BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Evolve Automotive

03-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #45
MrRoboto
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
From the understanding of Canadian law (from her column even) I think it would have been okay to charge and arrest her with a "hate crime". I do not agree with the violence that actually kept her from giving the speech though.

I believe you should be able to say whatever you want where ever you want. Just know there can be political and civil penalties. I do not think physical violence is the right thing to fight words with.
There was no violence. She was cautioned against breaking Canadian law.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #46
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Coulter has said all terrorists are Muslims and has suggested all Muslims be barred from airlines and use flying carpets.

When the student said she didn't have a flying carpet, Coulter told her to "take a camel."

Intellectual?
okay, so many things wrong with this...

She never said that Muslims should be on a no-fly list, she just said that they should be looked at more closely than 90 year old, blue-haired women.

She didn't suggest the flying carpet, a student did when she was asking Coulter a question. After many minutes of heckling from the audience (which is cut out of the clip if you watch it on any of the networks), she responded to the hecklers with the camel joke.

I'm not a Coulter fanboy but I don't think she should be barred from speaking just because people might disagree with her.

And I don't know why people get so upset about this stuff, it's obvious she only says these extremist remarks for attention. More attention equates to more TV appearances, book sales, etc. Anyone who pays attention to this junk should know that they are just making more money for her.
      03-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #47
shpirate87
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Why not focus your energies on what is going on in China for example if you are so concerned with free speech.

Statements like the following serve no purpose other then to sell books.
“They’d better hope the United States doesn’t roll over one night and crush them. They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent.”
I promise, if you start a thread here about Chinese human rights abuses I will contribute. Since you started this thread instead maybe you should focus more of your energy on what is going on in China.

As for that quote, do you realize she was playing off a rather famous quote from Pierre Trudeau, "Living next to (the US) is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt." So lighten up.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 08:53 AM   #48
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
There was no violence.
Only the threat of violence.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6328694.shtml
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #49
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
Where was the actual threat? The asme woman is quoted in every article discussing this. I can't find any other references to this threat she was talking about. Maybe because it was in her mind?
      03-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #50
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
Where was the actual threat? The asme woman is quoted in every article discussing this. I can't find any other references to this threat she was talking about. Maybe because it was in her mind?
It is a wire service report from the AP. Of course they all quote the same person.

Are you saying the organizer is a liar and they were not advised to cancel the appearance because of the security threat?

FYI: Ezra Levant is a guy
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 10:45 AM   #51
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
It is a wire service report from the AP. Of course they all quote the same person.

Are you saying the organizer is a liar and they were not advised to cancel the appearance because of the security threat?

FYI: Ezra Levant is a guy
I am saying they blew it out of proportion. What was the actual threat? That hasn't been mentioned, just that there was the possibility of one. To me sounds like they were a bit loose with the facts. Nobody from Ottawa PD or the University has come forward saying exactly what the violence was. It was violent because there were 200 students lining the hallway to the place where she was going to speak?
      03-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #52
MrRoboto
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
I promise, if you start a thread here about Chinese human rights abuses I will contribute. Since you started this thread instead maybe you should focus more of your energy on what is going on in China.
I am not the one defending her.

As for that quote, do you realize she was playing off a rather famous quote from Pierre Trudeau, "Living next to (the US) is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt." So lighten up.[/quote]

"They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent." kind of a stretch from Trudeau's statement don't you think?

I am all for free speech but thee sort of comments are there only to stir the pot. They serve no other purpose. Without these comments she is nothing.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 10:53 AM   #53
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I am saying they blew it out of proportion. What was the actual threat? That hasn't been mentioned, just that there was the possibility of one. To me sounds like they were a bit loose with the facts. Nobody from Ottawa PD or the University has come forward saying exactly what the violence was. It was violent because there were 200 students lining the hallway to the place where she was going to speak?
The fact that the campus police have not disputed the story that they advised against the event proceeding is pretty convincing to me. This looks bad for the university and it would sure be in their interest to dispute it.

Ann Coulter, like most public figures receives threats all the time. She does not cancel appearances for non-existent threats.

If you demand more evidence of this threat, do you do the same with the uncorroborated accusations against the protesters in Washington this week?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #54
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I am not the one defending her.

"They are lucky we allow them to exist on the same continent." kind of a stretch from Trudeau's statement don't you think?

I am all for free speech but thee sort of comments are there only to stir the pot. They serve no other purpose. Without these comments she is nothing.
No, you are the one attacking her.

You clearly are not for free speech. Her comments are harmless.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #55
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
The fact that the campus police have not disputed the story that they advised against the event proceeding is pretty convincing to me. This looks bad for the university and it would sure be in their interest to dispute it.

