BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #1
hogwild
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2011 m3 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: So.Cal.


Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Bit the bullet!

Finally installed Focal 100KRS(all four doors) Arc Audio 300.4 & .2,Audison Bitone.1, Earthquake 8" shallow subs , 13" Focal sub, and a mobridge DA1000 preamp. Still need to fine tune the system. My installer has different tastes in music than I do and I wasnt able to be there for the tune! If you are into old rock, the 8" subs just wont do you will be unhappy!~ You need power and a good sub woofer to pull the bass out of the older recordings. More later after my tune on this system!!!
!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
42

 
ersin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland


Posts: 4,068
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
... If you are into old rock, the 8" subs just wont do you will be unhappy!~ You need power and a good sub woofer to pull the bass out of the older recordings. More later after my tune on this system!!!
!
Are you talking about the original subs, or the Earthquake subs? Thanks.


Cheers.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
hogwild
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2011 m3 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: So.Cal.


Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Earthquake subs 8" A subwoofer should be 10" or better.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
scottyv
Modding Master
United_States
4

 
Drives: 2010 X6 5.0
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Michigan


Posts: 80
iTrader: (0)

Hogwild, are you running the latest idrive in your vehicle, I am trying to get a DA1000 to work with my 2010 X6. The new idrive has the buttons all around the controller and the bigger screen, etc.

I am trying to settle as to whether this DA1000 piece will work with the latest idrive. Mobridge initially said yes then reversed this and said they were still developing it for the latest idrive software/hardware (4th gen). I gotta go with the DA1000 or the AGW plus to do MOST digital from my factory HU, preferably with a Bit one like you.
__________________
2010 Alpine White X6 5.0 with Oyster Leather / Dark Wood Trim -- Sport Package with 20" Style 259 Wheels, Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, 7RR Performance Pkg, Active Steering, Running Boards, Rear View Cam & Top view, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Climate Pkg, Comfort Access, Space Saver Spare, Sat Radio, Smartphone Integration
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
42

 
ersin's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 IB E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland


Posts: 4,068
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
Earthquake subs 8" A subwoofer should be 10" or better.
But there's two of 'em. Two times eight is sixteen so it's equivalent to a 16" sub, right? j/k

Good luck. I bet it sounds great after it's tuned.


Cheers.
__________________

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #6
hogwild
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2011 m3 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: So.Cal.


Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 12:43 AM   #7
808MGuy
Colonel
49

 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii


Posts: 2,287
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
Finally installed Focal 100KRS(all four doors) Arc Audio 300.4 & .2,Audison Bitone.1, Earthquake 8" shallow subs , 13" Focal sub, and a mobridge DA1000 preamp. Still need to fine tune the system. My installer has different tastes in music than I do and I wasnt able to be there for the tune! If you are into old rock, the 8" subs just wont do you will be unhappy!~ You need power and a good sub woofer to pull the bass out of the older recordings. More later after my tune on this system!!!
!
Interesting choice of equipment. Focal wouldn't be my first choice as I don't particularly like the Focal sound but some people like it. I do think that your choice of going with the SWS-8 should be reconsidered though. Don't get me wrong they are great small subwoofers and that's how they should be used. Since you are using a 13" subwoofer, I assume your SWS would be delegated to midbass duties and they absolutely suck at that. For dedicated midbasses, there are much better choices. Hertz Space 8s is one. They are discontinued now but some people can still find them around. Rainbow W200s or Morel ADMW9s are other choices. The Dayton shallow 8s on partsexpress.com could also be a decent choice for a dedicated midbass. The fact that you are using a trunk mounted subs opens up so many more options it would be a shame if you didn't explore them. Hopefully you can get them tuned to your liking but from my experience with them, they do not play well above 125 Hz.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #8
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home


Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (1)

I agree with Billy. Replace the SWS8s with a true midbass driver. I'd also axe the moBridge unless you had EP and you need it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 02:19 AM   #9
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
19

 
10M3MAN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Wharton, TX


Posts: 1,500
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to 10M3MAN
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
United_States
162

 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida


Posts: 11,153
iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
Finally installed Focal 100KRS(all four doors) Arc Audio 300.4 & .2,Audison Bitone.1, Earthquake 8" shallow subs , 13" Focal sub, and a mobridge DA1000 preamp. Still need to fine tune the system. My installer has different tastes in music than I do and I wasnt able to be there for the tune! If you are into old rock, the 8" subs just wont do you will be unhappy!~ You need power and a good sub woofer to pull the bass out of the older recordings. More later after my tune on this system!!!
!
Why mObridge is saying that the MY2009 iDrive coding for the DA1000 is not ready yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
jml
Captain
17

 
jml's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Austin, TX


Posts: 986
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I agree with Billy. Replace the SWS8s with a true midbass driver. I'd also axe the moBridge unless you had EP and you need it.
+1 - SWS is a terrible 60-300Hz mid-bass unit. Really bad above 120Hz. But the location is great, you get a lot of efficiency by having a bass driver 4 inches from your butt.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #12
hogwild
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2011 m3 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: So.Cal.


Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Finally tuned!

