BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 958
iTrader: (6)

EAS OEM Exhaust Mod Questions

Does this exhaust (axle-back only) drone at all? I've read conflicting reports, so I'd like to hear some more on this.

Also, I'm looking to purchase it with the black powdercoated tips. Is anyone experiencing finish issues do to heat developed at the race track for example?

Is there anyone in Orange County that has this set-up? I'd love to hear it in person if possible.

Thanks for your feedback!
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #2
Boxed
Private
 
Drives: E92 m3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Cape coral

Posts: 55
iTrader: (0)

about 10% louder during start up. It has a deep growl pass 4k rpm. No drone in lower rpm. sounds stock under 3k rpm. its perfect.

my quick start up,rev video

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...87601354179945
Boxed is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 958
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed View Post
about 10% louder during start up. It has a deep growl pass 4k rpm. No drone in lower rpm. sounds stock under 3k rpm. its perfect.

my quick start up,rev video

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...87601354179945
So you don't experience any drone on the freeway in 6th gear at approx. 80mph? That is primarily what I'm concerned with.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,305
iTrader: (5)

You're getting test pipes right???
Was the B&B too loud?

.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 12:13 AM   #5
Hyperjack
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: California

Posts: 783
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
So you don't experience any drone on the freeway in 6th gear at approx. 80mph? That is primarily what I'm concerned with.
i'm considering going the same route...even with the black exhaust tips.

i definitely like to know about the drone at freeway speeds.
Hyperjack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #6
dagolfpro
Lieutenant Colonel
 
dagolfpro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Posts: 1,793
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Does this exhaust (axle-back only) drone at all? I've read conflicting reports, so I'd like to hear some more on this.

I did the ACM method, mine doesn't drone at all.

Also, I'm looking to purchase it with the black powdercoated tips. Is anyone experiencing finish issues do to heat developed at the race track for example?

I had a local shop PC my tips semi gloss black, no issues at all after 8 track days.

Is there anyone in Orange County that has this set-up? I'd love to hear it in person if possible.

Sorry, I had mine done in Nor Cal, so can't help you there.

Thanks for your feedback!
See above
__________________
2011 E90 AW | DCT | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | Prem Sound | Moonroof | BMW Apps |
Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Painted Reflectors | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | 18" Volks TE37SL Pressed Graphite | Yokohama AD08 | Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
dagolfpro is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 12:46 AM   #7
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,582
iTrader: (0)

the EAS OEM will drone, period. its just a matter of how much. people really do not understand the meaning of ZERO drone.

a car can have very little drone and be totaly ok to drive with everyday, but technically thats what drone is!

the EAS is a muffler delete, to say it doesn't drone is beyond me.
Ezio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
Hyperjack
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: California

Posts: 783
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
See above
what is the ACM method?
Hyperjack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #9
dagolfpro
Lieutenant Colonel
 
dagolfpro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Posts: 1,793
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
the EAS OEM will drone, period. its just a matter of how much. people really do not understand the meaning of ZERO drone.

a car can have very little drone and be totaly ok to drive with everyday, but technically thats what drone is!

the EAS is a muffler delete, to say it doesn't drone is beyond me.
I'm curious, what is your definition of drone. The reason why I ask, I've heard different definitions of it. My definition, no buzzing, no loud vibration sound. I've had different guys in my car and no ones ever said my car drones as well. Therefore, I don't think mine drones.
__________________
2011 E90 AW | DCT | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | Prem Sound | Moonroof | BMW Apps |
Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Painted Reflectors | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | 18" Volks TE37SL Pressed Graphite | Yokohama AD08 | Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
dagolfpro is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #10
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,582
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
I'm curious, what is your definition of drone. The reason why I ask, I've heard different definitions of it. My definition, no buzzing, no loud vibration sound. I've had different guys in my car and no ones ever said my car drones as well. Therefore, I don't think mine drones.
Its having engine exhaust sounds at cruising speeds. I have a mod done, its totally fine for everyday driving. but again there is very little drone. i have the two perforated method which deals with drone little better.

the way you have it is a bypass( ACM/EAS). there is ZERO drone channeling system in a muffler delete. I am just voicing my experiences with exhaust over the years.

OP lives in CA (M3 capital) , probably should ask a fellow M3 owner for a ride along.
Ezio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #11
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 958
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You're getting test pipes right???
Was the B&B too loud?

.
No test pipes in my future. I don't want to deal with a tune or CEL.

The B&B was perfect, but I just wanted a change in sound and look. I sold it to another member here who I'm sure will enjoy it as much as I did.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 958
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfpro View Post
See above
Thank you for your feedback.

As I understand it, the "ACM method" is the bypass method. I'm assuming that the way EAS cuts and welds would be similar, but not necessarily the same as others that have it done. That is why I'm trying to find folks that have the EAS mod done.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 958
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
the EAS OEM will drone, period. its just a matter of how much. people really do not understand the meaning of ZERO drone.

a car can have very little drone and be totaly ok to drive with everyday, but technically thats what drone is!

the EAS is a muffler delete, to say it doesn't drone is beyond me.
This is my suspicion as well. I'm thinking no hemholtz = drone at some level.

My previous set-up was very very livable for daily driving, but there was a little drone there.

To be honest, I'm kind of enjoying the stock exhaust at the moment as there is much more engine/intake noise in the cabin.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #14
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 958
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
Its having engine exhaust sounds at cruising speeds. I have a mod done, its totally fine for everyday driving. but again there is very little drone. i have the two perforated method which deals with drone little better.

the way you have it is a bypass( ACM/EAS). there is ZERO drone channeling system in a muffler delete. I am just voicing my experiences with exhaust over the years.

OP lives in CA (M3 capital) , probably should ask a fellow M3 owner for a ride along.
Yeah, I gotta get a ride-a-long for confirmation.
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #15
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General
 
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

Posts: 3,236
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
This is my suspicion as well. I'm thinking no hemholtz = drone at some level.

My previous set-up was very very livable for daily driving, but there was a little drone there.

To be honest, I'm kind of enjoying the stock exhaust at the moment as there is much more engine/intake noise in the cabin.
Right....i have done this Oem. exhaust mod. by myself (replaced the 2 big perforated pipes) and i'm 100 % sure ....0.0 drone !!!(and sounds just perfect !) i did this for 15 USD and one day of work ,best thing i ever did !
With this mod. you still have the Helmholtz chambers and they are designed against drone !
But...with ACM, ESS the straight true mod. is louder but delete the Helmholtz and your car.....will drone !!!
For further questions you can PM me
And that's why i did the 2 perforated method,here a link to my post of it vvv
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
chili cheese
Captain
 
chili cheese's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 E92 M3, Santorini Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 958
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Right....i have done this Oem. exhaust mod. by myself (replaced the 2 big perforated pipes) and i'm 100 % sure ....0.0 drone !!!(and sounds just perfect !) i did this for 15 USD and one day of work ,best thing i ever did !
With this mod. you still have the Helmholtz chambers and they are designed against drone !
But...with ACM, ESS the straight true mod. is louder but delete the Helmholtz and your car.....will drone !!!
For further questions you can PM me
And that's why i did the 2 perforated method,here a link to my post of it vvv
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
Thanks!
chili cheese is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
dagolfpro
Lieutenant Colonel
 
dagolfpro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Posts: 1,793
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Right....i have done this Oem. exhaust mod. by myself (replaced the 2 big perforated pipes) and i'm 100 % sure ....0.0 drone !!!(and sounds just perfect !) i did this for 15 USD and one day of work ,best thing i ever did !
With this mod. you still have the Helmholtz chambers and they are designed against drone !
But...with ACM, ESS the straight true mod. is louder but delete the Helmholtz and your car.....will drone !!!
For further questions you can PM me
And that's why i did the 2 perforated method,here a link to my post of it vvv
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
Its having engine exhaust sounds at cruising speeds. I have a mod done, its totally fine for everyday driving. but again there is very little drone. i have the two perforated method which deals with drone little better.

the way you have it is a bypass( ACM/EAS). there is ZERO drone channeling system in a muffler delete. I am just voicing my experiences with exhaust over the years.

OP lives in CA (M3 capital) , probably should ask a fellow M3 owner for a ride along.
I've ridden in my buddy's car who had his perf pipes replaced instead of the bypass and I can't tell the difference at higher speeds between the 2 cars (we both have DCT). Maybe my ears don't know what to listen for, I wouldn't be surprised by it. I can only go based on my experiences simply trying to help and provide some input.

Good Luck OP
__________________
2011 E90 AW | DCT | ZCP | ZCV | ZCW | ZP2 | Prem Sound | Moonroof | BMW Apps |
Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Painted Reflectors | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | 18" Volks TE37SL Pressed Graphite | Yokohama AD08 | Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
dagolfpro is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST