BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
View Poll Results: Do you believe in God?
Yes 37 41.57%
No 52 58.43%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #23
fdsasdasdf
Captain
 
fdsasdasdf's Avatar
 
Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 779
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
People with higer IQs are less likely to believe in God.
Already destroyed this argument.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347065

There's no correlation. Math does not lie
fdsasdasdf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2010, 07:11 PM   #24
radix
there's something different about him
 
radix's Avatar
 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Already destroyed this argument.
Yes, you did, and quite admirably I might add. Your analysis brought a smile to my face.
radix is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #25
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
At last we've found some common ground. I would tend to believe in a sort of pantheism or spinozism however.
LOL finally. You have to admit the graph I made is funny though...dick move but whatever. BRB while I wikipedia pantheism or spinozism...
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #26
whyrms
Private
 
Drives: foot mobile.
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: san jose

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

wait...what God are we talking about? Christian's God? Crom (from hyborian age), or Flying Spaghetti Monster?

If you're just talking about a being called "God" then I would respectfully disagree with you. Lots of great scientists believes in a "God" such as Einstein, Isaac Newton, Galileo, Maxwell, Planck, Pasteur...etc...though it may not be the Christian's God, but a higher more being.

I think most atheist will agree that there is certainly no Christian's God, but I think most doesn't discount the fact that there might be a "God" which is the creator of the universe (who doesn't care if you worship him/it or not and doesn't give a crap about your prayers).
whyrms is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2010, 11:57 PM   #27
lib
Major
 
lib's Avatar
 
Drives: <This space for rent>
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ATX

Posts: 1,405
iTrader: (0)

Some people follow a belief system with ten commandments.
Others follow a belief system with no commandments.

My personal belief system has one commandment; Keep thy religion to thy self.
lib is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 12:16 AM   #28
Dan in PA
Captain
 
Dan in PA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA

Posts: 730
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Fanatics on both sides of the issue are retarded.

/thread
Dan in PA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 12:17 AM   #29
BMW F22
Major General
 
BMW F22's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M235i
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Around the Bay

Posts: 8,265
iTrader: (8)

I like God of war...
BMW F22 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 12:33 AM   #30
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,761
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
Fanatics on both sides of the issue are retarded.

/thread
Yeah pretty much.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #31
ChrisFastM3
Captain
 
ChrisFastM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 vert w/ LOTS of mods
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 676
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
So you can prove that God does exist...
I'll try my best scientifically.... Quantum physics proves that reality cannot exist without existence. When we literally look @ something, things act differently then when we're not. Use some common sense, rewind back to the beginning of time, & tell me how this can be without God?

If you're not familiar w/ quantum physics, here is an easy to understand 5 minute video which scratches the surface of it.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DfPeprQ7oGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&co lor2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DfPeprQ7oGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&co lor2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]
ChrisFastM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #32
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,761
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
I'll try my best scientifically.... Quantum physics proves that reality cannot exist without existence. When we literally look @ something, things act differently then when we're not. Use some common sense, rewind back to the beginning of time, & tell me how this can be without God?

If you're not familiar w/ quantum physics, here is an easy to understand 5 minute video which scratches the surface of it.
My head just asploded.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #33
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,761
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Already destroyed this argument.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347065

There's no correlation. Math does not lie
Yeah dude I'd have to say it was a ridiculously thorough, impressive, and unbiased display of stat skillz.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #34
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
 
UncleWede's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

Posts: 2,294
iTrader: (0)

IQ ~ 136
Catholic who will share his beleif, but won't cram it down your throat because that won't do either of us any good.
UncleWede is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #35
radix
there's something different about him
 
radix's Avatar
 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
I'll try my best scientifically.... Quantum physics proves that reality cannot exist without existence.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but that statement is inherently tautological.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
When we literally look @ something, things act differently then when we're not. Use some common sense, rewind back to the beginning of time, & tell me how this can be without God?

That is not an accurate interpretation of the schroedinger's cat experiment. The principle of superposition maintains that an object is in all possible states until such time as it's state is observed. This means you don't kill a person just by looking at them, because they were already in the state "alive", and simultaneously in the state "dead".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
If you're not familiar w/ quantum physics, here is an easy to understand 5 minute video which scratches the surface of it.
Ironically, at least for your argument, it was quantum physics that explained why the big bang did not need to be initiated by an outside force (god).
radix is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #36
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
 
Yearofthe1's Avatar
 
Drives: VFR1200F
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: N. Va.

Posts: 691
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
I wasn't making a statement against or for atheism, just a statement against that statement


By that logic, our warranty is non-existent too...now that's scary!
I was agreeing wholeheartedly with you. Just strengthening your point a little
__________________
135i Montego Blue, Grey Boston Leather, MT, Sport Package, Premium Package, Navi, Premium Sound, Heated Seats, iPod.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Yearofthe1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #37
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
 
MMMorish's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,836
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
So you can prove that God does exist...
No, but I believe in Him with all my heart. Faith is about believing without seeing.

The big bang cannot be proved either because no one was acutally there to see it, but most athiests believe it to be true.

Again, faith is believing without seeing.
__________________
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
MMMorish is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #38
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
 
xbook's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northridge, CA

Posts: 1,536
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
No, but I believe in Him with all my heart. Faith is about believing without seeing.

The big bang cannot be proved either because no one was acutally there to see it, but most athiests believe it to be true.

Again, faith is believing without seeing.
I believe in the force. Yoda taught me all about it back on Dagobah
__________________
xbook is offline   Zimbabwe
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #39
radix
there's something different about him
 
radix's Avatar
 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
I believe in the force. Yoda taught me all about it back on Dagobah
Your post is a prime example of the sort of inconsiderate, mocking derision that makes the discussion worse than pointless.

Last edited by radix; 05-01-2010 at 12:12 AM.
radix is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #40
ChineseGuy
QuickShifter
 
ChineseGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: Black E90
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North Pole

Posts: 1,500
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
No, but I believe in Him with all my heart. Faith is about believing without seeing.

The big bang cannot be proved either because no one was acutally there to see it, but most athiests believe it to be true.

Again, faith is believing without seeing.
Big Bang cannot be proved, but there are enough evidence that make people feel it's very plausible.

We can't really find any good evidence to prove a talking snake, Noah's ark with animals with two of each species, carbon dating to date the earth is only 6-8K years old, and etc...
ChineseGuy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #41
Dan in PA
Captain
 
Dan in PA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA

Posts: 730
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Your post is a prime example of the sort of inconsiderate, mocking, derision that makes the discussion worse than pointless.



There shouldn't be a comma between mocking and derision.
__________________
2013 BMW Z4 sDrive35i|DCT|M-Sport|iDrive|Premium Sound|Heated Seats|Comfort Access|PDC|Deep Sea Blue|Cream
[At the port of exit awaiting a shipping vessel since 8/17/12]
Dan in PA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #42
radix
there's something different about him
 
radix's Avatar
 
Drives: -
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: -

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in PA View Post
There shouldn't be a comma between mocking and derision.
Fixed. The list of coordinate adjectives was longer at one point. After eliding one and changing the noun, I forgot to remove the extra comma.
radix is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2010, 12:25 AM   #43
Dan in PA
Captain
 
Dan in PA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: PA

Posts: 730
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radix View Post
Fixed. The list of coordinate adjectives was longer at one point. After eliding one and changing the noun, I forgot to remove the extra comma.



I'm glad you took my post in good humor
__________________
2013 BMW Z4 sDrive35i|DCT|M-Sport|iDrive|Premium Sound|Heated Seats|Comfort Access|PDC|Deep Sea Blue|Cream
[At the port of exit awaiting a shipping vessel since 8/17/12]
Dan in PA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #44
whyrms
Private
 
Drives: foot mobile.
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: san jose

Posts: 73
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFastM3 View Post
I'll try my best scientifically.... Quantum physics proves that reality cannot exist without existence. When we literally look @ something, things act differently then when we're not. Use some common sense, rewind back to the beginning of time, & tell me how this can be without God?

If you're not familiar w/ quantum physics, here is an easy to understand 5 minute video which scratches the surface of it.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DfPeprQ7oGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&co lor2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DfPeprQ7oGc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0xe1600f&co lor2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Dude! I followed your link and found something else that blew my mind into little pieces!
whyrms is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST