BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

European Auto Source

08-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #1
NasHH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

fix it ticket - modified exhaust

Hey guys, got a fix it ticket for my exhaust, I took it off and put my stock back on. First time I got this ticket and no idea how to fix this. I went to 2 stations and they just told me they don't have the equipment to check and they gave me a number to call, I called and they want $115 and to make an appointment.

I called some other stations and they told me the same thing, but I talked to a cop last time and I told him the story, he said he could sign it off if I had the car with me (which I didn't). So I know its possible since that cop could stamp it off for me.

I'm located around the San Gabriel area.
      08-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
meez
Sloppy Seconds Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 2011 DY E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NasHH View Post
Hey guys, got a fix it ticket for my exhaust, I took it off and put my stock back on. First time I got this ticket and no idea how to fix this. I went to 2 stations and they just told me they don't have the equipment to check and they gave me a number to call, I called and they want $115 and to make an appointment.

I called some other stations and they told me the same thing, but I talked to a cop last time and I told him the story, he said he could sign it off if I had the car with me (which I didn't). So I know its possible since that cop could stamp it off for me.

From my previous experience, once you have fixed the minor violation, you can show any police officer and they can sign it off.

I have had to do this at least half a dozen times with previous vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #3
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Most of the time you just need to go to a local Sheriff's office.
      08-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Man, what a hassle -- they get you for your exhaust being too loud? People don't even -have- exhausts down here on some of the beat-up cars
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:

Just wondering how did you get the ticket? Was it a checkpoint? Or did they pull you over cus it was too loud? I didn't know they could give a ticket for something like this.

Just hoping I don't get one of these!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #6
626m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Ive had the same problem. Go to your local CHP station, they will sign your ticket off. Then go to your court and pay the fine. CHP does it for free. Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

What the hell???
Modified exhaust? It's not illegal to change the exhaust. It pisses me off, because all the Harley riders get a free pass because it's a Harley, but they're WAY louder than most exhaust.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 03:35 AM   #8
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Go to chp have them sign your ticket. Sometimes it wont even be an officer it will be one of those neighborhood volunteers lol.

Then pay the $25 correctable fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
Rep

Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
What the hell???
Modified exhaust? It's not illegal to change the exhaust. It pisses me off, because all the Harley riders get a free pass because it's a Harley, but they're WAY louder than most exhaust.
It actually is illegal to modify your stock exhaust, and CA has been working on laws for motorcycles as well because generally speaking they're all too loud, let's be honest. My CBR1000RR with my shorty race exhaust setup was louder than anything I've heard...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
It actually is illegal to modify your stock exhaust

So happy to be in Texas....
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Seriously... I miss Texas, was born and raised in my early years in Houston.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
bcscout
///MFLIGHT STAFF/NORTHERN EUROPEAN MANAGER
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW F30 w/ M S ...  [0.00]
Wheels hanging outside the fenders, no doors, lift kits 10 ft in the air and they hassle you over some noise? I understand if you ran straight pipes and had to leave the house at 3AM. I just cops don't have anything better to do.

BPM Tune, Apex Lugs, RPI Scoops, OEM Mod Exhaust, Lux Angel Eyes, Blox Lugs, ZHP Shifter
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

At least it wasnt a REF ticket.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
dapopa9
Captain
Rep

I'm still interested in knowing how/why they pulled you over and gave you a ticket for this. Good knowledge so I don't get one!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #15
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Did the officer measure the exhaust sound with a decibel meter? Or he/she based it on sound of the exhaust from a human perspective?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Did the officer measure the exhaust sound with a decibel meter? Or he/she based it on sound of the exhaust from a human perspective?
Officers aren't licensed by the state of CA to do decibel readings... Everything they do even with speeding is all based on "visual estimation" or "sound estimation."
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #17
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
If its based on sound they should hang out in front of the Ford dealerships and pull over every person who drives out with a new mustang GT.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
NasHH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9
Quote:

Just wondering how did you get the ticket? Was it a checkpoint? Or did they pull you over cus it was too loud? I didn't know they could give a ticket for something like this.

Just hoping I don't get one of these!!
I was driving, accidentally went to 4 rpm and the cop pulled me over haha. Asked if my exhaust was modified, and asked if my engine was modified. Tried to get away with telling him the exhaust is stock, but he didn't buy it.

I went to the CHP (baldwin park?)and they told me they don't have the tools to check it out, so they gave me a number to call to make an appointment. Apparently they want 110 dollars to make an appointment. Called Monterey Park CHP and they told me the same thing?

Yeah my friend has a mustang with just straight pipes, loud as hell, but it's "American" so they just turn their heads most of the time..
      08-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
flea333
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP, LMB, DCT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
It actually is illegal to modify your stock exhaust, and CA has been working on laws for motorcycles as well because generally speaking they're all too loud, let's be honest. My CBR1000RR with my shorty race exhaust setup was louder than anything I've heard...
Unless of course you buy the BMW Performance Exhaust? Haha
      08-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #20
flea333
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP, LMB, DCT

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
Whenever I visit my fam in Dallas all I hear is cars and bikes drag racing somewhere nearby at night. I asked my bro if that's normal, he said pretty much. I'm like WTF, how awesome to live here and be able to drag everywhere. ... Then again, it was pretty annoying being it was midnight.

I had a 335i rental and rev'd it in a small town strip going 15mph, cops pulled me over (on foot) and tried to say they could get me for "Exhibition of Speed," which believe it or not, includes revving your engine or accelerating quickly.
      08-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #21
dapopa9
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I was driving, accidentally went to 4 rpm and the cop pulled me over haha. Asked if my exhaust was modified, and asked if my engine was modified. Tried to get away with telling him the exhaust is stock, but he didn't buy it.

I went to the CHP (baldwin park?)and they told me they don't have the tools to check it out, so they gave me a number to call to make an appointment. Apparently they want 110 dollars to make an appointment. Called Monterey Park CHP and they told me the same thing?

Yeah my friend has a mustang with just straight pipes, loud as hell, but it's "American" so they just turn their heads most of the time..

Wow that is nuts. So it is a ticket for modified exhaust huh? So doesn't matter if it is loud or not it?? thats messed up!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea333 View Post
Whenever I visit my fam in Dallas all I hear is cars and bikes drag racing somewhere nearby at night. I asked my bro if that's normal, he said pretty much. I'm like WTF, how awesome to live here and be able to drag everywhere. ... Then again, it was pretty annoying being it was midnight.

I had a 335i rental and rev'd it in a small town strip going 15mph, cops pulled me over (on foot) and tried to say they could get me for "Exhibition of Speed," which believe it or not, includes revving your engine or accelerating quickly.
I got an exhibition of speed ticket about 15 yrs in Port A.....in my then CRX Si. I was incredulous *lol*
Appreciate 0