BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

05-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Boostking
Wants to be boosted again

Drives: 02 BMW M3

Excessive Tire Wear help

I know this is not the e46 forum, but as you might know, the forums are down. So I am turning to you guys for some help.

I have an 02 m3. When I bought it about 6 months ago, it came lowered on Tien springs. It needed a new set of tires on it so I wrapped all 4 in Potenza RE760's. The car was also aligned at this time. I dont drive aggressively very often. I dont run around grabbing second gear or taking turns extremely hard.

My rear tires have worn through on the inner edges (about 2 inches) to the cords in less than 5k. I put a back up set of tires on there about 1k miles ago (50% used tires) and now they too have worn through in the exact same spot.

I haven't a clue why. Being lowered on Tien springs the car has a decent amount of negative camber. I believed this to be the problem with the tire wear issue. However, I have read that negative camber is much less wearing on the tires than incorrect toe. Could someone shed some light on this subject for me so I might make the needed changes to my rear suspension or alignment before forking out another chunk of money on tires.

Thank you for your help.

-Brett
      05-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #2
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel

Drives: E92 DCT M3

That much inner tyre wear is going to be too much negative camber...if the negative camber is actually visible then is definitely your problem.
SenorFunkyPants is offline   United Kingdom
      05-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
smmmurf
Colonel

Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT

I have an E46 too so I probably know what your problem is. Your tire wear is probably a function of worn RTABs (Rear Trailing Arm Bushings). When worn out, these bushings cause your alignment to constantly change while driving.

This results in extremely poor rear tire wear. If you haven't changed these, do them now and then re-align the car. They wear out after 45-60k miles on E46 M3's. After that point, they are shot. You need to replace them otherwise nothing you do with regard to replacing tires or aligning the car will make the problem go away. The car will likely handle a lot better once you have this done.
      05-05-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Trier Germany
Banned

Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Are you sure you did a 4 wheel alignment?
Trier Germany is offline   Luxembourg
      05-05-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Dustin@AEp
Captain

Drives: BMW E92 M3

Send a message via AIM to Dustin@AEp
The toe must be out of spec
Dustin@AEp is offline   United_States
      05-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Boostking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
I have an E46 too so I probably know what your problem is. Your tire wear is probably a function of worn RTABs (Rear Trailing Arm Bushings). When worn out, these bushings cause your alignment to constantly change while driving.

This results in extremely poor rear tire wear. If you haven't changed these, do them now and then re-align the car. They wear out after 45-60k miles on E46 M3's. After that point, they are shot. You need to replace them otherwise nothing you do with regard to replacing tires or aligning the car will make the problem go away. The car will likely handle a lot better once you have this done.

Hmmm, I was starting to suspect this as well. It makes sence. I think since she just rolled 60k miles, its probably time for those RTAB's to be replaced. Thank you for the suggestion.
      05-05-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Boostking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
Are you sure you did a 4 wheel alignment?
Well I have never been great with suspensions or alignments ect. I had my friend at a shop make sure everything was in spec. He told me everything is in spec except for the fact that my camber is pretty drastic compared to stock. I didnt have to pay for the service so I really didnt care. It was piece of mind for the new tires, and then they wore like butter.

Thanks for the help. Time to order some RTAB's.
      05-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
FruitCake
Banned

Drives: '10 E92 M3

Most likely toe out of spec, I would get it rechecked at a proper alignment shop.
Also replace your RTABs if you have not. I've personally never had excessive tire wear in 70k miles in my E46, and its still going strong.
FruitCake is offline   Taiwan
      05-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #9
Boostking

Thanks for the help guys, i guess i have some maintenance to do. Now I know where to start looking.
      05-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #10
GT3 Tim

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin@AEperformance View Post
The toe must be out of spec
Spot on!

Toe will wear the tire much faster than camber. I would go back and get a 4 wheel alignment and make sure the toe settings are with factory specs.

I have 9,000 miles on my stock tires and the inside tread is still fine. I installed H&R springs on it too (and had it aligned to factory specs).
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
GT3 Tim is offline   United_States
      05-05-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel

Drives: E92 DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
Spot on!

Toe will wear the tire much faster than camber. I would go back and get a 4 wheel alignment and make sure the toe settings are with factory specs.
True that excess toe does wear tyres fast but not in the pattern the OP describes. To wear only the inner part of the rear tyres down to the canvas in 5K miles indicates too much rear negative camber far more than too much toe out...which in any case would make the car drive like a complete dog.
Knowing the tread depth across the tyre would increase the chance of a more accurate diagnosis.
Nothing wrong with changing the RTABs but its not likely to be the principle cause of the problem.
SenorFunkyPants is offline   United Kingdom