BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

INDustry distribution

04-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

Who's going to AutoClub Speedway HPDE wtih BMWCCA May 15-16?

The early registration discount is ending soon- 4/15/10.
The garage spaces are rented out this time for $25/day, which isn't bad at all.
It's a great event. For anyone who hasn't gone, you do about half the oval and the rest is in the infield. The configuration is called the Roval. There are a lot of youtube vids. You get to do most of the front straight around Nascar turn 1 which is a big banked turn. It's pretty amazing going flat out on the front straight the first time.

If you've never done a CCA event, they're very safe with an instructor in each car (except for some of the A guys who get signed off). There's no passing except in passing zones when the driver in front points you buy.

http://www.bmwclubla.org/media/docum...ation_2010.doc

Just fill out the application. Pay with paypal and includ the transaction number from paypal and save to desktop. Then e-mail it in. It's a little different than in the past where you faxed it in.

More info here with the waiver and tech inspection form: http://www.bmwclubla.org/club.php

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      04-13-2010, 01:08 AM   #2
Hellride
Private

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Jet Black

Thanks for the reminder. I'll be there.
      04-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Ca$hOnly
Major

Drives: E92 M3

What's the best way to go about this event? Is the 2 day prefect or is it too much? Do they teach different things on sat vs sunday?
      04-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

Next year going to go again.... Saving the funds for June, Buttonwillow has a Sat and Sun event with the SD chapter.
      04-13-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
aus
Major General

Definitely do the two day if you can. The first day is just figuring out the track while the second day you're learning to go fast.
I still have some trouble with the last part of the road course before going onto the straight.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      04-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #6
aus
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
Next year going to go again.... Saving the funds for June, Buttonwillow has a Sat and Sun event with the SD chapter.
I saw that. Just afraid it's going to be HOT HOT HOT out there. I remember it was pretty hot last year at that time.

There's also Las Vegas later this year, which should be cool. Its a 3 day event with the local chapter.
      04-15-2010, 01:13 AM   #7
Hellride
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Definitely do the two day if you can. The first day is just figuring out the track while the second day you're learning to go fast.
I still have some trouble with the last part of the road course before going onto the straight.
That's my favorite corner! What's giving you the trouble? I'd recommend both days too. First really is just warming up - with how fast this track is (since they don't use the chicane in Nascar 1 anymore) it's best to take your time to get up to speed.
      04-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
aus
Major General

last day before the price goes up. I guess making it the same day as Tax day wasn't a great idea!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellride View Post
That's my favorite corner! What's giving you the trouble? I'd recommend both days too. First really is just warming up - with how fast this track is (since they don't use the chicane in Nascar 1 anymore) it's best to take your time to get up to speed.
It's really the couple turns before that exit turn. I'm not carrying as much speed as I'd like exiting that last corner because I'm not set-up going in. I think I'm too anxious to get on the gas for the straight!!
      04-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
Hellride
Private

Quote:
It's really the couple turns before that exit turn. I'm not carrying as much speed as I'd like exiting that last corner because I'm not set-up going in. I think I'm too anxious to get on the gas for the straight!!
Last time my instructor and I were trying different things - he wanted me to take the final right-hander in early (I was taking it as a late apex to get to the outside earlier before the long left). We experimented, but in the end he really liked my line as the car doesn't get unsettled. Which helps when you load the car on the left. Then it's keep the throttle down and imagine the apex (its blind). Keep the right foot in all the way to Nascar 1!
      04-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
aus
Major General

It's that blind last apex that gets me too. I'm trying to apex way too early.
I hope there's more than just us two there. I'm sure the Sparkling Graphite car will be there... poor instructors.
      04-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
Hellride
Private

Quote:
It's that blind last apex that gets me too. I'm trying to apex way too early.
I hope there's more than just us two there. I'm sure the Sparkling Graphite car will be there... poor instructors.
Yeah... That's one you don't want to turn in early. I know of at least one other E92 that will be there.

Not sure how the instructors do it, to be honest. Sitting right seat has to be nerve racking!
      04-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #12
aus
Major General

Reminder bump. Only a couple weeks away.
      05-12-2010, 11:07 PM   #13
aus
Major General

LAST DAY TO REGISTER!!

Anyone else going?
      05-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #14
aus
Major General

I saw a few other E9x M3's out there. Anyone from here? Great weekend.
The car just seems to LOVE IT!!
      05-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
m3larson
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 Cayenne S 1997 M3 Track C

Quote:
I saw a few other E9x M3's out there. Anyone from here? Great weekend.
The car just seems to LOVE IT!!
Hellride was there in his E92.. He smoked his factory front brakes...

