BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

GetBMWParts

04-15-2010, 12:36 AM   #23
shiggy
Major
Canada

Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorun View Post
Official 0-200 km/h figure for the E92 DCT is 14.9. I can only find one site quoting 0-200 for the RS5 and it is 15.5 secs.. It would probably be closer in reality...
prob not....RS5 will be high 15's fer sure...a whole lotta weight!!!!!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #24
mixja
Captain
United_States

Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
prob not....RS5 will be high 15's fer sure...a whole lotta weight!!!!!
Once you hit 100mph weight becomes less of a factor, as aerodynamic drag comparatively becomes a much bigger opposing force to forward acceleration.

This is where absolute power is more important and the RS5 should be able to at the very least stay with the M3 DCT...although the coefficient of drag for the RS5 is 0.33 vs 0.30/0.31 for the M3 sedan/coupe respectively...
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #25
adc
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
Once you hit 100mph weight becomes less of a factor, as aerodynamic drag comparatively becomes a much bigger opposing force to forward acceleration.

This is where absolute power is more important and the RS5 should be able to at the very least stay with the M3 DCT...although the coefficient of drag for the RS5 is 0.33 vs 0.30/0.31 for the M3 sedan/coupe respectively...
You mean, absolute power to the wheels. It remains to be seen what the drivetrain losses are in the RS5, and whether Audi has correctly stated the engine's output.

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #26
shiggy
Major
Canada

this is an interesting comment from EVO:

What’s it like to drive?

A little confusing. This is not a direct M3 rival, it is much more the everyday GT with an amusing turn of speed. The confusion comes in the slight disharmony that exists between powertrain and chassis. Taken in isolation the RS5 excels in both categories: the engine is tuneful, smooth and loves to rev – in fact it needs to rev to feel anything like as fast as the figures suggest.

Thankfully, the 7-speed S-Tronic transmission is typically superb, even if the intermediate ratios are too long. The trouble is, the RS5 seems to like a quieter life. It is exceptionally refined, and with the DRC (Dynamic Ride Control) set to comfort it rides well on Spanish roads, but we need to drive it in the UK just to make sure. So you’re left with a car whose chassis wants you to relax, but whose engine and gearbox must be worked very hard to produce the performance you’d expect. Like I said, confusing.
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #27
Stunnerable
Captain
United_States

Drives: Nissan Rogue, 09 Jet Black M3

It needs a good manual option and a diet to match.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #28
Eau Rouge
Captain
United_States

Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [4.50]
So far, no one that's driven one has been sufficiently impressed by it to declare it an M3 beater.

To OP: Car & Driver says...

2011 Audi RS5 - First Drive Review
Bristling with power and technology, the RS5 is a wicked steed.
BY JENS MEINERS AND MANFRED JERZEMBEK
April 2010

According to Volkswagen Group’s chief designer Walter de’Silva, the Audi A5 is the most beautiful car he has ever designed: “It’s elegant and powerful, yet free of aggression and arrogance.” But no one would accuse the A5’s hot-rod brother, the new RS5, of a lack of aggression or arrogance—this coupe clearly means business. Wheels as large as 20 inches squat in the wheel wells, a trick automatic spoiler rises from the rear deck, and huge air intakes up front suck in vast tracts of atmosphere while fat, R8-style exhaust pipes shoot the air back out again, burned up and spent. Sounds fantastic, right? Prepare your checkbook, as the RS5 will be sold in the U.S., a fact recently confirmed to Car and Driver by Audi CEO Rupert Stadler.

“To us, the RS5 is the legitimate successor of the second-generation RS4 of 2005 and its successful package,” says Cornelius Fröhlich, responsible for marketing the new hell raiser. We hope this doesn’t mean there won’t be another RS4. Otherwise, it’s good news. The last RS4 was a monster in family-sedan clothing, a four-door with extraordinary power, designed for head-to-head battles with Mercedes’ AMG and BMW’s M division. The RS4 triumphed against the E46 M3 and C55 AMG in an uninstrumented—and thus technically unofficial—comparo, and although it finished third out of three cars in its final shootout appearance, it trailed the second-place C63 AMG by only four points and the champion E92 M3 by 11. With the RS5, we’d say a rematch is in order.

High-Revving Horsepower, Computer-Controlled Shifting

The RS5 keeps the RS4’s high-revving, naturally aspirated 4.2-liter V-8, but now it’s stronger by 30 hp, for a total of 450. The compression ratio is 12.3:1. High-revving in this case means up to an 8300-rpm redline, so long as the oil is up to temperature; the engine is protected by a 6000-rpm limiter otherwise. It’s no secret that with this engine Audi wanted to show BMW that Munich isn’t the only German town capable of building high-revving V-8s.

You can say bye-bye to the crisp six-speed manual transmission of the RS4, as the RS5’s power is shunted only through a seven-speed dual-clutch automated manual. When we asked whether there would be a standard gearbox offered in the future, Fröhlich told us, sadly, that “the majority of customers in this segment are used to automatic transmissions." In its favor, the dual-clutch unit—Audi calls it S tronic—allows the driver to include transmission setup as part of the configurability offered by the optional Audi Drive Select (ADS) adjustable chassis system. It also helps that the S tronic box is good. In the RS5, shifts occur without any hesitation, and the quickness produces some sweet burbles and overrun from those twin exhaust cannons out back.

The all-wheel-drive system is upgraded with Audi’s first use of a self-locking crown-gear center differential, and it helps cut nearly seven pounds out of the drivetrain. The new center diff will make its way into other Quattro models as well, and it can direct up to 85 percent of the power to the rear wheels or up to 70 percent to the fronts as grip dictates. Under normal driving, the power distribution is split 40 percent to the front and 60 percent to the rear.

For the first time in an all-wheel-drive car, Audi has added a software-based, wheel-selective pseudo-torque-vectoring system. Based on inputs from the vehicle’s ESP system, it slightly applies the brakes to the inner front wheel during cornering to effectively curb understeer, a behavior long associated with Audis that was mitigated a bit by the more rearward position of the engine in the company’s latest longitudinal modular platform. Torque vectoring at the rear is handled mechanically by Audi’s optional sport differential, a heavy piece of hardware that nevertheless makes the car feel more light on its feet, shifting power from left to right in search of more grip and balance.

Audi Drive Select sharpens responses even more, and it controls settings for the suspension, sport differential, steering, transmission, throttle response, and exhaust sound. At its hardest-core setting, dynamic, it can virtually eliminate body roll, while normal and comfort modes progressively soften things up. (There’s also a mode that allows drivers to program the various chassis elements individually.) Carbon-ceramic front brakes are available, and they bite right now.

To further tighten body motions, Audi will fit its Dynamic Ride Control system, whereby each set of diagonally opposed shocks is connected via hydraulic lines that incorporate a central valve. During cornering, the valve allows fluid to flow to the outboard front shock almost immediately, reducing lateral roll. The system works in concert with Audi Drive Select’s variable suspension settings.

Electronic Magic Makes for a Fine Drive

We were able to sample all of this on the 26-turn Ascari racetrack near Marbella, Spain, and can attest that the RS5’s electronic firepower and mechanical mumbo jumbo translate into an extremely responsive car that feels much lighter than its estimated 3900 pounds. The torquey V-8 has a wide range of usable power, and no one is going to miss a turbo. As the revs rise, a subdued rumble hardens into an aggressive snarl—especially if you push the right button on the ADS. Flip from comfort to dynamic, and the difference in sound is clearly audible even at idle.

Audi says the RS5 will cover 0 to 62 mph in about 4.6 seconds, which is quick but nothing earth shattering; we’ve tested the automatic-only C63 AMG at 3.9 seconds to 60 mph and a dual-clutch-equipped M3 at 4.1. Our guess is that the RS5 will cover the 0-to-60 sprint in 4.4 seconds. But the complicated nature of the RS5 means you won’t be able to tease more speed and power from it without investing big bucks, so you’re best served to avoid straight-line drag races against those German sleds and your neighbor’s modified Supra or GT-R.

The Audi will put up a tougher fight on the track or on back roads. The car feels as agile as it does planted to the road, and the load changes aren’t very pronounced. You’re able to induce easily controllable oversteer, but if you don’t push it, the RS5 will stay neutral seemingly forever. The handling is definitely what one would call forgiving, and at the limit, you appreciate the improvement from the more nose-heavy Audis of yore. We won’t say whether the RS5 will trump the benchmark BMW M3 just yet, but we think it’s going to be one hell of a fight.

In Germany, you can order your RS5 beginning in May, with deliveries starting in June. On its home turf, the RS5’s price list starts at €77,700 (about $106,000), some €5000 more than a BMW M3 coupe with a dual-clutch transmission. U.S. pricing should be somewhat more accommodating—we expect a base sticker somewhere around $70,000—and an Audi rep tells us we can expect all the chassis technology to make it across the Atlantic, although it’s not yet decided what will be standard or optional. Based on our initial impressions, whatever Audi charges may well be justified.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 09:24 PM   #29
auggiem3
Captain
United_States

Drives: e92 M3 / former e46 M3 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndog View Post
?...both were produced for '08
I was under the impression that the rs4 sedans ceased production in Nov '07 (technically model year '08s but not really overlapping with true '08 M3 sedan production) and, although the RS4 vert may have shared a concurrent production month or two with the e90 m3, that really wasn't the comparison I was drawing given the substantial difference between a 4dr sedan and a 2dr vert.

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...nd-in-november
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 04:45 AM   #30
mixja
Captain
United_States

Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
You mean, absolute power to the wheels. It remains to be seen what the drivetrain losses are in the RS5, and whether Audi has correctly stated the engine's output.
Agreed - if the RS4 is the yardstick, then I'm picking the RS5 will put down about the same power to the wheels as the M3...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #31
shiggy
Major
Canada

here is another test drive of the new RS5...listen what he says at 5:27:

Audi built this to dethrone the M3...oops...fell a little short!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #32
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece

Drives: E92 M3 LSB/Black 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Send a message via Skype™ to GewoW
Quote:
here is another test drive of the new RS5...listen what he says at 5:27:

Audi built this to dethrone the M3...oops...fell a little short!
BAahahah. This honestly makes me realize that the M3 will make you a better driver than the RS5 (if you track them). The RS5 will give you such a false sense of security when you can just mash the pedal at the exit of a corner and not lose traction - it's like "hey, i'm a good driver! I didn't spin out". No - news flash - "you aren't"...

If you want to get excited and learn vehicle dynamics, IMO a RWD car like the M is better suited for this. The RS5 seems like it may be a better DD car, but not as much fun on the twisties or track.

This is my honest opinion from everything I have read and watched. And if the steering is anything like the S5...oh dear.

Yes I ordered an M, but I am trying to be impartial here.
      04-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #33
shiggy
Major
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GewoW View Post
BAahahah. This honestly makes me realize that the M3 will make you a better driver than the RS5 (if you track them). The RS5 will give you such a false sense of security when you can just mash the pedal at the exit of a corner and not lose traction - it's like "hey, i'm a good driver! I didn't spin out". No - news flash - "you aren't"...

If you want to get excited and learn vehicle dynamics, IMO a RWD car like the M is better suited for this. The RS5 seems like it may be a better DD car, but not as much fun on the twisties or track.

This is my honest opinion from everything I have read and watched. And if the steering is anything like the S5...oh dear.

Yes I ordered an M, but I am trying to be impartial here.
sweet...and congrats!
what color combo did you order?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #34
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Quote:
sweet...and congrats!
what color combo did you order?
Thanks! Have mods waiting here lol...trying not to go insane and buy everything I want.

LMB E92 w/ black novillo and CF trim, EDC, Mdrive and exec
      04-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #35
shiggy
Major
Canada

Quote:
Thanks! Have mods waiting here lol...trying not to go insane and buy everything I want.

LMB E92 w/ black novillo and CF trim, EDC, Mdrive and exec
NICE!...I came from a 335I into an M3...you are going to love the transition to your new car!
excited for ya man...ENJOY!!
ps: check out my mod list on the bottom...mods are addicting!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 07:29 PM   #36
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Quote:
NICE!...I came from a 335I into an M3...you are going to love the transition to your new car!
excited for ya man...ENJOY!!
ps: check out my mod list on the bottom...mods are addicting!!!
Thanks brother - I can't wait. It was the next step up and it makes sense. Yeah I know mods are addictive, but the only reason for this is this fkin forum!!!! LOL I'm trying to keep the bug controlled!
      04-25-2010, 01:27 AM   #37
Dave07997S
Colonel

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe

How come no one is mentioning the 4.1 0-60 and a 12.5 114.8mph that Road and Track got in a 6spd M3 non DCT.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/content/..._datapanel.pdf

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 01:32 AM   #38
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
How come no one is mentioning the 4.1 0-60 and a 12.5 114.8mph that Road and Track got in a 6spd M3 non DCT.

Dave
Can you tell me where you got this "data panel". Been looking all over for it for various models. Did you just have this one saved or smthg, or do you have a source?

Thanks
      04-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #39
Dave07997S
Colonel

Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe

Quote:
Can you tell me where you got this "data panel". Been looking all over for it for various models. Did you just have this one saved or smthg, or do you have a source?

Thanks
http://www.roadandtrack.com

Do a search for "BMW M3"...also the link is from road and tracks website.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #40
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Wink

Quote:
http://www.roadandtrack.com

Do a search for "BMW M3"...also the link is from road and tracks website.

Dave
thanks!
      04-25-2010, 01:10 PM   #41
Eau Rouge
Captain
United_States

Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [4.50]
Quote:

Thanks
FWIW, these two panels may interest you.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf bmwm3_08_comparo_ts.pdf (253.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: pdf 0608_comp_chart.pdf (2.31 MB, 61 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #42
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
When you can see the best numbers as well as the spread you get a better idea of the car. Have a look at the extensive database we compiled here on the forum here. Feel free to add to it with RS5 numbers, please just observe and follow all of the existing formatting.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #43
GewoW
#thatsanicemovebro
Greece

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [4.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eau Rouge View Post
FWIW, these two panels may interest you.
They do. Thank you very much!
      04-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #44
991GT3
Captain

Drives: Cayenne Turbo

Quote:

Dave

That isn't a 0-60 number. It's a drag strip time to 60 (ie with a 1' rollout).
4.3-4.5 is more realistic.
Appreciate 0