BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK
 
E92 Lighting
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #1
phucks1976
New Member
 
Drives: 2007 m3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: london

Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

lumpy idle on startup

Do you M3's run very lumpy / awkward on cold start?
phucks1976 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
hugehead
Lieutenant
 
hugehead's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: manchester

Posts: 468
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
its normal (as stated in the owner's manual )
hugehead is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Flapps
Private First Class
 
Flapps's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bedfordshire, UK

Posts: 185
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugehead View Post
its normal (as stated in the owner's manual )
+1

Flapps
__________________
I'm a agnostic insomniac dyslexic...I lay awake all night wondering if there really is a dog!!!!
Flapps is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #4
Dartanium
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 09 E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CA

Posts: 558
iTrader: (0)

love the cold start sound
Dartanium is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
 
Subw00er's Avatar
 
Drives: 08e92M, 03e46M
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to Subw00er
Also heard its normal from respected m3 mechanic at a BMW dealer. He said something like "These are hand built engines and are a bit finicky." When they warm up, they're like butter!

Enjoy it, these are things that give cars character!
__________________
Custom Exhaust Project: Bates Valvetronic exhaust: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253661 -- Exhaust Mod pics in here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/40236795@N03/
DON'T BUY Race Ready Performance electronic cutout valves. Here's why: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...40#post9589740
Subw00er is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
daveyM3
Private First Class
 
daveyM3's Avatar
 
Drives: Melbourne Red M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: N. Ireland

Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)

There is a software update which cures this issue, and also gets rid of the huge flat spot/ hesitation between 2000 and 3000 rpm. The problem is the software update is not being made available to everyone. A few guys on the Mtorque and M3torque boards have had it done, but only after much debate with their dealers. I believe the problem is the software takes a long time to download (the car must be left connected to computer overnight!) and BMW are refusing to reimburse any dealers who install the software. Those who got the update got it as a good will gesture. I think this issue only affects older cars, newer ones will come with the updated software.
daveyM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2010, 06:06 AM   #7
KadeSdad
Colonel
 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyM3 View Post
There is a software update which cures this issue, and also gets rid of the huge flat spot/ hesitation between 2000 and 3000 rpm. The problem is the software update is not being made available to everyone. A few guys on the Mtorque and M3torque boards have had it done, but only after much debate with their dealers. I believe the problem is the software takes a long time to download (the car must be left connected to computer overnight!) and BMW are refusing to reimburse any dealers who install the software. Those who got the update got it as a good will gesture. I think this issue only affects older cars, newer ones will come with the updated software.
Guessing this update is for DCT
KadeSdad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #8
daveyM3
Private First Class
 
daveyM3's Avatar
 
Drives: Melbourne Red M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: N. Ireland

Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Guessing this update is for DCT
I'm not 100% but I dont think so. I believe it was an engine management software update. There was a thread about it on Mtorque, but its shut down now. There is a little bit of info on M3torque. I think one of the guys who had it done was called Tony B.
daveyM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2010, 06:52 AM   #9
KadeSdad
Colonel
 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyM3 View Post
I'm not 100% but I dont think so. I believe it was an engine management software update. There was a thread about it on Mtorque, but its shut down now. There is a little bit of info on M3torque. I think one of the guys who had it done was called Tony B.
Seems a little odd for a manual to flat spot in that rev range, luckily I have never noticed any flat spots through out the range. I know the early software versions were a nightmare with DCT as lag was a real problem.

I have heard horror stories of M5's taking up to 24hrs to update software, as you say some dealers will not even offer it!
KadeSdad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2010, 06:53 AM   #10
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
 
M3-FAST's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW M5 LCi
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Stafford, UK

Posts: 5,791
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Mine is rough when cold, also if you blip the throttle quite hard, the engine does not rev as freely as when it is warmer, almost like it i being strangled.

Give i a min and it sounds a peach
M3-FAST is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #11
daveyM3
Private First Class
 
daveyM3's Avatar
 
Drives: Melbourne Red M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: N. Ireland

Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)

Easiest way to replicate flat spot is to accelerate at about 2000 rpm in third gear. The car will hold back/ feel low on power until about 3500 rpm, when you get a sudden burst of power. Almost feels like a vtec kick for anyone who has ever driven a type r. My car is Sept 07 and and suffers badly from this.
daveyM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2010, 07:38 AM   #12
KadeSdad
Colonel
 
KadeSdad's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 2,072
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyM3 View Post
Easiest way to replicate flat spot is to accelerate at about 2000 rpm in third gear. The car will hold back/ feel low on power until about 3500 rpm, when you get a sudden burst of power. Almost feels like a vtec kick for anyone who has ever driven a type r. My car is Sept 07 and and suffers badly from this.
Strange, as mine has pretty good low down torque and doesn't seem to suffer or not that I have noticed anyway. I have modified quite a bit so maybe that's helped?

Do let me know if you find anything else out though.
KadeSdad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #13
daveyM3
Private First Class
 
daveyM3's Avatar
 
Drives: Melbourne Red M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: N. Ireland

Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Strange, as mine has pretty good low down torque and doesn't seem to suffer or not that I have noticed anyway. I have modified quite a bit so maybe that's helped?

Do let me know if you find anything else out though.
I would imaging your new exhaust system and remap would solve this issue mate.
daveyM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST