BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
VF-Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #1
SeanE92
Captain
SeanE92's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: 2011.75 Jerez Black E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (3)

New suspension advice - Ohlins, Bilstein, KW?

Hey,

I am trying to decide what suspension I should go with.

1. I drive the car everyday and I track it at least 1 time a month.

2. I have had H&R springs on it and currently am using the complete ground control coilover conversion kit.

3. I would PREFER to keep using the EDC or have an alternative electronic control.

4. Camber plates are a must have and height adjust-ability is a must have.

Car is a competition edition if that matters, definitely prefer linear springs.

Current options -

1. Ohlins R&T
- good previous experience with a e92 335i
- no camber plates
- LOSE edc

2. Bilstein B16 Damptronic
- KEEP edc
- no camber plates
- no reviews anywhere really

3. KW Clubsport
- no edc
- yes on the camber plates
- not sure if it will be comfortable on street

4. any other suggestions???
__________________
~~ Coming Soon
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 12:12 AM   #2
Move Over
First Lieutenant
27
Rep
362
Posts

Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Peninsula

iTrader: (1)

I just put ohlins RT with the vorshlag plates on and love them. You know the versatility of them already, have EDC coded out.

After a ton of searching, I could not find any real reviews on the damptronic, but the lowest quote I got on them was 4300. About 1900 more than I paid for the ohlins.

Don't know
Much about the club sports. I know they are geared towards the track, and if you daily your car, they might be too
Much for a daily. I daily my vehicle too and I feel that the ohlins are perfect about 20 clicks out, and are still comfortable on full stiff as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 12:20 AM   #3
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
OneMmmm's Avatar
United_States
50
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Move Over View Post
I just put ohlins RT with the vorshlag plates on and love them. You know the versatility of them already, have EDC coded out.

After a ton of searching, I could not find any real reviews on the damptronic, but the lowest quote I got on them was 4300. About 1900 more than I paid for the ohlins.

Don't know
Much about the club sports. I know they are geared towards the track, and if you daily your car, they might be too
Much for a daily. I daily my vehicle too and I feel that the ohlins are perfect about 20 clicks out, and are still comfortable on full stiff as well.
Any issues w/ 'rake' on the Ohlins? Or is this something that can be corrected w/ height adjustment?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 12:43 AM   #4
FogCityM3
Colonel
FogCityM3's Avatar
119
Rep
2,001
Posts

Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Really like my TCKline D/As (koni shocks)...it takes a little futzing around to get them right, but is made easier if you follow TCKline's directions exactly for street or track set up. Is extremely street compliant, rides better than stock EDC in comfort mode. TC's E90 M3 is doing ~1:40+ Laguna seca lap times with suspension wheels and pads alone, which is basically around 1 sec of stock M4 territory
__________________
TC Kline D/A Coilovers | BPM Stage I Dev Tune | MPE Cat-Back Exhaust | ATS Superlight 19" Wheels | Essex/AP-Racing Lightweight BBK | Cantrell Motorsports Brake Ducts | Dinan Pulley | Dinan CF Strut Braces | Dinan CF Elbow | Göke Carbontechnik CF Plenum | Technocraft Envy Intake | BMW M Perf E Steering Wheel | BMW CF Splitters/Spoiler/Mirror Caps | M Perf Pedals | M5 Shift Knob | BMW OEM Grills/Gills/Hood Vents
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #5
Move Over
First Lieutenant
27
Rep
362
Posts

Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Peninsula

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMmmm View Post
Any issues w/ 'rake' on the Ohlins? Or is this something that can be corrected w/ height adjustment?
I currently have the back set to full low and the front still has about 8-9 turns til full low. I am about 25" ground to fender all around. So, there's not much of a rake.

I do wish they went a little lower in the back, but I can probably ditch one of the rings and get another half an inch out of it. I talked to apex, vorshlag and several others and they all said I'm at a good height for daily/track use.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
OneMmmm
Lieutenant
OneMmmm's Avatar
United_States
50
Rep
483
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southwest

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the insight. Any chance of getting a photo of your setup?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #7
Move Over
First Lieutenant
27
Rep
362
Posts

Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Peninsula

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMmmm View Post
Thanks for the insight. Any chance of getting a photo of your setup?
I'll get you one later today. My car looks like yours now...I went with the arc8 square setup too thanks to your pics/help haha.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 12:28 AM   #8
Bx Tpr
Lieutenant
Bx Tpr's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
538
Posts

Drives: '13 M
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
Really like my TCKline D/As (koni shocks)...it takes a little futzing around to get them right, but is made easier if you follow TCKline's directions exactly for street or track set up. Is extremely street compliant, rides better than stock EDC in comfort mode. TC's E90 M3 is doing ~1:40+ Laguna seca lap times with suspension wheels and pads alone, which is basically around 1 sec of stock M4 territory
+1 for TCKline DA's

Awesome customer service is always a phone call away and their recommended settings are spot on. I would suggest you get the camber AND caster adjustable plates if ordering. The camber only plates were so damn noisy and the caster was permanently adjusted rearward (+) causing the steering feel to change.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST