BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

04-26-2010, 03:56 AM   #1
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Thumbs up Turner Test Pipes

Had the Turner test pipes installed today, which basically provides a primary cat delete for the OEM exhaust system. I've been searching for an exhaust setup that gives me performance gains close to a full aftermarket setup yet sounds as close as possible to the OEM system, especially in daily driver situations.

I've tried a couple of exhaust combinations prior to this:

1. AA X-Pipe w/ HFC + Factory Exhaust - this was terrible - lot's of drone and resonance between 2000-4000rpm. Performance was very good, the sound was just the issue for me.

2. Akrapovic Evolution Full Exhaust - very nice sound but still a little too loud for my liking at low RPM in daily driving scenarios. No significant drone and no resonance whatsoever - best sounding aftermarket full exhaust IMO. Performance was very good, except for torque dip around 2500rpm.

This was basically my last attempt at getting decent performance out of the exhaust system whilst remaining as OEM sounding and looking as possible.

I must say I am 100% pleased with the results. You would not be able to detect in-cabin that there has been any change from the factory system, except when you go WOT where the exhaust has some more rasp in its tone. This is exactly what I wanted - something that maintains the BMW's refined character and mellow tones during daily driving, yet sounds more aggressive under hard driving.

From a performance perspective, there is definitely a noticeable improvement in performance, especially in low to mid-RPM torque. I haven't really had too much of a chance to go hard at high RPMs but it does pull harder up top nicely. There is no torque "dip" like what is observed with the Akrapovic system and many other full exhaust systems.

Pros for this setup
- Best bang for buck - Turner test pipes only cost ~$350US new. I got them for just over $200US unused from another member.
- Stealthy - if that's what you want. This is very close to the factory exhaust system and you only notice a difference in tone when you go WOT
- Close to full exhaust system performance - I'm sure you will get a bit more power with a full exhaust system, perhaps 5-10HP...

Cons for this setup
- You need to cut the factory exhaust system
- You need a tune that disables emissions checking (in my case, I have Powerchip)
- Probably an issue in countries/states where vehicle modification/emissions laws are strict
- Not for you if you want to make lots of noise

Last edited by mixja; 04-26-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
C'sM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 2011 X5M

What about the secondary cats?

Does Turner's pipes eliminate both the primary and secondary cats or just the primary cats? I went to Turner's web site and it doesn't say? I don't see how you can get 40 whp while still having the secondary cats in even if you have a tune!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I had an exhaust shop do the same thing on my car. They just cut out the primary cats and bent a pair of straight pipes, then welded them in place. Works pretty well, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than a full aftermarket x-pipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

It is kinda comical that you only just got these installed.

It was almost a year ago that I sold them to you...... glad you like them!!!
      04-26-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
NavM3
M-Sport
Rep
Drives: 2011 GT-R

Nice review. In the future, I I go with the M3, that's exactly what I'd since I don't want to make the car too loud. Did the shop use clamps or did they weld the pipes?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

John,

I think you should try what Drew's set up is!

is uses his car daily too. he now has a Gintani x-pipe w/4resonators + OEM rear muffler. and great performance too.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S,997GT2, i3
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'sM3 View Post
Does Turner's pipes eliminate both the primary and secondary cats or just the primary cats? I went to Turner's web site and it doesn't say? I don't see how you can get 40 whp while still having the secondary cats in even if you have a tune!
The test pipes only eliminate the primary cats. The key aspect of making performance out of an exhaust system is exhaust gas velocity, and most of the performance gains on any exhaust system relate to the first 25% of the system where exhaust gas velocity is highest. Removing restrictions at this point of the system therefore makes the most gains. As you move further away from the engine, exhaust gas velocity slows due to cooling and removing restrictions like the secondary cats yield lesser gains.

The setup with the Turner test pipes is similar to the Akrapovic setup in terms of the cat locations - granted the Akrapovic setup has a high flow cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
It is kinda comical that you only just got these installed.

It was almost a year ago that I sold them to you...... glad you like them!!!
Yeah - I had a broken engine mount issue which took many months to identify and I had to painfully leave the car in stock trim until it was resolved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavM3 View Post
Nice review. In the future, I I go with the M3, that's exactly what I'd since I don't want to make the car too loud. Did the shop use clamps or did they weld the pipes?
The Turner test pipes come with clamps - the ends of the pipes are flared such that they just slide over the top of the OEM system and then you clamp them.

Last edited by mixja; 04-26-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
buddster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Did you notice any change in smell on the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #9
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddster View Post
Did you notice any change in smell on the car?
No I haven't noticed any change in smell.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
BothMyE92M3sBroke
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars that don't blow up.

I wonder if the Turner Test pipes would work with the Sosi X-pipe?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376299

The Turner pipes delete the primary, while the Sosi delete the secondary right? So, if clamped together right, could you clamp the Turner Test pipes on to the Sosi X-pipe that's supposed to be coming out?

That would be a very interesting way to be able to change out your setup whenever you feel like it, I think! (If it works.)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 12:39 AM   #11
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep

^ Probably easier to go with an X-Pipe as it effectively achieves the same result.

The Turner test pipes really are aimed at people that want to retain the OEM exhaust but get almost the same performance as a full aftermarket system...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Since you cut the primary cats off and clamp on the turner test pipes to your OEM x-pipe, would you then be able to remove the turner test pipes and clamp on your OEM primary cats back on if you decide you don't like the setup? I don't want to buy a new OEM xpipe, but still want to go to stock if the sound of the turner pipes with Eisenmann race sounds bad.
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #13
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahmood07 View Post
Since you cut the primary cats off and clamp on the turner test pipes to your OEM x-pipe, would you then be able to remove the turner test pipes and clamp on your OEM primary cats back on if you decide you don't like the setup? I don't want to buy a new OEM xpipe, but still want to go to stock if the sound of the turner pipes with Eisenmann race sounds bad.
No I believe you would have to re weld your cats because there isn't enough room for the clamp to fit.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
Mahmood07
Captain
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
No I believe you would have to re weld your cats because there isn't enough room for the clamp to fit.
Thanks it's worth the risk then i guess..
///M3 Mods: | Eisenmann Race Exhaust | Primary Cats Delete (TTP) | ESS Tune | 19" Advan RS | Eibach Springs | MS Air Filter | BMW Perf. Spoiler | BMW Perf. Splitters | Euro LCI Tail lights | Angel iBright v.3.0 | 20% Tint | Matte black Kidney Grills | CF Side Gills | Painted Reflectors | Black M3 emblem
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #15
Sean05
Putcha ang ganda...
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 08 MR E92 M3

Send a message via Yahoo to Sean05
Hmmmm this sound interesting i might do this screw te primary cats....
      06-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #16
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 Jet Black M3 (#6!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
I wonder if the Turner Test pipes would work with the Sosi X-pipe?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376299

The Turner pipes delete the primary, while the Sosi delete the secondary right? So, if clamped together right, could you clamp the Turner Test pipes on to the Sosi X-pipe that's supposed to be coming out?

That would be a very interesting way to be able to change out your setup whenever you feel like it, I think! (If it works.)
While this will work to remove all the cats from your car, you'll end up with the worst part of the stock exhaust still in place, the crushed section between the primary cats and the x pipe. It doesn't flow badly but if you are going to that much effort, you might as well get an x pipe that won't sound terrible. The Sosi is unresonated and will sound horribly raspy, at least to me.

DSC_1231
by kitwetzler, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #17
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 Jet Black M3 (#6!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
This.

DSC_1231
by kitwetzler, on Flickr
Appreciate 0