Im very happy with the new audio system! Over all the system is clean and loves to play loud and clear! I agree the mid 8's under the seats are the weak spot of the system, but no shallow 8 is going to blow you away!! The mobridge has some flaws but minimal(some of the beeps etc. dont work, but mobridge is working on it and says a new program will fix all the minor problems! Ya I added some weight, but Im only 175 lbs. You heavier guys may have to watch it
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #13
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
15

 
Dannys M3's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Florida


Posts: 706
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 M3  [5.00]
Can we see some pictures? I would like to see how and where your Arc Audio amps are mounted. I bought the KS 300.4 and will probably also buy the 300.2. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
hogwild
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2011 m3 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: So.Cal.


Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Going to Vegas for 3 days! Post some pics when I get back!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #15
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home


Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
Im very happy with the new audio system! Over all the system is clean and loves to play loud and clear! I agree the mid 8's under the seats are the weak spot of the system, but no shallow 8 is going to blow you away!! The mobridge has some flaws but minimal(some of the beeps etc. dont work, but mobridge is working on it and says a new program will fix all the minor problems! Ya I added some weight, but Im only 175 lbs. You heavier guys may have to watch it
You are very, very wrong. The difference is you put a SUB in where you needed a MIDBASS driver. Morel and DLS both make great 8" midbasses that will easily fit in the OEM locations.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
hogwild
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2011 m3 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: So.Cal.


Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Is this an opinion? Or do you have these in your own car??? Im going to assume that you are a professional in this field to tell people they are very very wrong. Please enlighten me to your your learned, not I have a friend knowledge. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #17
808MGuy
Colonel
49

 
808MGuy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii


Posts: 2,287
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
You are very, very wrong. The difference is you put a SUB in where you needed a MIDBASS driver. Morel and DLS both make great 8" midbasses that will easily fit in the OEM locations.
I didn't know DLS had a shallow 8" midbass. I'm shopping around again as I need a similar driver for my brother's C6 Corvette. They have shallow 10" woofers in the doors but depth is only 3" so I'm thinking I'll put a shallow 8" in there.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #18
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
316


 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA


Posts: 10,502
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Why mObridge is saying that the MY2009 iDrive coding for the DA1000 is not ready yet?
Possibly ready, just not verified. We need a CiC-equipped M3 in house to give the green light on the DA1000.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #19
hogwild
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2011 m3 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: So.Cal.


Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Tom/EAS

Contact Seth at Sound Tech (5629898444) in Long Beach. He installed my mobridge.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2010, 02:58 AM   #20
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
31

 
Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home


Posts: 2,731
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
Is this an opinion? Or do you have these in your own car??? Im going to assume that you are a professional in this field to tell people they are very very wrong. Please enlighten me to your your learned, not I have a friend knowledge. Thanks for your help.
Call it an informed opinon. I am not in ME retail anymore but I have about a decade and a half of professional experience and almost 20 years of total experience. Just because a driver is shallow does not automatically mean it's a bad performer. If you've only gotten into car audio in the last maybe 10 years or so then you're not doubt used to subs with really wide surrounds so they can move 3". Back in the day a sub had a much smaller surround but that also meant it had more cone area. Remember that displacement is a function of cone area AND excursion. A small cone that moves very far will not necessarily be any louder than a larger cone that doesn't move as far, it is a hell of a lot more impressive to watch though. Another byproduct of less excusrion is improved SQ. A cone that's not moving as far is better controlled by the suspension. Last, we're talking about midbass here. Withan 8" driver in a car you do not need a great deal of excursion to get to really silly volume levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
I didn't know DLS had a shallow 8" midbass. I'm shopping around again as I need a similar driver for my brother's C6 Corvette. They have shallow 10" woofers in the doors but depth is only 3" so I'm thinking I'll put a shallow 8" in there.
Yep, it's the 8" used in the 8.2 and 8.3 Ultimate Iridium sets. It's not marketed at the shallow mount crowd specifically. The site lists them at 2.75" deep but a 3/4" spacer will allow it to fit.
http://dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_82
http://dls.se/en/car/prod.html?produkt=en_83

I'm pretty sure the Dyn 182 would fit in that space as well. It's listed as 75mm which should be just shy of 3". If you look at the plots, even at 60 degrees off axis it's not 3dB down until between 2000KHz and 2500KHz so it could be paired with a wideband tweeter for a 2-way set.
http://dynaudio.com/eng/auto/esotec/tech_mw182.htm
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 05:14 AM   #21
Dannys M3
Captain
United_States
15

 
Dannys M3's Avatar
 
Drives: Space Grey E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Florida


Posts: 706
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild View Post
Going to Vegas for 3 days! Post some pics when I get back!!!
Well?????
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 10:13 AM   #22
kimchi///kush
Private
4

 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago


Posts: 87
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
I agree with Billy. Replace the SWS8s with a true midbass driver. I'd also axe the moBridge unless you had EP and you need it.
Would you still replace the SWS8s with a midbass driver even if there wasn't going to be another larger sub? Just wondering if there's a better subwoofer solution if you're limited only to the space under the seat.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST