BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

BPM Sport

02-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335ix

Corpseman?!?!

OK, I was going to let this slide because we all mispronounce words all the time but here is the President at the National Prayer Breakfast referring to a Navy "Corpseman" twice.

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t1AU7-bq_Wo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t1AU7-bq_Wo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

That would possibly be an acceptable error for the Commander in Chief but he did the exact same thing last Oct. Does no one on his staff have the guts or knowledge to correct him? Does he care so little about those he leads to get something this simple right?

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dxORB49KtsE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dxORB49KtsE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/u2b]

If Bush was a dunce for mispronouncing "nuclear" what does this say about Obama?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

That is pretty bad. I sure hope someone on his staff sets him straight on this soon. A news article is now wondering if Obama calls it "The Marine Corpse" too...

ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:03 PM   #3
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

I guarantee you that any Marine would correct him immediately for saying "Marine Corpse."
      02-09-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
alpha325i
this chick &gt;
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 328i

perhaps he could pronounce it better if it was represented as مجند

E90 325i - totaled 03/17/10 (R.I.P.)
E92 328i - took delivery 04/02/10
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #5
fdsasdasdf
Captain
Rep

Drives: 330Ci ZHP 6sp

Non-news; tabloid material kinda stuff. People focus too much on grammar/pronunciation and not the guts of what is being said. Though, it is funny. It's annoying when people focus all on the grammar/pronunciation of any president rather than the actual stuff being said.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I dunno, I find it quite sad when my Commander in Chief cannot correctly pronounce one of the most important elements of the Department of the Navy. This guy is supposed to represent the United States of America, and he cannot even correctly pronounce the name of something that belongs to his military. Oh well, what can ya do?

Last edited by lambtron; 02-09-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
alpha325i
this chick &gt;
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Non-news; tabloid material kinda stuff. People focus too much on grammar/pronunciation and not the guts of what is being said. Though, it is funny. It's annoying when people focus all on the grammar/pronunciation of any president rather than the actual stuff being said.
Amen Brother. you said it perfectly..."stuff" being said. That is the majority of the problem. "Stuff" is being said, or jiberish if you will. We have been hearing the same "stuff" for well over a year now and the only positive thing I can remember being said (not by Obama) is 'Massachusetts Republican'. But that is another topic for another day...

E90 325i - totaled 03/17/10 (R.I.P.)
E92 328i - took delivery 04/02/10
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha325i View Post
Amen Brother. you said it perfectly..."stuff" being said. That is the majority of the problem. "Stuff" is being said, or jiberish if you will. We have been hearing the same "stuff" for well over a year now and the only positive thing I can remember being said (not by Obama) is 'Massachusetts Republican'. But that is another topic for another day...
Haha, and all the skeptics only thought they'd only hear that if hell froze over.
      02-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #9
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 2010 e70 X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha325i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
Haha, and all the skeptics only thought they'd only hear that if hell froze over.

Have you seen Mel Gibson's new movie, "Edge of Darkness"? Not a bad flick actually, but can you guess the party of the corrupt Massachusetts Senator? Yep, he was a Republican in the movie! Of course, this was shot well before Scott Brown won the election. Considering Mass hasn't had a Republican Senator since 1979, I find it very interesting that Hollywood made the bad guy a Republican. Wait, what am I saying? Of course Hollywood would make the bad guy politician a Republican!

ZAP | ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZTP | 322 | 328 | 330 | 386 | 4AZ | 4UB | 655 | 6FL | 6NF
2008 Ducati 1098S Red naturally....
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Have you seen Mel Gibson's new movie, "Edge of Darkness"? Not a bad flick actually, but can you guess the party of the corrupt Massachusetts Senator? Yep, he was a Republican in the movie! Of course, this was shot well before Scott Brown won the election. Considering Mass hasn't had a Republican Senator since 1979, I find it very interesting that Hollywood made the bad guy a Republican. Wait, what am I saying? Of course Hollywood would make the bad guy politician a Republican!

That movie kicked ass. They made him a bad Republican because everyone knows there's no such thing as a bad Democrat
      02-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post

He was a democrat in the film FIRST. When it tested, one of the notes from the test audience was that it wasn't believable that he was a Dem. So it was changed because the test audience actually ASKED for it. And mind you, this was a test audience in a conservative part of SoCal.

And oh yeah, also OP, you are nit-picking on his pronunciation of Corpsman. Were also as outraged when President Bush used the word Nuke-you-ler?
      02-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #12
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post

And oh yeah, also OP, you are nit-picking on his pronunciation of Corpsman. Were also as outraged when President Bush used the word Nuke-you-ler?

http://www.slate.com/id/2071155/

I'd venture a guess that mispronouncing nuclear and corpsman (while speaking to the corps) is a bit different.

One big difference is that Bush was castrated (much of his inadequacies were pegged to his inability to pronounce certain words correctly) for mispronouncing words. But, as is politics, your side mispronounces something, you defend it to the bitter end.

Of course, it really doesn't MATTER in the long run how he pronounces corpsman, but the way that Bush was torn apart for similar mispronunciations brings this one to light for sure.
      02-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
As I asked in the original post, "If Bush was a dunce for mispronouncing "nuclear" what does this say about Obama?"

So, if you thought Bush was a dunce for mispronouncing "nuclear" do you think the same for Obama given this?

I was also under the impression that Bush's mispronunciation of 'nuclear' was the result of a speech impediment rather than a lack of familiarity with the word. That the commander in chief and his staff are unfamiliar with this basic military term is what outrages me.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
whathappened
Banned
Rep

Drives: yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
That the commander in chief and his staff are unfamiliar with this basic military term is what outrages me.
You mean like mispronouncing a basic military term like "nuclear"?

As in nuclear weapons, nuclear disarmament, nuclear mutually assured destruction? As in one of the most critical single military devices ever created by man? Used only twice in war by the United States, to end the one of the largest military conflicts in history?

That military term?

If familiarity of a commander in chief with the pronunciation of a military term is your measuring stick, I would say it is Bush that comes out the loser by far.

Personally, I think Obama has to take his medicine on this one, and fix how he pronounces it. But if you are going to try to hype it for political gain, you've got to do better than to imply that "corpsman" is a more important term for a Commander in Chief to know than "nuclear".
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whathappened View Post
You mean like mispronouncing a basic military term like "nuclear"?

As in nuclear weapons, nuclear disarmament, nuclear mutually assured destruction? As in one of the most critical single military devices ever created by man? Used only twice in war by the United States, to end the one of the largest military conflicts in history?

That military term?

If familiarity of a commander in chief with the pronunciation of a military term is your measuring stick, I would say it is Bush that comes out the loser by far.

Personally, I think Obama has to take his medicine on this one, and fix how he pronounces it. But if you are going to try to hype it for political gain, you've got to do better than to imply that "corpsman" is a more important term for a Commander in Chief to know than "nuclear".
Did you miss the part where I explained that I was under the impression that Bush's mispronunciation was the result of a speech impediment rather than an unfamiliarity with the word? If my assumption is incorrect then the same criticism applies.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 05:56 PM   #16
whathappened
Banned
Rep

Drives: yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
Did you miss the part where I explained that I was under the impression that Bush's mispronunciation was the result of a speech impediment rather than an unfamiliarity with the word? If my assumption is incorrect then the same criticism applies.
I didn't miss the speech impediment excuse, but I didn't give it any credibility either. It's just another excuse.

The man did a LOT of speaking, and he was perfectly able to say all of the root guttural sounds in "nuclear" (like "nuke" and "clear"). On top of that, the pronunciation Bush used was a common mispronunciation of the word. It is a common mistake that many people make who have no speech impediment at all. Nor is there any recognized speech impediments (like apraxia or phonetic disorder) that would explain his mispronunciation of this single word, when this word is commonly learned incorrectly. It is much more likely that he learned to say it wrong, because saying it that way is a mistake common to the region he grew up in. It is highly unlikely for Bush to have some new physiological condition never documented before by any speech pathologist that appears only in this one word.

Unless you have something to support you ASSumption about an actual impediment, I'll just accept your position from your last post that you are "outraged" by ex-Commander-in-Chief Bush not knowing how to pronounce the military term "nuclear"....

Last edited by whathappened; 02-10-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #17
Kroy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90

This reminds me of the episode of Office I watched last night where everyone mispronouces the word "Sabre" as "sob-ray"

I think mispronouncing corpsman is worse than Bush' nuclear... At least with Bush it was funny; I laughed. With Obama, I find it a bit ridiculous he can't pronouce it right. Fact was Obama said "corpsman;" I'm not sure how Bush' inadequecies make it any better or worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #18
ideliver
Major
Rep

Drives: 08 E60 M5 & 08 Infiniti QX56

Garage List
2006 MB S430 SOLD  [0.00]
2003 E46 M3  [0.00]
the real story is that he has has not been corrected by his staff...
Cars I've owned '76 Chevelle 350 RIP '82 Monte Carlo 350 RIP '82 Mustang 302 RIP '88 Honda CRX RIP '88 Olds Toronado sold '94 Toyota Tercel sold '99 Acura TL sold 2002 Porsche 911 sold 2003 E46 M3 Blk/gr 2006 MB S430 sold Current: 2008 Infiniti QX56 & 2008 E60 M5

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #19
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep

Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
nucular is funny
but calling a marine a corpse.. I dont know man.. that doesn't sit right with me...

My brother was supposed to be at the breakfast, but his flight got grounded due to a storm
      02-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #20
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whathappened View Post
I didn't miss the speech impediment excuse, but I didn't give it any credibility either. It's just another excuse.

The man did a LOT of speaking, and he was perfectly able to say all of the root guttural sounds in "nuclear" (like "nuke" and "clear"). On top of that, the pronunciation Bush used was a common mispronunciation of the word. It is a common mistake that many people make who have no speech impediment at all. Nor is there any recognized speech impediments (like apraxia or phonetic disorder) that would explain his mispronunciation of this single word, when this word is commonly learned incorrectly. It is much more likely that he learned to say it wrong, because saying it that way is a mistake common to the region he grew up in. It is highly unlikely for Bush to have some new physiological condition never documented before by any speech pathologist that appears only in this one word.

Unless you have something to support you ASSumption about an actual impediment, I'll just accept your position from your last post that you are "outraged" by ex-Commander-in-Chief Bush not knowing how to pronounce the military term "nuclear"....

If, for the sake of argument I accept your claim that Bush's mispronunciation of nuclear is more likely based on his learning to pronounce it incorrectly or simply a reflection of a regional dialect, we are still left with the fact that it is NOT the result of an unfamiliarity with the word. It also still leaves us with the fact that Obama's continuous mispronunciation of corpsman is.

The outrage is still properly directed only at Obama and his staff.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #21
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
I dunno, I find it quite sad when my Commander in Chief cannot correctly pronounce one of the most important elements of the Department of the Navy. This guy is supposed to represent the United States of America, and he cannot even correctly pronounce the name of something that belongs to his military. Oh well, what can ya do?

As a corpsman myself, I think you may be idealizing our importance to some extent (actually I notice a lot of other corpsmen do this, too - they seem sort of brainwashed to me). Sure, medics of all stripes are indispensable, but to expect the POTUS to know anything about corpsmen (anything at all) - well, that's just wishful thinking. Let's face it, we're small potatoes and just don't get recognized at that level.
Everyone makes mistakes and has peculiarities of speech. I thought people made too big a deal about Bush's slip ups and I think the same thing now. That said, I'm a bit aghast that someone on his staff hasn't noticed and corrected his mistake by now.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 11:00 AM   #22
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
As a corpsman myself, I think you may be idealizing our importance to some extent (actually I notice a lot of other corpsmen do this, too - they seem sort of brainwashed to me). Sure, medics of all stripes are indispensable, but to expect the POTUS to know anything about corpsmen (anything at all) - well, that's just wishful thinking. Let's face it, we're small potatoes and just don't get recognized at that level.
Everyone makes mistakes and has peculiarities of speech. I thought people made too big a deal about Bush's slip ups and I think the same thing now. That said, I'm a bit aghast that someone on his staff hasn't noticed and corrected his mistake by now.
You green or blue?