BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GetBMWParts

05-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #23
Green///Hell
Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 6MT AW

That actually can be straightened out and maybe painted pretty well, but most would opt for the replacement fender, but you don't absolutely need it
      05-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #24
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
No kidding. I was expecting holes and gashes and all kinds of carnage. This is nothing.
+1!

To the OP,
The damage that your car sustained is easily repaired by a reputable bodyshop.
      05-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #25
saeedg48
Brigadier General

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
No kidding. I was expecting holes and gashes and all kinds of carnage. This is nothing.
looks like chocolate lol

2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
saeedg48 is offline   Iran
      05-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #26
mrwonder
Gone but not forgotten: 08 E92 AW M3

Drives: 2009 Mini JCW Cabrio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by major_kusanagi View Post
also remember to file a diminished-value claim. And this will take some haggling with the other driver's insurance company.
I assume this is a claim for the value decrease of the car even after it's repaired. How is the amount normally determined?
mrwonder is offline   United_States
      05-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #27
kenwelch
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT

A high quality body shop can provide the answer on replacement or repair after a complete inspection. I was lucky enough to be able to visit a local outstanding facility with LA BMW CCA and later as an automotive instructor completing an externship at Spectrum Auto Collision in Irvine, CA. Spectrum is BMW certified and one of the few certified GTR facilities.

I have included a couple of pictures of an E92 M3 being meticulously repaired.
Note: This is not my car and I am not implying that your quarter panel needs to be replaced. I have provided the pictures so you can see what a quality replacement looks like. I am an ASE Master Body and Paint Technician. Years ago I taught Auto Body repair classes for our local ROP and taught I-CAR certification classes for industry technicians.

You will notice in the first picture that the technician has even has matched the BMW factory brush strokes in the seam sealer. Remember that all of his brush strokes will be hidden by the bumper. The spot welds are even matched to the original pattern and number. The quarter panel is seamed at the C pillar and rocker panel. When the repair is completed this owner will have a vehicle that will be VERY difficult to see the “repaired” area.
Attached Images

kenwelch is offline   United_States
      05-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #28
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetitPimousse View Post
So assuming no frame damage (crossing my fingers hard here), a new rear bumper, new rear quarter, new door, new side skirt + install + paint am I looking at $20k+?
That's a freaking fender-bender man. No way in hell I'd get the rear panel replaced. Learn about the carnage (like above pictures) involved in replacing that panel before you make up your mind. Besides, I can almost bet my house no insurance company would pay for rear panel replacement with so little damage, so you'd have to foot the bill for the difference. I wouldn't even replace the door. I'm a perfectionist, but replacing parts is NOT always the best route. Your damage should be less than $5K. Mine was $10K, but almost half that was in wheels (scratched) alone, and I needed front bumper and front right fender replaced. Just like mine, PRD will leave your rear panel almost perfect. Just get a reputable bodyshop; that's the hardest part. Ask for references. Good luck. And next time don't exaggerate .

Last edited by elp_jc; 05-02-2010 at 03:18 PM.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      05-02-2010, 03:08 PM   #29
PetitPimousse
Private

Drives: E92 M3

Maybe it's not clear from the pics but the rear quarter and door are really bent in. I don't know much about body work so I didn't realize that such damage was repairable back to perfection. If so, it's good news.
      05-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #30
PetitPimousse
Private

Hey guys, so as you'd said according to the first body shop I went to it should be fixable. The shop owner seemed to think it can be repaired 100%, and if not they'll then look into the replacement option. It should take about 2 weeks to repair but I'm still waiting on the insurance adjuster to come by. Can't wait to have it all fixed up!
      05-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #31
PetitPimousse
Private

Ok I need some help again... The other driver's insurance is having trouble contacting him. Apparently, they legally have 45 days before they just move onto the police report and make a decision based off that. My insurance said unfortunately they do have that 45 day window. Anyone have experience with this, and have advice on what I can do?
Obviously the other driver is being noncompliant because he's at fault...
What a downer this situation is...
      05-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #32
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness

Drives: Slowly

You can always let your ins co pay and then they'll go after the other co for reimbursement. Only downside to that is you're on the hook for your deductible which won't get reimbursed until your ins co gets paid by the other co.

And no, this won't make your rates go up.
quality_sound is offline   United_States