BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-23-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
dno64
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 Space Grey M3

BMW Star (*) rating

Does anyone know how relevant this is. Reason I ask is that I have replaced my front tyres with standard size Mich PS2, however they don't have the * on the tyre wall. Size and spec is exactly as was on the car previous just no * ?
      04-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Hopefully they'll last longer . Keep us posted. And I wouldn't worry about it; it's mostly marketing crap IMO. Tires look identical.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      04-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #3
brava09
Captain

Drives: '11 Audi RS5

I am not sure is marketing crap only.

I couldn't find rear tires with the same load unless is star rated.

I am also very interested in this, hope to get other opinions as well.

Anyone who replaced the tires with non-oem tires can confirm that the car rides and handles just as well?
      04-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
signes
Brigadier General

Drives: E90 M3

OP, see this thread for a recent discussion on this issue:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357212
signes is offline   United_States
      04-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
elp_jc
Brigadier General

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava09 View Post
I am not sure is marketing crap only.
I couldn't find rear tires with the same load unless is star rated.
I am also very interested in this, hope to get other opinions as well.
You were doing it right: looking for the proper LOAD RATING, not a star.

Bottom line is each tire is going to handle better in certain situations. As long as you don't exceed the load rating of the tires, you can experiment all you want. In this particular case, those 101Y tires are load-rated higher than stock, so no worries at all. Heck, Porsche specs that 101Y PS2 tire, even though it's a much lighter car than ours . I bet those 101s at 33 psi (stock psi) ride identical to our 97s at 35 psi, which is what I use. For people using their cars on the streets, it's not going to matter IMO, but to each his own.
elp_jc is offline   United_States
      04-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist

Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
You were doing it right: looking for the proper LOAD RATING, not a star.

Bottom line is each tire is going to handle better in certain situations. As long as you don't exceed the load rating of the tires, you can experiment all you want. In this particular case, those 101Y tires are load-rated higher than stock, so no worries at all. Heck, Porsche specs that 101Y PS2 tire, even though it's a much lighter car than ours . I bet those 101s at 33 psi (stock psi) ride identical to our 97s at 35 psi, which is what I use. For people using their cars on the streets, it's not going to matter IMO, but to each his own.
Note that the load rating may seem to be only about the car's load carrying capability but that rating is achieved by building up the sidewall, etc. So a higher load rating on a tire isn't necessarily better. Sometimes the car's suspension is set up for a given load rating on a given brand, model, and size of tire. The handling can be impacted as a result of the tire's design elements, particularly in the sidewall, that are there to attain a given load rating. I'm not saying that you have to be a slave to the "star" or anything else. Just choose knowing that the "star" tires are the OEM version of that brand, model, and size for that car.

By the way, my bad if we are saying the same thing which I think we are. You'll have to forgive me as I just finished the 2-Day M School and I'm a bit fried.
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
///M Rakete is offline   United_States
      04-25-2010, 03:49 AM   #7
SenorFunkyPants
Colonel

Drives: E92 DCT M3

If you want PS2s then buy the ones homologated for the car by BMW with the "star"...then there are no ifs or buts about whether they are suitable.
SenorFunkyPants is offline   United Kingdom