Ann Coulter, like most public figures receives threats all the time. She does not cancel appearances for non-existent threats.

If you demand more evidence of this threat, do you do the same with the uncorroborated accusations against the protesters in Washington this week?
I am not demanding anything. I am saying that I don't believe her and her statements that there was going to be violence. This sounds more like a case of blowing things out of proportion.

Also, I think her comments like "Muslims can take a flying carpet if they can't get on a plane" do NOTHING but harbor resentment towards americans from the Muslim community. So she can play victim all she wants, but she is the one who came out swinging.
      03-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #56
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I am not demanding anything. I am saying that I don't believe her and her statements that there was going to be violence. This sounds more like a case of blowing things out of proportion.
Then why do you believe the campus has not disputed that they advised her against proceeding?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 11:04 AM   #57
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Also, I think her comments like "Muslims can take a flying carpet if they can't get on a plane" do NOTHING but harbor resentment towards americans from the Muslim community. So she can play victim all she wants, but she is the one who came out swinging.
1. The 'flying carpet' comment was in the question from the Muslim woman not Coulter's response.

2. I think flying airplanes into buildings full of civilians and murdering thousands of innocent people is much more likely to "harbor resentment towards americans from the Muslim community" than a joke about flying carpets or camels ever will.

Last edited by shpirate87; 03-26-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #58
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Quote:
No, you are the one attacking her.

You clearly are not for free speech. Her comments are harmless.
Comments that incite hate, in such a manner as her's notoriously do (the results I've seen first hand), in any form regardless of party are certainly NOT HARMLESS.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #59
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
Comments that incite hate, in such a manner as her's notoriously do (the results I've seen first hand), in any form regardless of party are certainly NOT HARMLESS.
What results of Coulter's comments have you seen first hand?

Unless they slander, threaten, or incite immediate violence, they are harmless.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #60
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shitpirate87 View Post
1. The 'flying carpet' comment was in the question from the Muslim woman not Coulter's response.

2. I think flying airplanes into buildings full of civilians and murdering thousands of innocent people is much more likely to "harbor resentment towards americans from the Muslim community" than a joke about flying carpets or camels ever will.
So you are saying that because of the actions of 19 extremists, you are ok to condemn 1.6 billion people. That's a very rational response.
      03-26-2010, 11:41 AM   #61
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What results of Coulter's comments have you seen first hand?

Unless they slander, threaten, or incite immediate violence, they are harmless.
My roommate in college. After reading Ann Coulter for a poly sci class became obsessed with her stances and became a xenophobe and violent racist as a result of her words. Strong words are always manipulated to fit an agenda, but I had known this guy my whole life. He had never been a hateful person before he read all of her books. Those are the results I have seen first hand. They more or less ruined his life you jackass.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #62
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So you are saying that because of the actions of 19 extremists, you are ok to condemn 1.6 billion people. That's a very rational response.
Who is condemning anyone? I am merely stating the obvious fact that any resentment the American people might have toward Muslims is more likely the result of acts of war committed on them by Muslims than to quips by a columnist.

That is completely rational.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #63
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

Now you are trying to downplay her as just a columnist? She is a columnist, but to say that is all she is...well... seriously.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #64
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
My roommate in college. After reading Ann Coulter for a poly sci class became obsessed with her stances and became a xenophobe and violent racist as a result of her words. Strong words are always manipulated to fit an agenda, but I had known this guy my whole life. He had never been a hateful person before he read all of her books. Those are the results I have seen first hand. They more or less ruined his life you jackass.
I think it much more likely your friend has issues beyond anything he read from Ann Coulter. As Coulter is neither a racist or a xenophobe, it is unlikely he became one by reading her.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #65
Peanuto
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Who is condemning anyone? I am merely stating the obvious fact that any resentment the American people might have toward Muslims is more likely the result of acts of war committed on them by Muslims than to quips by a columnist.

That is completely rational.
Why should we resent Muslims? We should resent the radicals and terrorists, but not Muslims in general. That would be like hating Christians because of the inquisition. She leaves the hate broad, implying all Muslims, as opposed to focusing her statements on the actual small percentage that are the problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #66
NoKids
Major
Rep
Drives: ...

Garage List
2008 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKids View Post
Ann Coulter: "Frankly, I'm not a big fan of the First Amendment. "

University of Florida speech; October 20, 2005

Ann Coulter: ""It's a lovely little country [Canada]. I do recommend that you get free speech. It's a lot of fun."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/sto...4067:b32220366

--------------

Ann Coulter doesn't believe in anything. she'd say anything to be relevant.

i'm sorry U of O students blocked her speech because look at all the attention she's getting. if her speech went as planned we wouldn't be hearing of her. she has nothing to say.
Appreciate 0