BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #111
zackday30
Captain
 
zackday30's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Carrera S, Black on Black
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tulsa

Posts: 613
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I think Montreal has a chance, but it's totally reliant on Halak. Do I think he can keep this torrid pace through the entire Stanley Cup run? I wouldn't bet on it, but I didn't think Osgood could either. And he did. I've been wrong plenty of times before, especially about the outcomes of hockey playoff series (and who hasn't), but I don't think I'd go as far as to say the Habs don't stand a chance.

It's good to see a Cinderella story develop, and you've got to root for them in this situation, doubly so because I'm sure every hockey fan is tired of hearing about Cindy. I'll admit, he's a damn good player, but I'm surprised Canadians themselves haven't found out who first tried comparing him to Gretzky.... I would think that would be grounds for a lynching....
I'm sorry but Sydney (not Cindy) is good for the sport. He is trying to help make this sport mainstream again. The league could use a few more Crosby type personalities in the locker room! He is a great role model which is hard to say about many athletes these days. And Canada should love him! After all, he did score the game winning goal in the Gold Medal game in Overtime! Is he as good as Gretsky? Debatable. I think Gretzky would have a little more trouble with the caliber of Athletes/Goaltenders in the league now compared to what they were twenty years ago and on.
__________________
My Garage:
'13 F30 328i (Wifey)
'11 Silverado CC (DD)
'06 Carrera S (Fun)
Sold: 08 E92 335, 07 X5
zackday30 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #112
audiprotein
Lieutenant
 
audiprotein's Avatar
 
Drives: Audi a4
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago Burbsss

Posts: 439
iTrader: (0)

Great Win by Hawks last night.
__________________
L.E.T.S. G.O. H.A.W.K.S.
audiprotein is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #113
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiprotein View Post
Great Win by Hawks last night.
Definitely a relief...Kane's having a really good playoff career so far
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #114
flyer333
GSS CORP.
 
flyer333's Avatar
 
Drives: E90/E93
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posts: 1,599
iTrader: (3)

Come On Canucks!!!!
__________________

Don't teach a pig how to read, it's a waste of time and it annoys the pig.
flyer333 is offline   Taiwan
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #115
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackday30 View Post
I'm sorry but Sydney (not Cindy) is good for the sport. He is trying to help make this sport mainstream again. The league could use a few more Crosby type personalities in the locker room! He is a great role model which is hard to say about many athletes these days. And Canada should love him! After all, he did score the game winning goal in the Gold Medal game in Overtime! Is he as good as Gretsky? Debatable. I think Gretzky would have a little more trouble with the caliber of Athletes/Goaltenders in the league now compared to what they were twenty years ago and on.
Oh no; it's Cindy to the rest of the league.

And the comparison with Gretzky is not "debateable". Gretzky was peerless, and Cindy can't even rise head-and-shoulders above Malkin, let alone blow every other NHL player away in the scoring race.

He's a great player, yes, but you speak like someone who wasn't around when Gretzky played. There was no comparison; there was no debate. For the vast majority of his career, there wasn't even anyone worth comparing to him after the season was over. Today, I can count on more than one hand candidates who can be debated as to whether or not they're better than Crosby.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #116
headlee103
Lieutenant Colonel
 
headlee103's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bethlehem, PA

Posts: 1,624
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Oh no; it's Cindy to the rest of the league.

And the comparison with Gretzky is not "debateable". Gretzky was peerless, and Cindy can't even rise head-and-shoulders above Malkin, let alone blow every other NHL player away in the scoring race.

He's a great player, yes, but you speak like someone who wasn't around when Gretzky played. There was no comparison; there was no debate. For the vast majority of his career, there wasn't even anyone worth comparing to him after the season was over. Today, I can count on more than one hand candidates who can be debated as to whether or not they're better than Crosby.
Your sig makes alot of sense now!!!

*My posts are subject to substantial margins of error.
headlee103 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #117
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlee103 View Post
Your sig makes alot of sense now!!!

*My posts are subject to substantial margins of error.
Haha.

Try to find an impartial non-Pittsburgh fan who will agree with you.

Get outside your bubble every once in a while. Crosby is nowhere near where Gretzky was. Obviously you weren't watching hockey in the '80s.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #118
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Just an interjection, but hockey today is not the same as it was in the 80s. It is more conducive to offense these days. I doubt a conversion factor is able to be accurately applied to equalize players stats between eras, but I'd be really surprised if Crosby on pace to post up better number than Gretsky's aggregate numbers, let alone the era discrepancies that exist
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #119
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Just an interjection, but hockey today is not the same as it was in the 80s. It is more conducive to offense these days. I doubt a conversion factor is able to be accurately applied to equalize players stats between eras, but I'd be really surprised if Crosby on pace to post up better number than Gretsky's aggregate numbers, let alone the era discrepancies that exist
Gretzky was obviously peerless. Crosby is obviously not.

I don't understand why anyone could compare Crosby to Gretzky. It's like comparing the Saturn V rocket development team to the guy who first found out you could light your farts on fire.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #120
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
LOL well clearly not that extreme but I just take issue with those comparing sports between era's when rule changes and rule enforcement changes have obviously and quantifiably influenced player statistics...the fact is that Gretsky vs. Crosby at the same points of their careers Gretsky is still on pace to be the better player even before you factor in that hockey rule enforcement has adapted to favor more offense lately.
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2010, 07:06 AM   #121
zackday30
Captain
 
zackday30's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 Carrera S, Black on Black
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tulsa

Posts: 613
iTrader: (1)

Hey all I said was that it was debatable, and from the previous posts it seems to be. I'm not coming out and saying that he is better than Gretsky, I am saying that these were two very different eras of hockey. Both players are/were amazing to watch and very talented.
__________________
My Garage:
'13 F30 328i (Wifey)
'11 Silverado CC (DD)
'06 Carrera S (Fun)
Sold: 08 E92 335, 07 X5
zackday30 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2010, 08:31 AM   #122
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
LOL well clearly not that extreme but I just take issue with those comparing sports between era's when rule changes and rule enforcement changes have obviously and quantifiably influenced player statistics...the fact is that Gretsky vs. Crosby at the same points of their careers Gretsky is still on pace to be the better player even before you factor in that hockey rule enforcement has adapted to favor more offense lately.
You're right in the sense that you can't simply rely on comparison of statistics....

Gretzky was peerless. No one has ever risen above the sport of hockey like he has. It's debateable whether or not Crosby is even the best player on his team.

Also, the NHL is MARKETING Crosby. Gretzky didn't need that. The NHL is pushing Crosby as a product, forcing him to be the new face of hockey. Gretzky never needed that to be recognized as the hockey diety he was.

I don't have a whole lot of problems with Crosby, other than the fact that he can be a little whiny at times. It's not his fault he's the pawn in Butt Man's business venture. I do, however, have a big problem with the NHL and the way it's been run lately. Hopefully there won't be a lockout coming up. It would suck to have to start over from scratch. I'd like to get the league off of that SHIT channel Versus. They need to stop manipulating the game so much.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #123
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
You're right in the sense that you can't simply rely on comparison of statistics....
And even if you could simply compare stats, Gretsky is better, and even if you adjusted somehow to equalize stats between eras, you would only expect this to favor Gretsky. I can't believe this is even a debate...

I mean if he likes Crosby better than Gretsky that's a matter of personal preference, but to insinuate he's the better player...
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 08:07 AM   #124
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Ahhh Hawks back on form last night

Really starting to look the the team that was dominating during the regular season pre Olympic break
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #125
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
InsaneSkippy's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida

Posts: 1,598
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to InsaneSkippy Send a message via MSN to InsaneSkippy
What amazing sportsmanship he displays as well!

__________________

InsaneSkippy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #126
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneSkippy View Post
What amazing sportsmanship he displays as well!
Yeah he's basically a giant vagina, but I blame the league for that more than any one player.... It's simply what they allow the players to get away with these days. Maybe if Buttman would actually make good on his promise to crack down on embellishment, people would stop crying and diving so much. But, when you're rewarded for it 90% of the time with a power play, the players aren't going to stop taking advantage of that (see San Jose's game plan).

Also, Buttman would probably concede to the KHL as the superior league before he'd ever acknowledge his golden son was a dive artist.
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #127
Cyrax91
Eat Sleep Rave Repeat
 
Cyrax91's Avatar
 
Drives: WRX STI & FP Green DBB WW Evo
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NM

Posts: 1,535
iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Yeah he's basically a giant vagina, but I blame the league for that more than any one player.... It's simply what they allow the players to get away with these days. Maybe if Buttman would actually make good on his promise to crack down on embellishment, people would stop crying and diving so much. But, when you're rewarded for it 90% of the time with a power play, the players aren't going to stop taking advantage of that (see San Jose's game plan).

Also, Buttman would probably concede to the KHL as the superior league before he'd ever acknowledge his golden son was a dive artist.
Its unbelievable the calls the Sharks have got in this series. I mean im guessing 40% of them were legit calls but come on. I mean they literally gave San Jose the series. And talk about turning points... did you see the penalty they called on Franzen for tripping? When it was actually him that took a stick to the face and was going down that caused the fall. That gave them a penalty when the Wings should have had a 4 minute power play.

Dont you think they should consider looking at the tape on plays like that to get the correct call? I mean its huge in the playoffs. Im not impressed with the refs at all in this years playoffs.
__________________
WRX STI Hatchback - FP Green DBB WW Evo IX GSR tuned at 524whp
Cyrax91 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #128
ragingclue
One cam is enough
 
ragingclue's Avatar
 
Drives: VF
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: mulletville

Posts: 6,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpavlakos91 View Post
Its unbelievable the calls the Sharks have got in this series. I mean im guessing 40% of them were legit calls but come on. I mean they literally gave San Jose the series. And talk about turning points... did you see the penalty they called on Franzen for tripping? When it was actually him that took a stick to the face and was going down that caused the fall. That gave them a penalty when the Wings should have had a 4 minute power play.

Dont you think they should consider looking at the tape on plays like that to get the correct call? I mean its huge in the playoffs. Im not impressed with the refs at all in this years playoffs.
Well let me preface this with the fact that the Sharks are playing better than the Red Wings and, given the age factor, the Sharks have the better roster.

That being said, the officiating has been terrible in the series. Franzen was high sticked by Sandincoochie and then Sandincoochie falls over.... And Franzen gets the penalty. Later on that power play, Sandincoochie does get clipped with a stick and hits the ice like someone shot him with a .50 cal from 3 feet away.... Sharks go on to score GWG on that 5 on 3....

I don't think you can successfully implement replay to review penalty calls. That would just screw with the game too much. What they need to do is actually crack down on sand-in-vaginaness, put the crying pussies in the box, stop rewarding the Nancys for diving....

Anyway, even without the officiating tilt, the Wings look like they could be down 3-0 based on 5-on-5 play alone. That being said, it would be much easier to stomach if there wasn't the added distraction of some really terrible calls (mostly on the Wings, but there have been some shitty calls against the Sharks too).

The officials need to revamp their training and policy to keep this epidemic under control. Pretty sad when you're a professional hockey player, over 6' / 200lbs, and you're acting like a complete vag every time someone gets close to you (this goes for everyone in the league, not singling one guy out).
ragingclue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2010, 10:28 AM   #129
Cyrax91
Eat Sleep Rave Repeat
 
Cyrax91's Avatar
 
Drives: WRX STI & FP Green DBB WW Evo
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NM

Posts: 1,535
iTrader: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Well let me preface this with the fact that the Sharks are playing better than the Red Wings and, given the age factor, the Sharks have the better roster.

That being said, the officiating has been terrible in the series. Franzen was high sticked by Sandincoochie and then Sandincoochie falls over.... And Franzen gets the penalty. Later on that power play, Sandincoochie does get clipped with a stick and hits the ice like someone shot him with a .50 cal from 3 feet away.... Sharks go on to score GWG on that 5 on 3....

I don't think you can successfully implement replay to review penalty calls. That would just screw with the game too much. What they need to do is actually crack down on sand-in-vaginaness, put the crying pussies in the box, stop rewarding the Nancys for diving....

Haha well put. I think it would mess with the game too much as well if it was too often, but when all the refs are looking at each other like what the F just happened I think it wouldn't hurt to take a 2 second look and get the right call.

And yes im so sick of these diving penalties.

Its just ridiculous its hard to watch I get so frustrated.

I hope the Wings can at least pull off one win in this series.
__________________
WRX STI Hatchback - FP Green DBB WW Evo IX GSR tuned at 524whp
Cyrax91 is offline   Greece
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #130
GuyOh
Lieutenant Colonel
 
GuyOh's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW 335i coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver B.C.

Posts: 1,803
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
well i'm going to game 4 for tonight's game nucks vs hawks
__________________
GuyOh is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #131
SpacE82
Major
 
SpacE82's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,311
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [4.25]
^You are gonna wear your hawks jersey right? right???
SpacE82 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #132
BTM
Banned
 
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: A///MERICA!!!

Posts: 10,314
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Can't wait
BTM is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST