BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #45
jimmyeatsworld
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
212
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
I got just over 360WHP today on a MAHA dyno. Unfortunately something wasn't right with the settings and at redline the dyno was calculating RPMs around 7700RPM so the calculated power from the dyno was out (so the dyno was saying the car was making around 330WHP). We assumed 7700RPM = 8300RPM which gave a figure of just over 360WHP with the car making 230lbft of torque at the wheels at redline

I am awaiting the data files and will post up the numbers...

Of course without the stock dyno I can't say exactly what the gains are but MAHA dynos are known to read very low and the absolute figures are similar to what Powerchip Australia saw (around 320WHP vs 360WHP on Dyno Dynamics).
Let's be honest.

That did not help the cause.
__________________
RPI GT Race Exhaust ~ RPI Scoops ~ BMC Air Filter ~ 19" BBS LM DBK ~ JL Motoring VRS Front Lip ~ Vorsteiner Diffuser Type I ~ KW Clubsports

My RPI GT Race Dyno vs. Stock: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239228
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #46
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

ok i was bored so i did some math

414=crank horsepower
15% drive train loss=62.1

STOCK: 414 - 15%= 351.9(352)rwhp

then

MAHA: 360rwhp + 15% = 422.1

so according to your MAHA results that is not much of a gain at all BUT real world results will obviously be different and I have no knowledge about a MAHA dyno except that BMW uses it...

the best way to do this is run a stock car, then a stock car with powerchip stage 1, then stage 3...theres gotta be a bigger gain than that 360rwhp
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #47
bigpuna
Private
0
Rep
79
Posts

 
Drives: Z4 35i / E92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
I got just over 360WHP today on a MAHA dyno. Unfortunately something wasn't right with the settings and at redline the dyno was calculating RPMs around 7700RPM so the calculated power from the dyno was out (so the dyno was saying the car was making around 330WHP). We assumed 7700RPM = 8300RPM which gave a figure of just over 360WHP with the car making 230lbft of torque at the wheels at redline

I am awaiting the data files and will post up the numbers...

Of course without the stock dyno I can't say exactly what the gains are but MAHA dynos are known to read very low and the absolute figures are similar to what Powerchip Australia saw (around 320WHP vs 360WHP on Dyno Dynamics).
MAHA dyno's are very accurate. They dont read low they just dont read as high as dyno's with very little load or dyno's that can be "adjusted" by the operator. Also without a baseline this test is of 0 value. If you want to properly test the software do a baseline on the dyno then flash the car and dyno again.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #48
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpuna View Post
MAHA dyno's are very accurate. They dont read low they just dont read as high as dyno's with very little load or dyno's that can be "adjusted" by the operator. Also without a baseline this test is of 0 value. If you want to properly test the software do a baseline on the dyno then flash the car and dyno again.
yeah we need that baseline on the MAHA ideally everything should be done same day...stock run then stage 3 run
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 05:52 PM   #49
mixja
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

iTrader: (1)

I am total in agreement that dynos are best used a reference measurement tool. I would have done a stock baseline on the MAHA dyno but it has only just been setup in New Zealand.

I previously got almost 370WHP on a Dynapack dyno stock (in 2nd gear)...I should probably go back to that dyno however we could never get the car past 2nd gear. Seems you need to trigger ABS sensor fault somehow to get it to work, the ABS fault triggered immediately on the MAHA dyno...
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #50
mixja
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Beverly Hils, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyeatsworld View Post

Let's be honest.

That did not help the cause.
Well I was being honest - I'm just providing a dyno result.

What cause am I helping?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 11:15 PM   #51
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
I am total in agreement that dynos are best used a reference measurement tool. I would have done a stock baseline on the MAHA dyno but it has only just been setup in New Zealand.

I previously got almost 370WHP on a Dynapack dyno stock (in 2nd gear)...I should probably go back to that dyno however we could never get the car past 2nd gear. Seems you need to trigger ABS sensor fault somehow to get it to work, the ABS fault triggered immediately on the MAHA dyno...
thanks mixja hope to hear some more updates
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 02:25 AM   #52
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,804
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
We will be testing the new software on my M3 in the next couple weeks. I can't say that it produces 40HP until I see the car put that down on the dyno, but I think it's safe to say that it will be the best software out there for the E9x M3. It will make great power over stock with minimal increases in timing.

We are also working on similiar developments for the E6x M5/M6.

It's not called Stage III, but the name isn't important - the power and reliability is!
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #53
MShao825
Go Terps!
MShao825's Avatar
20
Rep
1,377
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 SSII/FR E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jersey City, NJ Gaithersburg, MD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post
We will be testing the new software on my M3 in the next couple weeks. I can't say that it produces 40HP until I see the car put that down on the dyno, but I think it's safe to say that it will be the best software out there for the E9x M3. It will make great power over stock with minimal increases in timing.

We are also working on similiar developments for the E6x M5/M6.

It's not called Stage III, but the name isn't important - the power and reliability is!
Mike, will current Powerchip customers be able to get re-flashed to the new software when it's released at no cost?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #54
DevJ
Colonel
DevJ's Avatar
35
Rep
2,712
Posts

 
Drives: '14 Cayman S/IS350/RRS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, OK

iTrader: (1)

^ why should they? It's a different type of software.
__________________
E92 M3. SOLD
New: '14 Cayman S PDK
Incoming: GT-R Black Edition
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2010, 10:03 AM   #55
MShao825
Go Terps!
MShao825's Avatar
20
Rep
1,377
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 SSII/FR E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jersey City, NJ Gaithersburg, MD

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
^ why should they? It's a different type of software.
How do you know it's a different type of software? I could very well be wrong, but I just assumed it's another "stage" of the Powerchip tune, in which case it should be the same type of software, just a newer version. I don't think you, I, or anyone else can say for sure right now though. Mike works to re-flash people all the time for all sorts of different reasons (re-flash after dealer flashed back to stock, from Stage I to II, etc.), which is why I asked. I'm very anxious to see what's coming out though
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #56
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshao825 View Post
but I just assumed it's another "stage" of the Powerchip tune, in which case it should be the same type of software, just a newer version
i also assumed it was another stage, which would mean that it would be a more agressive tune compared to stage1...stage 1 and stage 2 are the same exact tune EXCEPT stage 2 fixes the CEL if your car has HFC's or is Cat-less

according to mike's post this new tune is entirely different from the stage1 tune so it is a different type not a new version


Quote:
Originally Posted by mshao825 View Post
I'm very anxious to see what's coming out though
me too
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #57
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,804
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
The new tune is a modified and improved version of our previous Stage I/Stage II tunes with some additional optimization of the VANOS control. This will give more power than it did before.

It will probably be a nominal fee of $200-$300 for users to upgrade to the new version of the software.

For customers that purchase a tune from us right on the cusp of the release of the new vanos file, we will probably offer a further discount due to the short time lapse.

I hope this clears up any confusion - please feel free to contact me with any other questions. Thanks!
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----

Last edited by Mike Benvo; 04-02-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 06:19 PM   #58
MSoldier
Private
0
Rep
77
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 E92
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Mike, how much of a gain is everyone looking at over the Stage 1 and 2? An estimated number?

Sounds good nontheless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post
The new tune is a modified and improved version of our previous Stage I/Stage II tunes with some additional optimization of the VANOS control. This will give more power than it did before.

It will probably be a nominal fee of $200-$300 for users to upgrade to the new version of the software.

For customers that purchase a tune from us right on the cusp of the release of the new vanos file, we will probably offer a further discount due to the short time lapse.

I hope this clears up any confusion - please feel free to contact me with any other questions. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #59
e.n335
Moderator
e.n335's Avatar
Austria
98
Rep
4,480
Posts

 
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Switzerland, ZH

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post
The new tune is a modified and improved version of our previous Stage I/Stage II tunes with some additional optimization of the VANOS control. This will give more power than it did before.

It will probably be a nominal fee of $200-$300 for users to upgrade to the new version of the software.

For customers that purchase a tune from us right on the cusp of the release of the new vanos file, we will probably offer a further discount due to the short time lapse.

I hope this clears up any confusion - please feel free to contact me with any other questions. Thanks!
How to get this tune in Switzerland ? I will not send my cars ECU somewhere ...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #60
Leozap
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
952
Posts

 
Drives: AW E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (5)

How much does it cost for this Stage III? Estimation?
__________________
11 335is, KW1, M3 bits and what not
08 M3 Sedan 6mt, loaded, modded to the bone
Old: 04 M3 SMG
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #61
buddster
Private First Class
6
Rep
187
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

How soon will it be ready? My car is due in a month and would love to drop it in right away. Best guess?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #62
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #63
Leozap
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
952
Posts

 
Drives: AW E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
Sounds like you know something and not telling.
__________________
11 335is, KW1, M3 bits and what not
08 M3 Sedan 6mt, loaded, modded to the bone
Old: 04 M3 SMG
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #64
xxe92xx
Banned
18
Rep
783
Posts

 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozap View Post
Sounds like you know something and not telling.
i shared pretty much everything i know, im just excited to get this tune...i gotta get a dyno with my current setup before i get the new tune though so i can compare
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #65
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
4,804
Posts


 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSoldier View Post
Mike, how much of a gain is everyone looking at over the Stage 1 and 2? An estimated number?

Sounds good nontheless
It looks like it will be about 20rwhp on a bone stock car with no mods.

However, testing has not been fully completed so it may be higher or lower than that number.

We will post info up as there are new developments. Right now we are pretty busy preparing for Mfest.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #66
Leozap
Captain
United_States
19
Rep
952
Posts

 
Drives: AW E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (5)

I know that this has been asked already but I will throw it out anyway.

Did anyone in the U.S. got nailed by BMW Service for having this powerchip flash? How easy it is for them to find out? I am very interested but I am a little bit worried.
__________________
11 335is, KW1, M3 bits and what not
08 M3 Sedan 6mt, loaded, modded to the bone
Old: 04 M3 SMG
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST