BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States
3
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Dinan Carbon Strut Tower Braces

So I decided to get them. They looked cool and thought that I might as well. It defiantly does clean up the engine bay. I probably didnt need to get them but they look nice.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, they were taken with an iPhone
Name:  IMG_0047.JPG
Views: 3209
Size:  732.8 KB
Name:  IMG_0048.JPG
Views: 2219
Size:  715.1 KB
Name:  IMG_0049.JPG
Views: 2149
Size:  710.4 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
dgbos
Private First Class
2
Rep
116
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 M3 IB
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Nice - they look great. Feel any different?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States
3
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbos View Post
Nice - they look great. Feel any different?
I havent driven it more than 5 miles since I put them on. But I will let you know when I get her out this weekend if the weather doesn't suck.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that no "butt-o-meter" and probably no performance based testing method will be able to discern the difference between the OEM steel part and the CF part. Recall - the stiffness and strength of any component depends on the material and design (i.e. shape, i.e. ID and OD and thickness). These may or may not be significantly stiffer than stock. Now that being said, if this is a "weak link" in the stiffness path of the front end, and if the parts are significantly stiffer than the OEM parts you might be able to measure their effect on a static deflection or torsion test of the front end. I still doubt you would could measure a performance benefit on the track.

How about we challenge Dinan to tell us both the OEM part stiffness, their part stiffness and the effect on the chassis. I'd be willing to bet it won't happen. Why? Because they almost for sure did not even bother formal testing. That makes is mostly a cosmetic mod and I'm sure an overpriced one at that.

/engineering rant
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States
3
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that no "butt-o-meter" and probably no performance based testing method will be able to discern the difference between the OEM steel part and the CF part. Recall - the stiffness and strength of any component depends on the material and design (i.e. shape, i.e. ID and OD and thickness). These may or may not be significantly stiffer than stock. Now that being said, if this is a "weak link" in the stiffness path of the front end, and if the parts are significantly stiffer than the OEM parts you might be able to measure their effect on a static deflection or torsion test of the front end. I still doubt you would could measure a performance benefit on the track.

How about we challenge Dinan to tell us both the OEM part stiffness, their part stiffness and the effect on the chassis. I'd be willing to bet it won't happen. Why? Because they almost for sure did not even bother formal testing. That makes is mostly a cosmetic mod and I'm sure an overpriced one at that.

/engineering rant
Im sure that it is not much better than the OEM parts. They sure do look good though. Painted reflectors and matte black grills don't do much now do they.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
leemik
Major
United_States
48
Rep
1,345
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quincy, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [4.75]
I like it.. I consider it a "dress up" item like the CF air box covers.. I was going to get me a set too but they wanted to charge me $52 for UPS ground shipping so I just couldn't hit that buy button lolz
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick151 View Post
Painted reflectors and matte black grills don't do much now do they.
Come on get real. What a weak attempt at a come back, based on something that I wrote that was entirely factual, objective and did not insult anyone. Did I say anything like cosmetic modding is bad? No I didn't. What I dislike are mods purported or portrayed to be functional but in the end are just cosmetic.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #8
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States
3
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemik View Post
I like it.. I consider it a "dress up" item like the CF air box covers.. I was going to get me a set too but they wanted to charge me $52 for UPS ground shipping so I just couldn't hit that buy button lolz
It is kind of a "dress up" item but it is functional so maybe a "dressy functional item" may be more appropriate. Airbox covers and all that nonsense do nothing. $52 is ridiculous. These weigh next to nothing.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 11:53 PM   #9
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States
3
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Come on get real. What a weak attempt at a come back, based on something that I wrote that was entirely factual, objective and did not insult anyone. Did I say anything like cosmetic modding is bad? No I didn't. What I dislike are mods purported or portrayed to be functional but in the end are just cosmetic.
I wasent poking fun at your matte black grills and what not I was just stating facts as you were. There isn't any thing about these that are not functional. Like you said in your post before there should be some testing. Im sure that there is or that there could be.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 11:55 PM   #10
aus
Major General
117
Rep
7,406
Posts

 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

They'll be some knock off's in 2 months. They look cool.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #11
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States
3
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
They'll be some knock off's in 2 months. They look cool.
Just like everything else out there there probably will be.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
isugoo
Major General
isugoo's Avatar
United_States
69
Rep
5,724
Posts

 
Drives: 14 M5 CP
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Irvine, CA

iTrader: (62)

Looks great. I was thinking about getting one as well as a complement cosmetic mod.
__________________

PAST: 11 E70 X5M | 08 E90 M3 | 08 E92 335i | 03.5 E46 M3 | 99 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #13
biglare
******
United_States
99
Rep
3,140
Posts

 
Drives: ?
Join Date: May 2008
Location: ?

iTrader: (3)

Oh Snap! Wait until Shady1 sees these!

This is the only CF that he does not have under his hood!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 05:25 AM   #14
smmmurf
Colonel
32
Rep
2,113
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Come on get real. What a weak attempt at a come back, based on something that I wrote that was entirely factual, objective and did not insult anyone. Did I say anything like cosmetic modding is bad? No I didn't. What I dislike are mods purported or portrayed to be functional but in the end are just cosmetic.
+1... these types of "all for show" mods are definitely not going on my car.
__________________
M3 Sedan - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 07:56 AM   #15
A1 RDL
www.ryandalziel.com
United_States
5
Rep
208
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 JB E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

I have these and the Front DINAN roll bar coming. Obviously its mainly a cosmetic mod, perhaps some weight reduction. But lets face it, we spend $500+ on both front splitters and rear diffusers, neither of which do anything for performance (aero). Splitters and diffusers are meant to generate downforce on a car, but most of what we add will only cause drag. Each to there own, its a cheap mod considering you get some extra carbon under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #16
leemik
Major
United_States
48
Rep
1,345
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Quincy, MA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [4.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
They'll be some knock off's in 2 months. They look cool.
I bet they already source this item from Asia.. The Dinan stickers look like an after thought..
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #17
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States
3
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemik View Post
I bet they already source this item from Asia.. The Dinan stickers look like an after thought..
They are not stickers.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #18
swamp2
Lieutenant General
swamp2's Avatar
United_States
214
Rep
10,201
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick151 View Post
I wasent poking fun at your matte black grills and what not I was just stating facts as you were. There isn't any thing about these that are not functional. Like you said in your post before there should be some testing. Im sure that there is or that there could be.
I owe you an apology then. Sorry I misunderstood your comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
+1... these types of "all for show" mods are definitely not going on my car.
I guess I am a bit more "lenient" in my opinion of these than crap like interior CF door panels. This is a structural component and should be strong and stiff. That makes CF a good choice on the surface if cost is not a factor. Heck if someone gave them to me I'd probably run them. The do look really nice as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States
3
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I owe you an apology then. Sorry I misunderstood your comment.



I guess I am a bit more "lenient" in my opinion of these than crap like interior CF door panels. This is a structural component and should be strong and stiff. That makes CF a good choice on the surface if cost is not a factor. Heck if someone gave them to me I'd probably run them. The do look really nice as well.
No harm, no foul. I would like for some one or even Dinan for that matter to produce some information about this, instead of saying that they are stronger than the OEM ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
KASM3
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
253
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Hey Mavrick, I see you have the Dinan intake. Do you think the carbon fiber intake part provides any more power(of course butt-o-meter) over stock? I have MS Filter and I was wondering if its worth changing the tubing. Another company makes something similar, just cheaper.
2. Good job. I like the look of your braces. Nice conversation piece. Sets your car apart.
3. What other Dinan Goodies do you have?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #21
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States
3
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASM3 View Post
Hey Mavrick, I see you have the Dinan intake. Do you think the carbon fiber intake part provides any more power(of course butt-o-meter) over stock? I have MS Filter and I was wondering if its worth changing the tubing. Another company makes something similar, just cheaper.
2. Good job. I like the look of your braces. Nice conversation piece. Sets your car apart.
3. What other Dinan Goodies do you have?
I think that it does a little. Its very hard to notice 7-10 hp in this car. If anything it sounds better. When I added the crank pulley is when I noticed something. Then the software on top of that makes all the difference. To what I have done from dinan is pulley, intake, strut braces and software. Stage 3 suspension and diff got ordered today so those should be on sometime soon when they get the parts in and when i can find time to get them installed. So everything is coming along very nicely.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #22
mastek
e36s54, F10M5, e70X5d
mastek's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,595
Posts

 
Drives: slow
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (15)

The only "Front Strut Tower Tie-Bar" that would actually improve the "performance" over the OE design......
is one that would span directly across the engine bay from driver's-side strut tower to passenger's-side strut tower.

This would add front-end torsional rigidity and slightly improve the car's handling.

Of course, this would require a total redesign of the engine cover ...or a crazy retrofit that would require going through the engine cover somehow.

Other then that, this mod is purely aesthetic.

Last edited by mastek; 04-02-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST