BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

VIBE Motorsports

02-23-2015, 11:39 AM   #1
Jzambrano7
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Exhaust Options (Pics /Vids)

Hi All-

Now that I jumped on the E9X M Platform I'm starting to look to mod my car.

One of the first things I'm looking to mod is the exhaust system and after doing some small research I learned that there are numerous options when choosing an exhaust.

Notable Exhausts:

OEM Exhaust Mod
RPI Exhaust
Eisenmann

My question to you is what do you suggest? Please back up your suggestions with pics and videos of these set ups.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #2
M__3__R__A__G__E
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzambrano7
Hi All-

Now that I jumped on the E9X M Platform I'm starting to look to mod my car.

One of the first things I'm looking to mod is the exhaust system and after doing some small research I learned that there are numerous options when choosing an exhaust.

Notable Exhausts:

OEM Exhaust Mod
RPI Exhaust
Eisenmann

My question to you is what do you suggest? Please back up your suggestions with pics and videos of these set ups.
You're not really listing what your preferences are. There are a plethora of exhaust systems for the E9X platform which come with a variety of options. For example if you were looking to shed weight and have an exhaust that is comfortable and sporty but not overbearing and deafening you could go with Akrapovic. If you're looking for an exhaust that can be heard from a mile away and really project a spirited note, you could go with IPE Innotech Valvetronic exhaust. Everyone can suggest whatever they want, but there are plenty of threads with various reviews and opinions on different exhausts. Just research and pick what looks, feels and sounds best to you

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #3
Jzambrano7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E View Post
You're not really listing what your preferences are. There are a plethora of exhaust systems for the E9X platform which come with a variety of options. For example if you were looking to shed weight and have an exhaust that is comfortable and sporty but not overbearing and deafening you could go with Akrapovic. If you're looking for an exhaust that can be heard from a mile away and really project a spirited note, you could go with IPE Innotech Valvetronic exhaust. Everyone can suggest whatever they want, but there are plenty of threads with various reviews and opinions on different exhausts. Just research and pick what looks, feels and sounds best to you
Great point.

I'm looking for something definitely with a deeper tone and louder (not obnoxiously loud). More or less in the 1-1.5k Range.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great thread!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #5
Jzambrano7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Schaeffer BMW View Post
Great thread!!
Thanks

We can make this a general thread and post up our personal favorite setups with supporting pictures and videos.

I may not be the only one who will find this useful.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
M__3__R__A__G__E
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzambrano7
Quote:
Originally Posted by M__3__R__A__G__E View Post
Great point.

I'm looking for something definitely with a deeper tone and louder (not obnoxiously loud). More or less in the 1-1.5k Range.
1-1.5k range is really limiting your options. These high performance titanium exhausts are quite expensive and can cost anywhere from 3.5k upwards. I'd suggest either doing the OEM mod which gives a lovely tone and also won't infiltrate the cabin, and save you thousands of dollars for other mods. Or look on the market place in these forums, titanium exhausts last a lifetime and you should have no concerns getting a second hand one. If you want a deep tone with no drone id definitely suggest Akrapovic. It also comes with carbon fiber tips which give your car a very sporty look.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
brianpdx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzambrano7 View Post
Please back up your suggestions with pics and videos of these set ups.
This seems like a question on a test in high school. So, I'm gonna go against the grain (in a couple ways).

I have, and prefer, the MPE. That is all.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
Sered
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT

Quote:
Great point.

Don't listen to those telling you to buy an Akra. It's a huge waste of money. No performance benefit other than the lighter weight (big whoop). I'd suggest hitting up YouTube and finding some clips of different exhausts and finding what you like.
      02-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
CIFUM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3

I have the revinora race and couldn't be happier. But it is loud especially since I'm straight piped all the way.

M colors grill - CF trunk - Sapphire Blue Forgestars F14
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:44 PM   #10
wifesbimmer
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 528XI, E92 M3

great video. You can really get a good feel of your exhaust. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
got da booze
Boozilla
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 ZCP ///M3

Garage List
2011.75 BMW M3  [3.63]
Quote:
Great point.

Find a used Dinan exhaust on the boards and call it a day.

*M3 E90 OEM chrome grills, OEM strut bars and OEM pulley w/ belts for sale! If interested, please send me a PM.*
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:14 PM   #12
M__3__R__A__G__E
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
Don't listen to those telling you to buy an Akra. It's a huge waste of money. No performance benefit other than the lighter weight (big whoop). I'd suggest hitting up YouTube and finding some clips of different exhausts and finding what you like.
You're joking...right? It has pretty solid increases in HP and torque...I have an IPE exhaust and I still have huge respect for Akrapovic exhausts because of their performance driven design and function.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #13
Law
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 6MT | E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post

Take it from the guy with VMR wheels!

Why buy Volks or any forged wheel anyway? Waste of money for a lump of raw material.
No performance benefit other than the lighter weight (big whoop)
| HKS | KW | RECARO | RAYS |
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
Ashley Schaeffer BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

LMAO!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #15
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP

Hahahaha this thread. Thanks for the laughs.

OP, lead off with MPE, Akrapovic slip on, Dinan. If you do a search you'll be able to just read a ton of stuff about your options without bored people like us coming in here and starting pointless arguments.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 05:19 AM   #16
tkordy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 E46 M3 & 2009 E92 M3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlzJ...A&spfreload=10
Appreciate 0