-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
flyinb501
Lieutenant

Drives: G35 Coupe, Dodge Ram

Quote:
But ... but ... but ... Rush Limbaugh said it was though, it must be the truth, I SWEAR!!!!!
Rush did not say that.

Either way, it will be used politically to help pass cap and trade.
      05-04-2010, 01:26 PM   #15
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinb501 View Post
Rush did not say that.

Either way, it will be used politically to help pass cap and trade.
Umm, yes he did, you can read his transcripts from his site here

The specific comment I will go ahead and quote here.

Quote:
RUSH: I want to get back to the timing of the blowing up, the explosion out there in the Gulf of Mexico of this oil rig. Since they're sending SWAT teams down there now this changes the whole perspective of this. Now, lest we forget, ladies and gentlemen, the carbon tax bill, cap and trade that was scheduled to be announced on Earth Day. I remember that. And then it was postponed for a couple of days later after Earth Day, and then of course immigration has now moved in front of it. But this bill, the cap-and-trade bill, was strongly criticized by hardcore environmentalist wackos because it supposedly allowed more offshore drilling and nuclear plants, nuclear plant investment. So, since they're sending SWAT teams down there, folks, since they're sending SWAT teams to inspect the other rigs, what better way to head off more oil drilling, nuclear plants, than by blowing up a rig? I'm just noting the timing here.

From The Hill, about the Senate bill: "Sierra Club chief Michael Brune told The Hill’s E2 Wire: 'We will go to the mat for defending Clean Air Act authority.' Brune also pointed to another potential stumbling block: offshore drilling. 'We will not be able to accept the dramatic giveaway that offshore oil drilling represents,' he said." The five hurdles the climate bill must clear, and one of them is offshore drilling. That's in TheHill.com.
      05-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #16
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
And actually if you read further, he says that the ocean will be just fine if we leave it alone. There is no big deal, and in fact the folks up in Prince William Sound are all doing wonderfully.

Complete and utter Bullshit ...
      05-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 135i

Send a message via AIM to InsaneSkippy Send a message via MSN to InsaneSkippy
I love how people are calling it a "spill" like a holding tank got punctured or something. It's 3 different leaks out of the ground that are continuing to spew at this very moment.

It's so funny how all the pro-drilling people are either going back on their word or are just shutting up and sitting down now.

05-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #18
lkw15
Major

Drives: 2011 e90 328i

Garage List
1976 BMW 2002  [5.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i Pre ...  [5.00]
I'm not much for conspiracy theories either. This is just a terrible, terrible accident that will take years and years to clean up (not to mention several billion dollars).

Nonetheless, oil remains the most cost-effective source of transportation energy we have - and we will still need A LOT of it in going forward. Now that oil can either be imported via tanker, or sourced here. It really is unfortunate that such an environmental disaster occurred - but all sources of energy come with inherent risks and liabilities. And until we develop better technologies (which are decades away) or start riding bicycles and living in caves - we'll still be an energy based society.
lkw15 is offline   United_States
      05-04-2010, 03:21 PM   #19
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(

Drives: VFR1200F

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkw15 View Post
It really is unfortunate that such an environmental disaster occurred - but all sources of energy come with inherent risks and liabilities. And until we develop better technologies (which are decades away) or start riding bicycles and living in caves - we'll still be an energy based society.
I know, those wind and solar farms are explosions waiting to happen. Oh wait, no they're not.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
      05-04-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
Georgeair
Captain

Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
I know, those wind and solar farms are explosions waiting to happen. Oh wait, no they're not.
Transmission.
Storage.

Solve those first.
      05-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #21
lkw15
Major

Drives: 2011 e90 328i

Garage List
1976 BMW 2002  [5.00]
2015 M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW X5 35i Pre ...  [5.00]
Quote:
But neither come remotely close to providing the energy - particularly transportation energy - that we (and the world) needs.

The American Bird Conservancy estimates that U.S. wind turbines kill between 75,000 and 275,000 birds per year.

Obviously, solar panels have to be manufactured. These panels have varying life cycles, and producing them utilizes a wide variety of heavy metals including lead, mercury, cadmium and nitrogen trifluoride (NF3) which scientists have claimed is 17,000 times worse than CO2.

My point is that no matter what the technology/source/origin - there will always be negatives.
lkw15 is offline   United_States
      05-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #22
ragingclue
My interior is turrible

Drives: stickferanaxle

Wow.

Offshore drilling, when done correctly, shouldn't lead to this. This is about negligence, not the process of offshore drilling itself.

Maybe we should have stopped building buildings when the first one collapsed due to poor engineering or construction?

Don't get me wrong; heads need to roll here, but how about we keep things in perspective?