BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Lux Angel Eyes

04-16-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello

Drives: 1999 528I

Garage List
BMW FTP Drive Cycle Questions

Currently my car is not in emissions compliant as the monitors are not in a ready state. I was told to try the BMW FTP Drive Cycle and realized that there is no way in hell (Chicago) that I would be able to do this ha.

So here is my question and I have read as much as I could without obtaining a 100 percent answer. And I am hoping this will help many others trying to complete this.

1. Does each stage have to be done from start to finish?
2. The first and last part are the easiest to do, the middle is which I am concerned about. My drive to the highway is a bit and it is pretty much stop and go. Will this effect the drive cycle?
3. Can I bounce around or does it have to be done in what is shown?

Any other helpful information would be great.
      04-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Stop and go will affect readiness.

When I had to get my monitors to set ready, I drove in the right lane of the freeway late at night between 50 and 55 mph. You also have to satisfy the lower speed tests which I found more difficult to find roads to accomplish this. Also let the car idle for 5 min the morning you take it in for smog (on cold start) to make sure SA goes ready.

Best thing to do is check with a generic scanner to see which monitors are ready and which are not, and try to individually satisfy the requirements for the monitors that did not pass on your next drive.

The tests do not need to be satisfied in one drive cycle - in fact, you'll usually need at least 2 or 3 to make it go full ready. Also make sure not to exceed 3k, 60 mph or any heavy throttle input as this will prevent it from being set. It will not, however, reset any monitors that have already gone ready.

Hope this helps

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      04-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello

Garage List
thanks for that, I have a OBDII scanner and I just found out that I can go through the tests and see what I am missing.
      04-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
whats77inaname
Banned

Drives: when at all possible

Do all of your sensors have to be in the ready state in order for you to pass compliance?
whats77inaname is offline   United_States
      04-17-2014, 04:07 PM   #5
dparm
Major

Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Do all of your sensors have to be in the ready state in order for you to pass compliance?
I believe it varies from state to state. If memory serves, Illinois will pass you if one is not ready, but two or more is a failure. I could be wrong about this though.
      04-17-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
whats77inaname
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I believe it varies from state to state. If memory serves, Illinois will pass you if one is not ready, but two or more is a failure. I could be wrong about this though.
You are correct about the state to state thing, I was just curious as to what Illinois requires. Here in TX, you can have 1 sensor not ready and pass.
      04-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post

When I had to get my monitors to set ready, I drove in the right lane of the freeway late at night between 50 and 55 mph. You also have to satisfy the lower speed tests which I found more difficult to find roads to accomplish this. Also let the car idle for 5 min the morning you take it in for smog (on cold start) to make sure SA goes ready.

Best thing to do is check with a generic scanner to see which monitors are ready and which are not, and try to individually satisfy the requirements for the monitors that did not pass on your next drive.

The tests do not need to be satisfied in one drive cycle - in fact, you'll usually need at least 2 or 3 to make it go full ready. Also make sure not to exceed 3k, 60 mph or any heavy throttle input as this will prevent it from being set. It will not, however, reset any monitors that have already gone ready.

Hope this helps
Thanks, so here is my issues, I have tried the complete drive cycle several times now. I was hoping that one by one each one would check off, but as of today none of them have been completed. This is beyond frustrating as I am running out of time and no idea what is going one.

Should I be reseting the car by pulling the battery or anything I should do to try to remedy this situation?
      04-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
Mike Benvo

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO
Quote:

Hope this helps
Thanks, so here is my issues, I have tried the complete drive cycle several times now. I was hoping that one by one each one would check off, but as of today none of them have been completed. This is beyond frustrating as I am running out of time and no idea what is going one.

Should I be reseting the car by pulling the battery or anything I should do to try to remedy this situation?
Which monitor is not ready?

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
      04-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello

Garage List
I just went and did the test again, looks like 2/4 are in ready state the ones that are not are the Oxygen Sensor Monitor and EVAP System Monitor, ugh guess I have to keep driving it slow lol
      04-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
dmk08
///Maniac

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
I just went and did the test again, looks like 2/4 are in ready state the ones that are not are the Oxygen Sensor Monitor and EVAP System Monitor, ugh guess I have to keep driving it slow lol
So is this after putting your stock x pipe back on and reverting to stock tune to pass?
      04-18-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
So is this after putting your stock x pipe back on and reverting to stock tune to pass?
I have not passed yes, I have a OBD2 scanner that is letting me know if I have all the necessary items ready to pass. Currently 2/4 with my Evolve X-Pipe are ready to go. I am hoping to pass with the evolve xpipe on as someone else who is running the same setup has in Illinois
      04-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
whats77inaname
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
I have not passed yes, I have a OBD2 scanner that is letting me know if I have all the necessary items ready to pass. Currently 2/4 with my Evolve X-Pipe are ready to go. I am hoping to pass with the evolve xpipe on as someone else who is running the same setup has in Illinois
Do your best to try and get the evap ready before the O2. Then inspect it. The other person that passed, I'd be surprised if the O2 was in a ready state.
      04-18-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
Mike Benvo

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO
You don't need to drive it anymore to pass evap. Turn the car off and let it sit until fully cold. Then drive it to operating temp and repeat. You should be oK after that.

04-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #14
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello

Garage List
Quote:
You don't need to drive it anymore to pass evap. Turn the car off and let it sit until fully cold. Then drive it to operating temp and repeat. You should be oK after that.
thanks
      04-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello

Garage List
so the only thing that is not ready is my Oxygen Sensor Monitor. Is it even possible without cats?

Last edited by mkPOTO; 04-25-2014 at 08:34 AM.