I retired my E92 M3 this year and purchased a E36 M3 track car.. I have D force track wheels for sale. Bringing them to Buttonwillow for a quick sale.
      05-24-2010, 09:46 PM   #16
aus
Major General

I saw your wheels. VERY good price.

I didn't see Hellride's car there. What class was he in?
      05-25-2010, 01:01 AM   #17
Hellride
Private

Quote:
I saw your wheels. VERY good price.

I didn't see Hellride's car there. What class was he in?
I was there! Right next to his wheels, actually. Was in A group. Really worked my brakes this time round - they began literally smoking after session 2 on Sunday. By session 4 my brakes gave up - right after turn 3 so limped back to the paddock.

Was a bit worried, but put the stock pads back on, flushed with better fluid (Motul 660 - have NO idea what the dealer used, but it didn't last) and all is back to normal with a few spots on the rotors yet to clear.

Fun weekend though! The worst thing was, on the way back home, got hit by old tire crap on the highway knocking out the front right kidney grill. Tough end but always a great drive on track.
      05-25-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
aus
Major General

So you smoked track pads? Where the rotors glowing like in the "Biblical brake failure" thread? Time to get some StopTechs!! AA had a set of front red/slotted on super sale about a month ago, and Harold at HP was given 20% off StopTech that he'll extend to people from that day if you mention you heard him give 20% off. The only problem is there's tax since they're in Santa Barbara.
Somone's also been trying to sell a duct kit here too.

And stock fluid is from ATE, but it's boiling points seem a little lower than the Blue/Gold stuff.

Did you see what happened with the E36 M3 that went off and hit pretty hard? Felt bad for the guy. He was lucky Dan was wiling to give him a ride home.
      05-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #19
Hellride
Private

Yeah, they were smoking pretty good - but the rotors weren't glowing and I definitely boiled the fluid. After turn 3 foot went to the floor and I had to pump like mad to keep pressure even limping back to the paddock.

Not sure if the dealer used ATE or not. Stock fluid from the factory held up for a VERY long time. But Autoclub is pretty hard on brakes, and adding the chicane did not help. I knew I was pretty thin on the pads (PFC-01s) and should have swapped them out after Saturday, but never did. Live/learn. Here's a link from the last session (before the brakes gave way). Best time of the weekend.

http://gallery.me.com/fritz.anker#10...&bgcolor=black

I was just a few turns behind the E36. Really good guy. Glad he was OK but yes, could have been much worse. They really tightened this track up!
      05-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #20
aus
Major General

Hellride, did you feel the back end hopping around on Turn 1 and much more around turn 2? DSC would go on once in a while too. Same thing happened to my friend's E46 M3.

It was like I wanted a big ass wing in back to settle it down. Just wondering if it's my suspension that needs some tuning?
      05-25-2010, 09:50 PM   #21
Hellride
Private

Yeah it bounces around a bit. Can be a bit unnerving but keeping my eyes glued down track helps if it breaks loose (which it hadn't).

I don't use the traction control anymore, because when it engages it can throw the weight of the car somewhere I do not want and THAT is really unnerving - happened last year to me, same track but coming on to the oval. Not a good place to have weight thrown forward.

I did play around with the EDC though. Typically I like to have it on passive (sport) mode here because the track is in pretty good shape. But it feels much better going through the oval in active "normal." I still prefer to keep it sport though and ran that way other than testing normal. Best way to get used to N1 and N2 is to take a high line/late apex and slowly creep down to your comfort zone. Without the chicane it can get pretty hairy but with it, there is just not enough track to get us where the car can't hold on.

What tires were you using?
      05-25-2010, 10:47 PM   #22
aus
Major General

My stock Vreds, which I'm pretty happy with compared to the PS2's I had last year there. The PS2's got greasy at Willow and I almost slid off once I started getting on it. I didn't have any of that with the Vreds, while still having comparable grip and sharper turn in because it has stiffer sidewalls. They're still beyond my ability as a B group guy.

Also, for anyone intersted in pics. The photographer, Brian sent me this email regarding a weekend package:

Quote:
We tend to average around 30-40 photos per driver on a given day, so both days are above average. Also, the price has recently been reduced from $135 for the weekend to $120, so it's already on sale. You'll need to add all your photos to the cart as Hi-Res digitals and also add one "Add 2nd day of Hi-Res Digitals" in order to purchase both days. If you put them in your cart and wait a day or two, I believe the system will automatically email you a 10% off coupon, which is the most I would be able to discount. Thanks for your understanding and patronage.