BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #23
alms21
Captain
 
Drives: '10 GT-R
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Frederick, MD/Sarasota, FL

Posts: 811
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
True and brandwise

BMW>Nissan>Ford>Chevy

Thats my point
I don't give two shits about "brand". I'm no fanboi of any badge on the hood. I'm a car guy not a GM, Porsche, MB, BMW, etc nutswinger.

At the end of the day, I'd take a Z06 over a 328/335/M3/M5/M6 (Chevy > BMW in this case); I'd take a GT-R over an M3 (NIssan > BMW in this case); I'd take a Ford GT over any 911 Porsche (Ford > than Porsche in this case). Thats my point
__________________
2014 Audi S5
2010 GT-R (gone)
2006 BMW X5; '04 Toyota 4runner LTD
Past: '11 M3; '07 Porsche 997 Turbo; '09 E92 M3, '11 GS Vette; E46M3; C6Z06; E60M5; '09 335; '06 CaymanS; Porsche 996 Turbo; Porsche 997S

Last edited by alms21; 04-17-2010 at 05:36 PM.
alms21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #24
montreal red
chris
 
montreal red's Avatar
 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 12,118
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
the mustang is definitely a compelling package... its about time that ford stepped up its game and got rid of their old v8. i would have never ever considered a mustang before but with the new 5.0, thats has definitely changed. the only thing bout mustangs is that they have a slightly numb steering feel. i have not test driven the new mustang. if the steering feels like that in my m3 then, i'd be down to get one in the future. i highly doubt this is the case though.
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
montreal red is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2010, 07:39 PM   #25
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 vert's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...

Posts: 1,793
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
I don't give two shits about "brand". I'm no fanboi of any badge on the hood. I'm a car guy not a GM, Porsche, MB, BMW, etc nutswinger.

At the end of the day, I'd take a Z06 over a 328/335/M3/M5/M6 (Chevy > BMW in this case); I'd take a GT-R over an M3 (NIssan > BMW in this case); I'd take a Ford GT over any 911 Porsche (Ford > than Porsche in this case). Thats my point
Take it easy buddy, i was just busting ur balls by saying my point your point.

And most of those comparisons are subjective to your tastes as many can be argued otherwise.

Have you seen some of the comparison tests of the M3, then you can understand its not about power, its about the overall package!

The Ford GT? ok with its reliability I would be lucky to get to the store and come back in one piece. Whereas in a 911 I can DD, and will be more reliable then the Ford! Not to mention the aftersales experience will be amazing too.

I am not a brand whore by any means, i drive them for what they are! But you have to take into account that European Brands aftersales experience is more forgiving then the domestic/japanese brands (except lexus which I can attest to is in-par if not better then BMW's, as I own several lexus and have been very happy with them!)

Last edited by M3 vert; 04-17-2010 at 07:45 PM.
M3 vert is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #26
AMOCHOSTO
Major
 
AMOCHOSTO's Avatar
 
Drives: IB BB E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto.

Posts: 1,007
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
True and brandwise

BMW>Nissan>Ford>Chevy>Ford

Thats my point
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
I don't give two shits about "brand". I'm no fanboi of any badge on the hood. I'm a car guy not a GM, Porsche, MB, BMW, etc nutswinger.

At the end of the day, I'd take a Z06 over a 328/335/M3/M5/M6 (Chevy > BMW in this case); I'd take a GT-R over an M3 (NIssan > BMW in this case); I'd take a Ford GT over any 911 Porsche (Ford > than Porsche in this case). Thats my point
Agreed, I respect anybody who loves his ride, no matter how good it is from my perspective, but I just can't like the retro look Mustangs. It galls me rather than excites me that the Mustang is this good.
__________________
E90 Interlagos Blue, (Winter Beater) Bamboo Beige, M-Drive, EDC, PDC, USB 6MT.
Mods to date; Curb rash, Scraped front spoiler, Installed RAC Monolite RG63 Silver
1984 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe (ROW)


Last edited by AMOCHOSTO; 04-17-2010 at 08:16 PM.
AMOCHOSTO is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #27
alms21
Captain
 
Drives: '10 GT-R
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Frederick, MD/Sarasota, FL

Posts: 811
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Take it easy buddy, i was just busting ur balls by saying my point your point.

And most of those comparisons are subjective to your tastes as many can be argued otherwise.

Have you seen some of the comparison tests of the M3, then you can understand its not about power, its about the overall package!

The Ford GT? ok with its reliability I would be lucky to get to the store and come back in one piece. Whereas in a 911 I can DD, and will be more reliable then the Ford! Not to mention the aftersales experience will be amazing too.

I am not a brand whore by any means, i drive them for what they are! But you have to take into account that European Brands aftersales experience is more forgiving then the domestic/japanese brands (except lexus which I can attest to is in-par if not better then BMW's, as I own several lexus and have been very happy with them!)

It's obvious you have no idea what a Ford GT is See below and you might understand what Ford GT I am talking about. Getting to the store and back is not what you do with this Ford GT.

I owned a modern (997S) 911 Porsche and it was single handedly the biggest rattle trap and disappointment of any car that I have owned. And no, any sane person would not attempt to DD a 911. It is a noisy cabin, with no room for anything (see drycleaning, golf clubs, etc,).

I stand by what I said as far as what is >>>> than <<<<
Attached Images
 
__________________
2014 Audi S5
2010 GT-R (gone)
2006 BMW X5; '04 Toyota 4runner LTD
Past: '11 M3; '07 Porsche 997 Turbo; '09 E92 M3, '11 GS Vette; E46M3; C6Z06; E60M5; '09 335; '06 CaymanS; Porsche 996 Turbo; Porsche 997S

Last edited by alms21; 04-17-2010 at 09:28 PM.
alms21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2010, 09:26 PM   #28
alms21
Captain
 
Drives: '10 GT-R
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Frederick, MD/Sarasota, FL

Posts: 811
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMOCHOSTO View Post
Fixed



Agreed, I respect anybody who loves his ride, no matter how good it is from my perspective, but I just can't like the retro look Mustangs. It galls me rather than excites me that the Mustang is this good.

I'm in no way saying that i would take a new Mustang over an E9x M3. I wouldn't in a minute.................even as good a deal as it may be. Now, a C6 Vette (in Grand Sport/Z06 trim) is a different story
__________________
2014 Audi S5
2010 GT-R (gone)
2006 BMW X5; '04 Toyota 4runner LTD
Past: '11 M3; '07 Porsche 997 Turbo; '09 E92 M3, '11 GS Vette; E46M3; C6Z06; E60M5; '09 335; '06 CaymanS; Porsche 996 Turbo; Porsche 997S

Last edited by alms21; 04-18-2010 at 09:11 AM.
alms21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2010, 03:38 AM   #29
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 vert's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...

Posts: 1,793
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
It's obvious you have no idea what a Ford GT is See below and you might understand what Ford GT I am talking about. Getting to the store and back is not what you do with this Ford GT.
You have no idea of what and who you are talking to!
I am very well aware of my cars and have owned and driven more cars then you can think of and obviously know what the ford gt is !
does that mean i would change my opinion about it? NO!
I think its the most hideous sportscar out there, and i would not even look at it, let alone care about its performance!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
I owned a modern (997S) 911 Porsche and it was single handedly the biggest rattle trap and disappointment of any car that I have owned. And no, any sane person would not attempt to DD a 911. It is a noisy cabin, with no room for anything (see drycleaning, golf clubs, etc,).

I stand by what I said as far as what is >>>> than <<<<
Why did you keep buying 911s then?

Also, I disagree many friends of mine drive them all year around as DD here in canada including some of my girlfriends too! and gearhead can attest to this as many of his clients including women drive 911s.

also, what are you basing your comparisons on? nissan? chevy? ford? bmw?

lets get to that next, i want to hear this
M3 vert is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #30
alms21
Captain
 
Drives: '10 GT-R
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Frederick, MD/Sarasota, FL

Posts: 811
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
You have no idea of what and who you are talking to!
I am very well aware of my cars and have owned and driven more cars then you can think of and obviously know what the ford gt is !
does that mean i would change my opinion about it? NO!
I think its the most hideous sportscar out there, and i would not even look at it, let alone care about its performance!!!




Why did you keep buying 911s then?

Also, I disagree many friends of mine drive them all year around as DD here in canada including some of my girlfriends too! and gearhead can attest to this as many of his clients including women drive 911s.

also, what are you basing your comparisons on? nissan? chevy? ford? bmw?

lets get to that next, i want to hear this

I owned the CaymanS first brand new. It was/is a great car; just too damn small and not enough balls. I bought the 996tt next (used). Only had the car for about 8 months. Nice enough car but not worth anywhere near the original $120k asking price. Fried egg headlights are awful and interior design is bad. After a couple other cars (M5 and C6Z06) tried the 997...nine months and countless rattles/vibrations later, I got rid of it. No more Porsches for me.

As you said "I don't know who I'm talking to"...take your own advice and realize you don't know me from Adam either. I've owned a ton of cars with MANY different badges on the hood and all the cars that I have mentioned I have either owned or driven.

I NEVER said Nissan was a better mfgr than BMW......I said some mfgrs make individually better cars than those of a perceived higher quality mfgr. See GT-R vs a 328/335 BMW. That is exactly what my initial comment was. Comments like ..."a Mustang GT is still just a Ford" and/or a GT-R is still just a Nissan" are just assinine statements. Comments just like that are the reason why many (not all) BMW/Porsche owners carry the "douchebag" moniker.
__________________
2014 Audi S5
2010 GT-R (gone)
2006 BMW X5; '04 Toyota 4runner LTD
Past: '11 M3; '07 Porsche 997 Turbo; '09 E92 M3, '11 GS Vette; E46M3; C6Z06; E60M5; '09 335; '06 CaymanS; Porsche 996 Turbo; Porsche 997S

Last edited by alms21; 04-18-2010 at 08:31 AM.
alms21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #31
skierman64
Brigadier General
 
skierman64's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 Space Gray M3 & E36M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Greater St Louis Metro area

Posts: 3,068
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to skierman64
Well this thread turned to crap.
__________________
Get a professional motorsports full featured stopwatch app for your Blackberry here: http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/19464
Invest Wisely...The best mod for your money?? BMWCCA high performance driver's school. The mod that lasts a lifetime and improves the performance of any car you drive
skierman64 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 12:43 AM   #32
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
 
OverDrive's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,327
iTrader: (0)

I doubt those figures are at the wheel, but if they are, that is very impressive.
OverDrive is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #33
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,685
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
I doubt those figures are at the wheel, but if they are, that is very impressive.

That is at the wheel.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #34
shagkie
Captain
 
shagkie's Avatar
 
Drives: a....V8
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GTA, Canada

Posts: 628
iTrader: (0)

lets all start listing all the cars we've owned and driven and the winner is the person with the longest list
shagkie is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #35
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,685
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagkie View Post
lets all start listing all the cars we've owned and driven and the winner is the person with the longest list
I have that one,hands downI am the old guy and have been driving since 1970
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #36
Fanta
C
 
Fanta's Avatar
 
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera & C320
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 566
iTrader: (1)

You dye your hair and beard, lose some weight; you may look like Jaypod's younger brother.
Fanta is online now   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #37
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,685
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanta View Post
You dye your hair and beard, lose some weight; you may look like Jaypod's younger brother.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #38
turb934
First Lieutenant
 
turb934's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Posts: 325
iTrader: (0)

The guy with all the carbon fibre under the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod
Inside joke between me and the OP - a lot of people in this regional forum know each other....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Who are you
__________________
08 E92 Interlagos blue, AFE filter, AA X-Pipe & HFC, AA pulley, AA software V1.5, Eisenmann race, M Performance Steering Wheel II, Pagid RS19's, Stoptech SS brake hoses, RAC RG63 Silver, Motul 600, E93 front & rear stablizer bars, M3 Competition Package Carbon Fiber Rear Lip Spoiler, Vorsteiner GTS3 carbon fiber front bumper & vented hood.
turb934 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #39
mylydiamy
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 335i e93 convertible
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 510
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via Yahoo to mylydiamy
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
True and brandwise

BMW>Nissan>Ford>Chevy

Thats my point
I find this type of generalizations completely meaningless. Every car brand has has some good and bad models. Do you thing X3 is the best in its class? Or how about 7 series? How about completely useless X6?
mylydiamy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #40
Doctor J
Captain
 
Doctor J's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver BC

Posts: 713
iTrader: (0)

The new Stangs still have a solid rear axle?
__________________
2010 BMW M3 vert with DCT & Akra
Doctor J is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #41
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
 
OverDrive's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,327
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
That is at the wheel.
But ford advertises it as 412 hp at the crank, surely they can't be under exaggerating it that much!

that would mean that the drive train loss is less than 5%
OverDrive is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 02:11 PM   #42
Jaypod
Brigadier General
 
Jaypod's Avatar
 
Drives: Frozen Silver M3, AM V8V
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 4,916
iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
But ford advertises it as 412 hp at the crank, surely they can't be under exaggerating it that much!

that would mean that the drive train loss is less than 5%
Wouldnt be the first time a car company has been pessimistic on their hp numbers. Remember things like insurance are affected and this brings them in the Camaro range too.
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #43
Gearhead999s
Major General
 
Gearhead999s's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 335is(wifes)E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 6,685
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrive View Post
But ford advertises it as 412 hp at the crank, surely they can't be under exaggerating it that much!

that would mean that the drive train loss is less than 5%
I have it from a good reliable source that they are 425-435 at the crank.He is developing a 550 + version.
Gearhead999s is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2010, 04:02 PM   #44
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
 
OverDrive's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 1,327
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Wouldnt be the first time a car company has been pessimistic on their hp numbers. Remember things like insurance are affected and this brings them in the Camaro range too.
Ya, but this is being too pessimistic imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I have it from a good reliable source that they are 425-435 at the crank.He is developing a 550 + version.
no no no...I trust you, I just find it odd that, as Jaypod said, Ford is being too pessimistic about these figures. But overall, props to them for bringing the 5.0 back
OverDrive is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST