BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GetBMWParts

04-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
SalM
Just Rip It.

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS

E90 Vs E92 M3

Heyy Guys I am Truly Beyond stuck on wether to buy an
E90 M3 or an E92 M3

The thing is I have a 2000 328i Sedan Jet Black on Black With Goodies into
Now im debating to get another sedan or make the switch and go to a coupe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And now my second Debate is the Colors
I want Alpine White/Fox Red
But Many others are telling me Jet Black/Fox Red
The Car is going MAXED out from the dealer except Double Clutch Transmission because i Like the 6MT

So help me decide! Thanks
      04-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
SalM
Just Rip It.

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS

No Opinions?
      04-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
ooowowizstev
Brigadier General

Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
It really comes down to what you need. I was in the market for a sedan but when I saw the E92 I knew I had to sacrifice 2 doors. I don't have children. Colorwise, I may be biased but I prefer AW. I think it brings out more detail but don't get me wrong JB is a beautful color, just a pain to keep clean.
      04-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
saeedg48
Brigadier General

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

I could say from owning a sedan and from test driving the coupe and convertible that, they're all great great cars and they don't feel that much different.

When test driving the sedan and coupe back to back I felt like the sedan had more of a planted feel. Almost like it was tighter. Both cars had all the same suspension options. I love my E90 (sedan) but it doesn't look as sexy from the back as the coupe. If I were to do it all over again I would get a coupe in space gray with red interior.

So what about the E93, well when test driving this car after owning my M3 for 18 months I felt like it wasn't as impressive through the turns but I really felt like a badass with the top down.

So yes they're both similar but so far apart. It all comes down to what you want to use your car for. I got the sedan and I never ever use those back seats, so the coupe would have been a better FIT for me.

I made a thread a while back asking why people those the sedan over the coupe and convertible so maybe read that and you'll get a better idea;
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353119

Color: alpine white and fox red... hmm that never gets old Try something different. Space gray, or Silverstone. If you can come across a Graphite take a look at it. In the M3z they're pretty rare.

Transmission: I can't make up your mind for you but if it's going to be your daily driver I highly suggest the DCT. I can tell you from experience the 6MT is an odd choice for such an advanced car. You'll kill people off the line, and will be shifting much faster in a DCT. Unless your main desire is for the track then there's no reason for the 6MT IMO.

Hope that helps..

2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3

Last edited by saeedg48; 04-06-2010 at 08:50 PM.
saeedg48 is offline   Iran
      04-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
warzilla
Lieutenant

Drives: M3

coupe all the way. Especially if you have a sedan already.
warzilla is offline   United_States
      04-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Geoff Ang

Drives: E90 M3

i personally feel that the sedan is kinda a sleeper car that most people would not be able to tell it's a monster till u fly past them... its kinda cool in that way...
      04-06-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Poppin Fresh
Colonel

Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

If you don't need the two extra doors, I say go for the coupe. You could use it as an excuse not to bring a third /fourth person (girlfriend's fat or ugly friend) with you. As long as they don't realize that the rear quarters are actually useable and comfy.

Although, the sedan has such a mean and aggressive stance, kinda like a lion on the prowl!
      04-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #8
Alex1911
Second Lieutenant

Drives: M3 Sedan 2011

I had to make the same decision when I ordered mine, I test drove a coupe FWIW. I tend to throw stuff in the back seat, I wanted a sunroof, and I think the sedan looks better (a matter of personal opinion only, there are some damn nice E92's pictured on this forum)... To be honest, I think the sedan look meaner and I can't explain why, though the coupe looks "sportier".

I didn't get the DCT (the model I test drove had it) because I've wanted to get back to a manual for the past 10yrs and I honestly couldn't justify the added cost (I know, funny when your talking about a car that costs the amount we are). It is a choice that I sometimes think I may regret at times (haven't taken delivery yet).

For me it came to personal preference, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. I say if you're a bigger person, the coupe doors being larger may be nicer.
      04-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
FredVMI
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Easy decision. Single? Get the coupe. Family? Get the sedan. If you have room in your budget for two or more cars, then get the coupe either way!

Mods: /// Modular Concept 01’s /// Meisterschaft Exhaust / Aero Shield / Carbon Tips /// Smoked Tails /// Matte Black Grills ///
FredVMI is offline   United_States
      04-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
cap_freez
Lead, follow, or get the hell out of my way

Drives: 2010 X3, 2013 RS5

That is a very tough decision... even if you have another car, sometimes you want to take people for a ride in your car... a sedan is way more practical and looks meaner. I would prob go with the sedan. I also like the idea of a 4 door keeping up with porsches and such :-)
      04-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
DutchManticore
Private

Drives: None yet

Definently the E92. I'm sorry but I think the back of the E90 is... well dare I say it... ugly.

SORRY TO ALL OWNERS HERE... ITS A BEAUTIFUL CAR AND I'D KILL FOR IT but if it were my bucks I'd spend it on a E92.
      04-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
smmmurf
Colonel

Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchManticore View Post
Definently the E92. I'm sorry but I think the back of the E90 is... well dare I say it... ugly.

SORRY TO ALL OWNERS HERE... ITS A BEAUTIFUL CAR AND I'D KILL FOR IT but if it were my bucks I'd spend it on a E92.

I have to totally disagree. I think the M3 Sedan rear is even more aggressive than the Coupe, and the LCI rear tail lights look brilliant!

M3 Sedan LCI - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
      04-07-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
adc
Brigadier General

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED

Color: obviously white is far easier to maintain than black. But buy precisely what you like most, regardless of maintenance concerns.

Sedan vs. Coupe: I personally find the sedan a little meaner-looking - the extra door seem to generate more tension when viewed from the side (just my opinion). But that played precisely no part at all in the decision - what did matter was the significant price difference and the length of the front door. I used to have an E92 335i and have banged those long doors innumerable times in the tight parking spaces I have to deal with on a daily basis.

I did enjoy the better side visibility of the Coupe, the reduced wind turbulence with the windows open and the spectacular interior ambience lighting - so it's not a simple/easy win for the sedan. But when I had to plonk down my own money I decided to go for the 4 door.

As far as differences in the way they drive/handle, there are none.

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i
2000 Boxster
      04-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #14
IE#02
Private First Class

Drives: e92 M3 / e46 M3 / R35 GTR

M3 was always meant to be a coupe, get the e92 in JB or AW they both look awesome
IE#02 is offline   Australia
      04-07-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
BobsM3Coupe
Captain

Drives: M3 Coupe

One of the things I like about the coupe compared to the sedan is I'm able to ride with the drivers side window fully open without getting blasted in the head by all the turbulent air that the sedan lets in. It seems like almost all 4 door vehicles are the same way.

I used to have a 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra and I could ride with the window down and hear the exhaust. Since then, I have had a couple of suv's, and a Dodge Magnum Hemi wagon and all of them blasted me in the head with way to much air. So i like the coupe. But I also no longer have a use for a 4 door vehicle.
BobsM3Coupe is offline   United_States
      04-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #16
Cab5er
Colonel

Drives: 09 E90 M3 & 07 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalM View Post
I want Alpine White/Fox Red
please don't

I find it odd that u don't know what u want. I know I didn't want to have to move my seat and get out everytime I have someone riding in the back. More convenient for sure. I also love the lci rear and stance of the sedan. Only one thing I wish the sedans had which is the c/f roof.

I think u need to go to the dealership and see which one speaks to you

E90 ///M3/ AW/ Fox Red
Cab5er is offline   China
      04-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #17
cawest19
Livin' the M life

Drives: 2008 E90 M3

I hope you don't make your decision based on what people say on this forum. Like many have said, it's your car and your money so get what you want.

But since you ask, I say go for the sedan .
cawest19 is offline   United_States
      04-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #18
MaxL
Captain

Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

My insurance quote on Coupe was much higher than for Sedan. So insurance companies think you have to be mental to go with Coupe instead of Sedan, and they know their stuff
MaxL is offline   Canada
      04-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #19
Richbot
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Jerez Black E90

Yeah, insurance was surprisingly reasonable on my sedan. Not much more than my wife's '07 335xi sedan.

For me, I think the sedan looks better, performs at least as well, is cheaper to buy, can carry 5 people instead of 4, and I carry 4 people enough that it would irritate me not having easy access. Then there's the easily-accessed rear footwells, which hold stuff in place around corners a lot better than the trunk. Sleeper-ness appeals to me too.

The coupes are neat looking but I think they're a little too overwrought in the rear, and the swoopy sides look weird on the long doors. I think the coupes start to look a ton better than sedans once you start getting into modding the cars, because then the coupe starts to really look long, low, and lean. At stock ride height they look a little awkward to me, where the sedan with its more upright greenhouse and tidier tail looks like it's supposed to be at stock height.
      04-07-2010, 02:55 PM   #20
MCarRacr07
Private First Class

Drives: F80 M3 in production...

I have an 08 E92 Space Grey Black Novillo....will be going to my local dealer to trade it in for an E90 either Space Grey again or an individual color....
I have found that after two years (and the fact that I came out of an E39M5) I rather the 4 doors for me.....
so in answer to your question.....get the coupe` if 4 doors are not really a necessity....if you like the 2000 325 you have now w/the four doors...get another 4 door...only this time you will have an "M"
      04-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #21
MonteCarloM3
Banned

Drives: a shitty M3

got kids? no? then coupe. easy decision
MonteCarloM3 is offline   Uzbekistan
      04-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #22
GS997S
Private

Drives: 2007 997S

If you don't need four doors, get the coupe. It is a much better looking car.