BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
DansM
Private First Class
 
DansM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 white/Fox red-DCT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Boynton beach, FL

Posts: 182
iTrader: (-1)

ESS 550 Kit.. Tuned by Mike Benvo

Hello All I want to post this here in order to compliment the outstanding work and knowledge that mike has given me from day 1. Starting from my NA tune all the way to my new SC tune and kit.

About a year ago I called mike up for a tune after many many people recommended him. Needless to say, the tune was flawless and the performances was noticeable. All in all mike was very patient and professional answering every question I threw his way.

Several months later (now) I purchased a ESS kit without a tune and decided to ask Mike if he were up to the challenge. we talked for a while to decide on how it was going to be done and again he answered all my questions in a timely professional manner. the crucial factor for this particular tune was the injector sizing which Mike calculated to the nearest 100th decimal percentile so that it would run optimally. He went out of his way to understand the exact flow of my particular injectors in order for the car to run at peak performance as well as SAFE.

After my installation and his meticulous calculations, we proceeded with the installment of the tune and voilą! it worked perfectly. Initially he gave me a very conservative tune to see how everything else would work. the next day he sent my the finalized tune for 5.5lbs of boost. To sweeten the deal, he also included the servotronic upgrade which is awesome! and much needed.

Over all I only have 80 miles on the car so far and waiting for it to fully adapt but the car is already an animal and runs super smooth. Thanks to mike and his great work, I have confidence the car will perform flawlessly every time I turn her on. His tuning skills are defiantly better than most that I've dealt with over the years. For those whom are skeptical about his ability to tune a boosted M, dismiss your skepticism and give Mike a call. Also, If any one was on the fence about SC or NA tuning with him or didn't know where to go... I can say that my experience was very pleasant and fun!! I highly recommend him. BPM +1 Vote for Mike!
DansM is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
SYZ
Lieutenant
 
SYZ's Avatar
 
Drives: :O
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Scottsdale

Posts: 459
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
what kind of logging was done?
SYZ is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
TMR
Colonel
 
TMR's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Torrance

Posts: 2,710
iTrader: (11)

SWEET!!!!!!
__________________
2011 E92 M3 : Slek Wide Body, BPM Tuned, Activeauto Coilovers, Savini Wheels, 345/285 of Nitto rubber, Litespeed Racing Titanium Exhaust
www.tmrmzine.com/m3/slek and www.tmrmzine.com/328
SOLD E92 335i Stage 3+ with all the toys www.tmrmzine.com/335/
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
TMR is online now   United_States
0
      09-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
 
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,013
iTrader: (0)

Good to hear this,and we all know Mike is the top
And i hope that he will say.....".i'll be back."..better and stronger than ever before

__________________
BPM DEV-Tune & DCT software & Servotronic & coding///Alpine HID Angeleyes///Oem.exhaust mod.[/size]
///M Power-Belgium is online now   Belgium
0
      09-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
maaicher
Captain
 
maaicher's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet black E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 732
iTrader: (10)

I know you stated you went with Mike while you were still NA, but what would make you use him again when ESS has proven to be one of the most reliable tuners on the market?

Not trying to cause conflict. Just curious. It seems like an unnecessary risk. I would prefer to have a company give me a custom tune on a dyno not just tune and pray.
__________________
SOLD 2008 Jet Black E92 M3 * HRE C20 19in Wheels * KW Clubsport * Huper Ceramic Tint * Stop-Tech Trophy BBK *Gintani SC & Gintani Custom Exhaust* Vertice Front Bumper*Arkym Diffuser*
maaicher is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
ZEEM3R
First Lieutenant
 
ZEEM3R's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 345
iTrader: (0)

he told me he was gonna tune a supercharged car.. glad he did so now everyone can shut up about his tuning skills
ZEEM3R is online now   United_States
0
      09-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
nullrouted
Studying...
 
nullrouted's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Central Florida

Posts: 850
iTrader: (0)

Isn't his own M3 supercharged? I would think he's given quite a lot of thought to the subject...
nullrouted is offline   United_States
0
      09-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
DansM
Private First Class
 
DansM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 white/Fox red-DCT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Boynton beach, FL

Posts: 182
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
what kind of logging was done?
He had done his own logging on other SC cars he has tuned.
DansM is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,030
iTrader: (42)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
Isn't his own M3 supercharged? I would think he's given quite a lot of thought to the subject...
No, it is not although he has been wanting to do one for some time now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansM View Post
He had done his own logging on other SC cars he has tuned.
This is correct. DansM isn't the first s/c car that we've done.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
      09-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
nullrouted
Studying...
 
nullrouted's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Central Florida

Posts: 850
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
This is correct. DansM isn't the first s/c car that we've done.
Very cool. Can't wait to see the dyno results when you get the tune optimized the way you want.
nullrouted is offline   United_States
0
      09-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
DansM
Private First Class
 
DansM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 white/Fox red-DCT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Boynton beach, FL

Posts: 182
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaicher View Post
I know you stated you went with Mike while you were still NA, but what would make you use him again when ESS has proven to be one of the most reliable tuners on the market?

Not trying to cause conflict. Just curious. It seems like an unnecessary risk. I would prefer to have a company give me a custom tune on a dyno not just tune and pray.
No conflict started its ok. I went with Mike because I was a loyal customer seeking the same top notch service. Besides, I got a lot more for my dollar with my tune including; cold start RPM reduction, and servo-tronic. Mike was also very forward with me in that he made sure every aspect that needed to be addressed would be covered in order for the car to run correctly. As stated before, he went to the extent of flow benching my injector sizing for proper scaling and pulse width parameters. I feel like I had a more personal, hands on tuning experience with my SC car than any other could offer. Meaning not just a cable sent and a file uploaded. He made sure I was covered safely and that I would have the enjoyment that I sought from a SC. This doesn't mean the ESS isn't good, just that Mikes was more personal and offered more plus he stand behind it.
DansM is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #12
rjd598
Brigadier General
 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

Posts: 4,493
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maaicher View Post
I know you stated you went with Mike while you were still NA, but what would make you use him again when ESS has proven to be one of the most reliable tuners on the market?

Not trying to cause conflict. Just curious. It seems like an unnecessary risk. I would prefer to have a company give me a custom tune on a dyno not just tune and pray.
you used to have a gintani exhaust and sc kit...same could be said for you. not trying to start anything as i have no problem with gintani and would love to run their products, always have. just saying you don't have a valid argument there. you could have chosen ess and probably eisenmann exhaust at the time since they are companies that are "proven to be the most reliable".
__________________
10 E90 M3/dct/ztp/zpp/heated seats/eps/19'/iPod
retired- 08 535i/nav/prem./L7/ipod
retired- 06 325i/nav/prem./sat/xenons/style 128

rjd598 is offline   United_States
0
      09-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 159
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaicher View Post
I know you stated you went with Mike while you were still NA, but what would make you use him again when ESS has proven to be one of the most reliable tuners on the market?

Not trying to cause conflict. Just curious. It seems like an unnecessary risk. I would prefer to have a company give me a custom tune on a dyno not just tune and pray.
Without direct access to the car and months of testing and data logging this is exactly what you are getting "tune and pray". The only reason someone would be this foolish would be if they were too cheap to buy the real thing. There is nobody in their right mind and who has the funds that would take a home garage tuner making a remote tune on a supercharged car VS the guys who actually spent years perfecting it. The only possible exception would be is if the file was borrowed from an ESS car and reused. Even then not worth the risk IMO. There is no way in hell I would let a 3rd party tune my ESS kit.
BuckRodgers is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
maaicher
Captain
 
maaicher's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet black E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 732
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansM View Post
No conflict started its ok. I went with Mike because I was a loyal customer seeking the same top notch service. Besides, I got a lot more for my dollar with my tune including; cold start RPM reduction, and servo-tronic. Mike was also very forward with me in that he made sure every aspect that needed to be addressed would be covered in order for the car to run correctly. As stated before, he went to the extent of flow benching my injector sizing for proper scaling and pulse width parameters. I feel like I had a more personal, hands on tuning experience with my SC car than any other could offer. Meaning not just a cable sent and a file uploaded. He made sure I was covered safely and that I would have the enjoyment that I sought from a SC. This doesn't mean the ESS isn't good, just that Mikes was more personal and offered more plus he stand behind it.
Gotcha, sounds like he took very good care of you. Looking forward to your dyno results and seeing how the car holds up. Enjoy it as much as you can
__________________
SOLD 2008 Jet Black E92 M3 * HRE C20 19in Wheels * KW Clubsport * Huper Ceramic Tint * Stop-Tech Trophy BBK *Gintani SC & Gintani Custom Exhaust* Vertice Front Bumper*Arkym Diffuser*
maaicher is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
Skooterbrah
First Lieutenant
 
Skooterbrah's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 alpine white dct
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Colorado

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Any interest in tuning a ESS 650+ car on 9psi on E85? May be bumping to 10-11psi once the switch to corn is made
__________________
-08 E92 Brushed Steel DCT-
KW V3's - AR Design - Volk TE37 - Vorsteiner - ESS/AR 700
-2012 GTR Premium-
Jacks 3.8 - Jacks Drag 800 w/ billet gears - AAM GT-900R - Swift - DPE ST7's - Ecutek via Visconti - 9.4 @150mph 7200ft DA - 185.5mph 1/2 mile 9240ft DA
Skooterbrah is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
maaicher
Captain
 
maaicher's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet black E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 732
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
you used to have a gintani exhaust and sc kit...same could be said for you. not trying to start anything as i have no problem with gintani and would love to run their products, always have. just saying you don't have a valid argument there. you could have chosen ess and probably eisenmann exhaust at the time since they are companies that are "proven to be the most reliable".
Not sure why my history with Gintani would render my argument invalid. Alex tuned my car from the beginning and it always ran great at the track. Never had any issues. I went with Gintani because they were the most local company to me, so support would always be available if any issues occurred. I would have probably went with ESS if I lived in their area.

The basis for the question was in regards to the OP choosing a tune from a third party over the manufacturer. The fact that ESS is the most reputable Supercharger company on the forum just added fluff to the question.
__________________
SOLD 2008 Jet Black E92 M3 * HRE C20 19in Wheels * KW Clubsport * Huper Ceramic Tint * Stop-Tech Trophy BBK *Gintani SC & Gintani Custom Exhaust* Vertice Front Bumper*Arkym Diffuser*
maaicher is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
Superfly_M3
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
Without direct access to the car and months of testing and data logging this is exactly what you are getting "tune and pray". The only reason someone would be this foolish would be if they were too cheap to buy the real thing. There is nobody in their right mind and who has the funds that would take a home garage tuner making a remote tune on a supercharged car VS the guys who actually spent years perfecting it. The only possible exception would be is if the file was borrowed from an ESS car and reused. Even then not worth the risk IMO. There is no way in hell I would let a 3rd party tune my ESS kit.
BuckRodgers,

OP said he was happy with the tune, and happy with Customer Service. In the end, only time will tell right? I mean, it must have taken 100x more effort to tune a supercharged car than N/A car, so this "home garage tuner" must know what he is doing right?
Good Job Mike
Superfly_M3 is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
happos2
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,070
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
blah blah blah
Thank you for your opinion which is fine since you are entitled to it and your property (in all seriousness). But to accuse BPM of taking ESS files and modifying without any proof, your accusation has no base and shows your ignorance. Also saying it isn't reliable with no proof.... ugh. And nobody that has funds? Home garage tuner? You made me speechless!!! Congrats!


As for usefulness, can't wait to see the dyno. And I am glad the OP is enjoying their car.
happos2 is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #19
TMR
Colonel
 
TMR's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Torrance

Posts: 2,710
iTrader: (11)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
BuckRodgers,

OP said he was happy with the tune, and happy with Customer Service. In the end, only time will tell right? I mean, it must have taken 100x more effort to tune a supercharged car than N/A car, so this "home garage tuner" must know what he is doing right?
Good Job Mike
__________________
2011 E92 M3 : Slek Wide Body, BPM Tuned, Activeauto Coilovers, Savini Wheels, 345/285 of Nitto rubber, Litespeed Racing Titanium Exhaust
www.tmrmzine.com/m3/slek and www.tmrmzine.com/328
SOLD E92 335i Stage 3+ with all the toys www.tmrmzine.com/335/
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
TMR is online now   United_States
0
      09-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
Superfly_M3
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 964
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
As for usefulness, can't wait to see the dyno. And I am glad the OP is enjoying their car.
A dyno with full data log would be awesome, don't you think?
Superfly_M3 is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #21
DansM
Private First Class
 
DansM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 white/Fox red-DCT
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Boynton beach, FL

Posts: 182
iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckRodgers View Post
Without direct access to the car and months of testing and data logging this is exactly what you are getting "tune and pray". The only reason someone would be this foolish would be if they were too cheap to buy the real thing. There is nobody in their right mind and who has the funds that would take a home garage tuner making a remote tune on a supercharged car VS the guys who actually spent years perfecting it. The only possible exception would be is if the file was borrowed from an ESS car and reused. Even then not worth the risk IMO. There is no way in hell I would let a 3rd party tune my ESS kit.
I then doesn't take years to perfect. Tuning is simple if yiu know wheat your doing. Certain parameters change with boost and mostly it's to do with the car recognizing or not recognizing boost. Having a sound fuel curve and timing advances throughout the load/rpm range is also imperative when running sc. As I'm any tune wether NA or boosted-these parameters are not impoasie to figure out. The the car is safe and I trust mike with his work. He's seen and been around all this stuff for many years and he's no back yard tuner as you stated. If there was a problem, the drivability of the car would shows his tunes flaws but in fact it is proven to work amazing this far. I shall give up dates every so often but so far no complaints, no check engine lights, and no worries. Oh. Also, since I am an existing customer, mike gaveme a discount. I'm glad I have his cable
DansM is offline  
0
      09-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
happos2
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,070
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
A dyno with full data log would be awesome, don't you think?
Always....though I would have no idea what I am looking at! I could probably figure it out if I studied it a little.

Anyways, this will eventually turn into a bash fest between ESS and BPM, just waiting for it... I don't see why there can't be equal competition where person X prefers product A over product B that person Y prefers. Like clothing / watches / etc...
happos2 is offline  
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
banhammer, benvo, benvo epic meltdown

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST