BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southeast

ESS Tuning

03-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Money2536
Major
United_States

Drives: ' 15 M3 | '14 GT3

Looking for Sales Guy in Orlando Area

I have been lurking around looking for for a few months. I've settled on buying an E90 2009+. I want a new one, but the wife will probably determine new or used depending on the price tag (she's not aware of the sticker for a new one...yet). I'm hoping to get her to the dealership with me during a test drive. I can be pretty convincing.

I've decided this is the car I'm going to buy despite the fact that I have never driven one. I booked an appointment with the local dealer on www.bmwusa.com about a month ago to drive a 335i. There is no option to select an M3 for a test drive. Once I received the call-back from the dealer, I made my intentions clear. "I want to drive a 335i manual and an M3 manual." The girl said she needed to check, puts me on hold, and then replied, "Not a problem, we'll have them ready for you." So I drive to the dealer, and the sales manager comes out to shake my hand. He grabs the first sales guy that walks by and makes the introduction. It was as if they weren't expecting me despite two appointment confirmation calls. Anyway, the sales guy and I start talking, and I explain the reason for my visit. He proceeds to tell me they don't have a manual 335i and they don't have an M3 other than the one in the show room with DCT that they just washed, and it wouldn't be available for me to test drive. He then proceeds to start asking me why in the world I would want a manual when a sport auto is far superior. I have a fault of being super nice and didn't make my extreme dissatisfaction known. I just asked if there was something I could drive since I came all the way over there. I ended up driving a 335i auto, which helps me zero. I indulged the guy and ended up leaving after finding out that most BMW sales guys know very little about the products they are selling no matter how long they have been with the company.

I made a specific trip by the other dealership that is owned by the same people. They had two used coupes on the lot. There was a slight drizzle and the sales guy proceeds to tell me that they don't test drive M cars in the rain. I again am too nice to raise a stink, so I gave him my car and asked him to call when he thought there was a better time. Of course, he never called, even though I would call me back after seeing the line of business that I'm in. I've been in retail sales, so I have a warm spot for sales guys. I just don't understand these guys.

So, I decided that maybe it's just those two dealerships the suck. Currently, I'm sure these guys are struggling to sell cars, so I don't understand why my phone is not wringing off the hook from these guys trying to sell a car.

I made a call this morning to another dealer that is outside of town the owns two dealerships. I thought I'd try another tactic. I asked the receptionist if I could possibly speak to whom she thought was an enthusiast and is someone she thinks has the most BMW knowledge. She thought I was speaking a foreign language. She puts me on hold and then a guy picks up. I start explaining I would like to test drive a manual M3 and possibly a manual 335i. He then states that they only have a '08 SMG coupe on the lot. I said, "You mean DCT right?" He didn't respond. I know I'm nit picking here, but come on! I thanked him for his time and hung up.

I GIVE UP!!!

I already know just about all I need to know about the car, but I really hate lazy sales people that don't take the time to learn the details about the product they are selling. How can you not know every single detail about the 10 models you are selling? It's not hard. I don't want to teach them about the product. I don't need to be sold, but I also don't want to give my business to the typical idiot. I know I sound demanding here, but other than the test drive I haven't spent more than 5 minutes of their time.

Can someone help me find someone that is an enthusiast that knows the product he is selling and isn't going to BS his way through a conversation within 250 miles of Orlando?

Thanks

Last edited by Money2536; 03-18-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
M3Gator
Private
United_States

Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money2536 View Post
I have been lurking around looking for for a few months. I've settled on buying an E90 2009+. I want a new one, but the wife will probably determine new or used depending on the price tag (she's not aware of the sticker for a new one...yet). I'm hoping to get her to the dealership with me during a test drive. I can be pretty convincing.

I've decided this is the car I'm going to buy despite the fact that I have never driven one. I booked an appointment with the local dealer on www.bmwusa.com about a month ago to drive a 335i. There is no option to select an M3 for a test drive. Once I received the call-back from the dealer, I made my intentions clear. "I want to drive a 335i manual and an M3 manual." The girl said she needed to check, puts me on hold, and then replied, "Not a problem, we'll have them ready for you." So I drive to the dealer, and the sales manager comes out to shake my hand. He grabs the first sales guy that walks by and makes the introduction. It was as if they weren't expecting me despite two appointment confirmation calls. Anyway, the sales guy and I start talking, and I explain the reason for my visit. He proceeds to tell me they don't have a manual 335i and they don't have an M3 other than the one in the show room with DCT that they just washed, and it wouldn't be available for me to test drive. He then proceeds to start asking me why in the world I would want a manual when a sport auto is far superior. I have a fault of being super nice and didn't make my extreme dissatisfaction known. I just asked if there was something I could drive since I came all the way over there. I ended up driving a 335i auto, which helps me zero. I indulged the guy and ended up leaving after finding out that most BMW sales guys know very little about the products they are selling no matter how long they have been with the company.

I made a specific trip by the other dealership that is owned by the same people. They had two used coupes on the lot. There was a slight drizzle and the sales guy proceeds to tell me that they don't test drive M cars in the rain. I again am too nice to raise a stink, so I gave him my car and asked him to call when he thought there was a better time. Of course, he never called, even though I would call me back after seeing the line of business that I'm in. I've been in retail sales, so I have a warm spot for sales guys. I just don't understand these guys.

So, I decided that maybe it's just those two dealerships the suck. Currently, I'm sure these guys are struggling to sell cars, so I don't understand why my phone is not wringing off the hook from these guys trying to sell a car.

I made a call this morning to another dealer that is outside of town the owns two dealerships. I thought I'd try another tactic. I asked the receptionist if I could possibly speak to whom she thought was an enthusiast and is someone she thinks has the most BMW knowledge. She thought I was speaking a foreign language. She puts me on hold and then a guy picks up. I start explaining I would like to test drive a manual M3 and possibly a manual 335i. He then states that they only have a '08 SMG coupe on the lot. I said, "You mean DCT right?" He didn't respond. I know I'm nit picking here, but come on! I thanked him for his time and hung up.

I GIVE UP!!!

I already know just about all I need to know about the car, but I really hate lazy sales people that don't take the time to learn the details about the product they are selling. How can you not know every single detail about the 10 models you are selling? It's not hard. I don't want to teach them about the product. I don't need to be sold, but I also don't want to give my business to the typical idiot. I know I sound demanding here, but other than the test drive I haven't spent more than 5 minutes of their time.

Can someone help me find someone that is an enthusiast that knows the product he is selling and isn't going to BS his way through a conversation within 250 miles of Orlando?

Thanks
Money,

I live in Winter Park and bought an E92 M3 about a year ago from Field's Winter Park. I knew one of the sales guys from when he worked at Lexus years earlier and sold me a GX 470. I went with a friend to test drive the Lexus ISF and hopefully an M3 in the same day about 6 months prior to ordering my '09 M3. I knew I'd be buying a car in the next year and thought it might be one of these two. Went to Lexus and test drove their only ISF on the lot. When we got to BMW, they were busy(Saturday afternoon) and my guy, Hugh, threw me some keys to a 335 coupe manual and told us to go have some fun and come back in 30 min when he could talk. We got back and noticed they had one M3 on the lot. He said it was their first and only one('08) and we had to be ready to run paperwork to test drive it. We persisted to drive it, and he went in and told sales manager he had sold me a $65k Lexus a couple of yrs prior, and the SM agreed. It was a manual(DCT not out yet). The 335 was fun. The M3 was AMAZING. The sales guy had to ride with us in the M, but he didn't care about the Break In period. We drove it like we stole it(which is why I ordered my car). I knew right then which car I was getting. 6 months later(on my birthday), I walked in there and ordered my car and gave myself THE best birthday present. My Sales Guy(Hugh) is now a friend of mine. He is not probably by your definition an enthusiast, but he is pretty knowledgable about the cars he sells. I always know that when I shop for a new car, I always know much more than the sales guys because I do my homework. If you didn't already talk to Hugh when you were there, call him first and tell him what you want to drive and a time to set it up. He's a great guy and will take care of you. If you like the Gators, even better. Good Luck. Hope you can call an M3 your own soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
A1 RDL
www.ryandalziel.com
United_States

Drives: 2009 JB E92 M3

Jerry at Fields is a good sales guy. Tell him you know Ryan Dalziel and I can guarantee he will look after you. He is a big car freak himself with a modded 650i so he knows his stuff very well.

FYI - Service manager is Rob Hines, a good friend. Again if you purchase only ever deal with him and mention my name. They will take care of you.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 12:19 AM   #4
ianbiz
4th E90
United_States

Drives: German

Send a message via AIM to ianbiz
If you are insistent on going to Fields the only guy i can easily vouch for is Rob and Brian Manihein (sp?), Brian is an enthusiast and even did a charity event or 2 with us (i wasnt there). He just got into a 335 Msport, very knowledgeable when it comes to the stuff we like
Id ask him who to talk to about test driving a car, im sure he wont BS you around.

If you want to make the drive out to tampa, our sales guy out there is Orandy (you can call him randy, but most know him by Orandy), we bought 3 cars from him in the last 13months, and is a very nice and fairly straight up guy. Doesn't know all the technical stuff like a true enthusiast, but its nice not to be BS'd about it too. If you are heading out there, i would also send Chino (1Clean335i) a PM and let him know youre coming, he might be able to work something up for you too. Reeves had a TON of CPO'd 335s while we were there, which was a bit of a problem for me..
      03-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
Money2536
Major
United_States

Drives: ' 15 M3 | '14 GT3

Thanks for all the help!
Appreciate 0