BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
82
Rep
3,502
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Drove an R8 today...

A friend of mine purchased an Audi R8 and I had a chance to take it out for a really good run today. It is the 8 cylinder car. Here are my impressions...

1. WAY smaller than I thought it would be. It is a wide but very small car. Very low to the ground.

2. Looks AMAZING!!! Talk about a head turner. This is one of the most beautiful cars I have seen.

3. Steering wheel is VERY thin. I was kind of disappointed in this. After having the meaty M3 steering wheel, the R8's could have come off a Camry. Having said that, it looked nice with a flat bottom but too thin.

4. Interior fit and finish was top notch but, IMO, not any better than the M3. Different for sure... more purpose built so to speak... pure sports car and less comfort oriented.

5. Shifter was a 6MT with the Lambo style metal gates. Cool for sure. Longer throw than I would have thought but very easy to use.

6. CRAZY throttle response. Much more sensitive that the M3 in normal or sport mode. Also, needed less input to get the car moving.

7. Power... in reality, about the same. Maybe a little extra torque down low but overall my butt dyno says the two cars would be neck and neck. Maybe a very slight advantage to the R8. But the BIG difference was how the power can be put down. The traction in the R8 is simply crazy good. Burnouts would be difficult to accomplish. In the M3, they are common. On the same highway onramp, I can get the traction control nanny to kick in on my M3 in MDM but the Audi just pulls the whole way without any trouble. It's really impressive actually but, IMO, less exciting and fun.

8. Handling I would say the Audi is slightly better. A tad less body roll and a slight bit more grip. Could be the rubber to some extent but I think the Audi suspension is just a little more hardcore.

Overall, I loved the R8 and was not at all disappointed. On a track with two non-professional drivers, the Audi would win purely based on how well it puts the power down. However, I was surprised how close the M3 was in performance. I would say 95% of the Audi in acceleration and 95% in handling. Not too bad for 50% of the cost (in Canada). The Audi is slightly better at everything but only slightly. The M3 is more comfortable, easier to drive, sounds just as good (surprising to me), and if you like a little tail out action then it is probably more fun. Having said that, the Audi is incomparably beautiful and much more rare.

So two things came from my drive... first, I discovered how great the R8 is and, second, it reafirmed how amazing the M3 is even compared to a car like the R8. I realized something else too, next set of tires I am getting will be extreme performance like the RE-11s. The Hankook Ventus EVOs are very good but the tires on the Audi (Pirellis) were just better and made me wish I had something just a tad grippier!

I then took my friend in the M3 (he had a couple of beers so didn't want to drive it) and he was VERY impressed. He thought it felt faster subjectively than the R8 (IMO only because I was drivign and passengers always feel like you are driving faster than you are) and loved how I could push the tail out a bit. Clearly the R8 is a better performance car but it is DAMN close... much closer than I had thought it would be. Man do I LOVE cars!!
__________________
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 MB C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel
OMID INC's Avatar
33
Rep
1,566
Posts

 
Drives: E70 X5
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (6)

pretty sweet. wonder that the new V10 would feel like
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
rwchrist
CMPULSV
rwchrist's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
360
Posts

 
Drives: 09 Alpine White
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wichita Falls, Texas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the info...I wondered what they were like. They sure look good!
__________________
2009 Alpine White DCT E92 M3 - Tint, Hood M Stripes, Eibach Springs,
Gloss Black Rims, Vorsteiner Lip, BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler
Fabspeed x-pipe & Megan Race Exhaust


2006 Imola Red 6-speed E46 M3 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
82
Rep
3,502
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMID INC View Post
pretty sweet. wonder that the new V10 would feel like
The V10 would be insane. With the R8s ability to put power to the ground and the 500+ hp of the V10, it would be an absolutely amazing car to drive fast.

I have to say, though, that driving the R8 really made me feel great about the M3 and its abilities.
__________________
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 MB C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #5
EJ_92606
Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
6
Rep
381
Posts

 
Drives: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: So. Cal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
A friend of mine purchased an Audi R8 and I had a chance to take it out for a really good run today. It is the 8 cylinder car. Here are my impressions...

1. WAY smaller than I thought it would be. It is a wide but very small car. Very low to the ground.

2. Looks AMAZING!!! Talk about a head turner. This is one of the most beautiful cars I have seen.

3. Steering wheel is VERY thin. I was kind of disappointed in this. After having the meaty M3 steering wheel, the R8's could have come off a Camry. Having said that, it looked nice with a flat bottom but too thin.

4. Interior fit and finish was top notch but, IMO, not any better than the M3. Different for sure... more purpose built so to speak... pure sports car and less comfort oriented.

5. Shifter was a 6MT with the Lambo style metal gates. Cool for sure. Longer throw than I would have thought but very easy to use.

6. CRAZY throttle response. Much more sensitive that the M3 in normal or sport mode. Also, needed less input to get the car moving.

7. Power... in reality, about the same. Maybe a little extra torque down low but overall my butt dyno says the two cars would be neck and neck. Maybe a very slight advantage to the R8. But the BIG difference was how the power can be put down. The traction in the R8 is simply crazy good. Burnouts would be difficult to accomplish. In the M3, they are common. On the same highway onramp, I can get the traction control nanny to kick in on my M3 in MDM but the Audi just pulls the whole way without any trouble. It's really impressive actually but, IMO, less exciting and fun.

8. Handling I would say the Audi is slightly better. A tad less body roll and a slight bit more grip. Could be the rubber to some extent but I think the Audi suspension is just a little more hardcore.

Overall, I loved the R8 and was not at all disappointed. On a track with two non-professional drivers, the Audi would win purely based on how well it puts the power down. However, I was surprised how close the M3 was in performance. I would say 95% of the Audi in acceleration and 95% in handling. Not too bad for 50% of the cost (in Canada). The Audi is slightly better at everything but only slightly. The M3 is more comfortable, easier to drive, sounds just as good (surprising to me), and if you like a little tail out action then it is probably more fun. Having said that, the Audi is incomparably beautiful and much more rare.

So two things came from my drive... first, I discovered how great the R8 is and, second, it reafirmed how amazing the M3 is even compared to a car like the R8. I realized something else too, next set of tires I am getting will be extreme performance like the RE-11s. The Hankook Ventus EVOs are very good but the tires on the Audi (Pirellis) were just better and made me wish I had something just a tad grippier!

I then took my friend in the M3 (he had a couple of beers so didn't want to drive it) and he was VERY impressed. He thought it felt faster subjectively than the R8 (IMO only because I was drivign and passengers always feel like you are driving faster than you are) and loved how I could push the tail out a bit. Clearly the R8 is a better performance car but it is DAMN close... much closer than I had thought it would be. Man do I LOVE cars!!
Nice review...thanks for the writeup. Regarding the tires...not sure that you can really compare tires on two different cars...lots more comes into play in traction than just tires. Although you can probably find stickier than Hankook. Interesting though that one magazine said they actually preferred the contis on the M3 because they felt the car was better with slightly less traction...sounds counterintuitive, but that's what it said.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Alex@Autocouture's Avatar
74
Rep
3,671
Posts


 
Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ny

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
Isn't the r8 awd...?
__________________
AUTOcouture Motoring | 15-01 Pollitt Drive St. 6, Fair Lawn NJ 07410
201.666.3500 | Alex@autocouturemotoring.com
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
Levi
Brigadier General
Levi's Avatar
Czech_Republic
124
Rep
3,452
Posts

 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

N-Ring:
R8: 8:05 min
M3: 8:06 mn
R8 is slightly faster when dry, much faster when wet, but not a drift car.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
bmwrjs
New Member
bmwrjs's Avatar
7
Rep
29
Posts

 
Drives: NOne
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: East of Nowhere

iTrader: (0)

Levi, I Believe the M3 does an 8:05 aswell.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
gixxer_kidd
Major
29
Rep
1,401
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NNJ

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2008 m3  [5.00]
Thanks for taking the time to post your review. I always wondered what it would be like to drive one of those cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #10
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
82
Rep
3,502
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
N-Ring:
R8: 8:05 min
M3: 8:06 mn
R8 is slightly faster when dry, much faster when wet, but not a drift car.
That's consistent with how they subjectively felt when driving. The R8 felt slightly faster... mainly due to AWD traction... and would also be clearly faster in poor weather. In the dry, they are close... very close.
__________________
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 MB C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
bavarian beauty
Banned
0
Rep
57
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 E92
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

I seen one up close for the first time last saturday and it was in light blue. its not the sexiest color, however, this car looked HOT!!!!!!
So its not the best performing car at its price range, if I owned one, I wouldnt care!!!
the car is pure SEX!!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 01:30 AM   #12
Roby84m
Second Lieutenant
Roby84m's Avatar
Canada
9
Rep
260
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3 E92 ZCP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax,NS

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Roby84m
For the price of a fully loaded R8 you can get two almost fully loaded e92 m3s however R8 is a more exclusive car for sure. I can't wait for my '11 m3 zcp anyway. I just called them today and it will be at the port by the end of this weekend awaiting for the ship.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:55 AM   #13
amgthis
Tire Racks
amgthis's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,228
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M Coupè
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

I thought the interior of the R8 was sex, go sit inside a red R8 interior man. M3 is a little plasticky isn't it
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #14
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
262
Posts

 
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S. FLA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roby84m View Post
For the price of a fully loaded R8 you can get two almost fully loaded e92 m3s howevercar for sure R8 is a more exclusive . I can't wait for my '11 m3 zcp anyway. I just called them today and it will be at the port by the end of this weekend awaiting for the ship.
Exclusivity is a flawed concept. It is directly proportional to price but also to price to performance ratio.

If an m3 cost $1m it would be very exclusive, if a tercel cost $1m it would be EXTREMELY exclusive (If you bought one you would be the only person with the car).

M3 and R8 performance are about equal. That doesn't make the R8 exclusive, that makes it overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
ss134
Brigadier General
ss134's Avatar
United Kingdom
69
Rep
3,806
Posts

 
Drives: ...a hard bargain...
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany/UK

iTrader: (1)

Great car the R8 but with those looks the V10 does it the most justice. One of the best supercars period. As for straight line performance you may be surprised (and this was 6mt v R-tronic ):

http://www.youtube.com/user/m5boardd.../3/cap_EcnnZT0
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #16
gthal
Brigadier General
gthal's Avatar
Canada
82
Rep
3,502
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Canada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 M3  [3.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss134 View Post
Great car the R8 but with those looks the V10 does it the most justice. One of the best supercars period. As for straight line performance you may be surprised (and this was 6mt v R-tronic ):

http://www.youtube.com/user/m5boardd.../3/cap_EcnnZT0
Impressive for the M3. The only thing I would comment on is that this race was from a roll... from a dig, the AWD in the R8 would build a quick lead on an M3, IMO, and the m3 would have a much harder time to recover. From a roll, traction is less of an issue. But, nonetheless, I'm happy to see the M3 perform as strongly.
__________________
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | Black Full Merino Leather | DCT
2014 Corvette Stingray | Z51 | Torch Red | 7MT - Sold
2012 MB C63 Coupe | Performance package | Obsidian Black - Sold
2011 E92 M3 | Jerez Black | Fox Red | DCT | Competition Package - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
shchow
Second Lieutenant
shchow's Avatar
2
Rep
294
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hainesport, New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeltiii View Post
Exclusivity is a flawed concept. It is directly proportional to price but also to price to performance ratio.

If an m3 cost $1m it would be very exclusive, if a tercel cost $1m it would be EXTREMELY exclusive (If you bought one you would be the only person with the car).

M3 and R8 performance are about equal. That doesn't make the R8 exclusive, that makes it overpriced.
Your hypothesis is also flawed.
What a car commands in price is also what the market is willing to pay.
No one would chalk up $1m for an M3 or Tercel.
Depending on the cost of development and how many units the manufacturer intends to sell/year/production run, the car may actually be a money loser at high price points, Lexus LFA for example.
The manufacturer still has to justify the cost of the car if extreme. And the buyer market at that price point is rather picky and well informed.
__________________
Current rides: 2010 CTS-V sedan, black raven; 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV, black raven
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 M5, metallic sapphire black, SMG; 2004 645ci, metallic sapphire black, SMG
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 03:23 PM   #18
ss134
Brigadier General
ss134's Avatar
United Kingdom
69
Rep
3,806
Posts

 
Drives: ...a hard bargain...
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Germany/UK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Impressive for the M3. The only thing I would comment on is that this race was from a roll... from a dig, the AWD in the R8 would build a quick lead on an M3, IMO, and the m3 would have a much harder time to recover. From a roll, traction is less of an issue. But, nonetheless, I'm happy to see the M3 perform as strongly.
Agreed - however when my E90 m3 arrives in July and i'm on the autobahn that M3 top end will be more beneficial
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
262
Posts

 
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: S. FLA

iTrader: (1)

[quote=shchow;7286351]Your hypothesis is also flawed.
What a car commands in price is also what the market is willing to pay.
"The market" is represented by a downward sloping demand curve. The price set determines the size of the market williang/able to purchace the car.


No one would chalk up $1m for an M3 or Tercel.
I believe that was my point. I used a ridiculously large number to make it. People do pay >200k for M3's in some parts of the world. Does that make it more exclusive there? Yes. Does that make it any better of a car? No.

Depending on the cost of development and how many units the manufacturer intends to sell/year/production run, the car may actually be a money loser at high price points, Lexus LFA for example.
Sure can. But that has nothing to do with my point about exclusivity being directly proportional to price/performance. If the price is higher, less will buy. If the performance is lower, less will buy. Less people buy/have = exclusivity. If the m3 and veyron cost the same and had the same practicality the m3 would be "more exclusive" because everyone else would be driving a veyron.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 07:02 PM   #20
GnokGnik
Captain
10
Rep
936
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

911 C2s > R8 V8


(amazed the RWD 997 had better traction)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
graider
Colonel
graider's Avatar
26
Rep
2,408
Posts

 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

i for one never really hook on the look of hte r8. if i'm in a market for a 2 seater, i would think the gt3 is a better looking car than the r8. i think the s5 in black is the best looking audi right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 08:36 PM   #22
ching
First Lieutenant
ching's Avatar
3
Rep
315
Posts

 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

Nice write-up. How many R8s are there in Halifax? He must cause a spectacle everywhere he goes.
__________________
E90 BMW M3 interlagos blue / silver novillo - vrs type ii diffuser, ape performance air filter, ind ib reflectors, RAC RG63 gunmetal, 2 car seats and a baby on board sign
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST