BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source

03-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Pitkis
Second Lieutenant

Drives: i8 2014

New M3 GTS information

Some bits of info, for you who have been waiting for...

- In total 125 M3 GTS will be built
- Distribution: 45 Europe, 80 ROW
- Cars will be built in two series: first at the end of this year and second one early 2011
- Press roll-out "summer 2010", perhaps 6/2010 I suppose?
- Specification still to be confirmed
- High number of customers have ordered GTS, much higher than number of cars in building program. Deliveries yet to be confirmed to final customers.

Source: BMW

Last edited by Pitkis; 03-05-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Pitkis is offline   Finland
      03-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Levi
Brigadier General

Drives: Alfa Romeo

Only 125? Come on BMW, yet 175 more.....
Levi is offline   Germany
      03-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Pitkis
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Only 125? Come on BMW, yet 175 more.....
It really seems that they are building far too few cars...what I have heard & estimated, there should be orders set for 300-400 cars already...only third of them will be built :-(
      03-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Polarcharger
Private

Drives: E36, E46, & E90 M3

Strong interest partially results from a BMW commitment to limit production (some were told only 100 would be built). BMW could sell many more, but would disenfranchise their strongest supporters - those who committed early.
      03-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Pitkis
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarcharger View Post
Strong interest partially results from a BMW commitment to limit production (some were told only 100 would be built). BMW could sell many more, but would disenfranchise their strongest supporters - those who committed early.
True, but they could have announce "limited production" without exact number at first phase...then pull out slightly less cars than ordered, say 450 GTSs, without marketing problems.

The local importer gave me 3 days to set order - and no confirmation whether to get GTS actually or not. My friend ordered, but there's no production confirmation of his car available yet.
      03-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
rzm3

Drives: E92 M3

Some parts of the GTS are built in the M workshop by hand, so it is also limited by workshop capacity.
      03-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
MrLOL
Private First Class

Drives: An M3... one day !

this is why BMW wasnt wishing to homologate the car for the US.

It would maybe only got 30 cars, and the costs in homologating the car just wouldnt be recouped on 30 cars, not without a silly price tag. The GTS is already 911 GT3 money, making it even more expensive would be silly.

Die hards will say "do it anyway, its worth it no matter how much it costs", but the number of people saying "are BMW joking, how much for an M3?" would far outweigh them.
MrLOL is offline   United Kingdom
      03-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
a1reader
Evolve tuned...

Drives: E93 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
Some parts of the GTS are built in the M workshop by hand, so it is also limited by workshop capacity.
Still 125 is a very small number. AMG engines are supposed to be built "by hand" and they make thousands of them
a1reader is offline   United Kingdom
      03-15-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLOL View Post
this is why BMW wasnt wishing to homologate the car for the US.

It would maybe only got 30 cars, and the costs in homologating the car just wouldnt be recouped on 30 cars, not without a silly price tag. The GTS is already 911 GT3 money, making it even more expensive would be silly.

Die hards will say "do it anyway, its worth it no matter how much it costs", but the number of people saying "are BMW joking, how much for an M3?" would far outweigh them.
I've wondered about homologation of the car, and what you say makes sense. There are obviously enough people in North America who are willing to pay for this unique car just to have a pleasure of ownership and hope for its appreciation - they will never race it. BTW, it is interesting to see the pumpkin color again.
      03-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
Remonster
Captain

Drives: M3 6MT VT2-625 - 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1reader View Post
Still 125 is a very small number. AMG engines are supposed to be built "by hand" and they make thousands of them
AMG engines are all built by hand, I've seen their factory the engines are entirely assembled by one man. The key word here being assembled versus the parts which are supposedly "made" by hand on the GTS, I have no idea what parts those are but they may require a lot more time then assembling an engine which only takes a few hours.

Also AMG and M are two totally different entities, just because one factory can pump out thousands of engines does not mean another will necessarily be able to make 3-400 GTSs.
Remonster is offline   United_States
      03-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
vladberca
Brigadier General

Drives: '09 jetta tsi 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLOL View Post
The GTS is already 911 GT3 money, making it even more expensive would be silly.

GTS is designed for traks and not for daily driving... I'm sure that will be superior to GT3! Due to this reason the price is in concordance with its performances...
vladberca is offline   Romania
      03-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #12
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 BMW M3

I am guilty of really hoping this car will go on Top Gear!!
      03-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #13
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

... they have learned from their mistake of building too many '08 M3
      03-16-2010, 01:09 AM   #14
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General

Drives: metrocard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
AMG engines are all built by hand, I've seen their factory the engines are entirely assembled by one man. The key word here being assembled versus the parts which are supposedly "made" by hand on the GTS, I have no idea what parts those are but they may require a lot more time then assembling an engine which only takes a few hours.

Also AMG and M are two totally different entities, just because one factory can pump out thousands of engines does not mean another will necessarily be able to make 3-400 GTSs.
lol try again
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
      03-16-2010, 03:39 AM   #15
M3EST
Rear wheel drive fanatic

Drives: M3 E30-1M-M4

Garage List
1987 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
We need to see more.
      03-16-2010, 04:06 AM   #16
footie
Major General

Drives: ????????????

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
The numbers are about right for the extremely high price asked. Yes the demand is far greater than supply but this is required to maintain a high value beyond the initial sale, BMW learned the hard way with it's failed CSL programme.

With only 125 cars worldwide these cars should maintain desrieability and in turn most of their value which is a good thing.
footie is offline   No_Country
      03-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #17
ebeem
First Lieutenant

Drives: E93 335i M - Paket

This is an interview with Thomas Schemera,Head of Distribution and Marketing of the M GmbH

it says deliveries are going to take place this summer
no words about specific production numbers...so I guess they`ll decide upon that as soon as they have provided the serious inquiries with specific information on the car and its performance and receive feedback
Quote:
9. März 10

Bereits im November 2009 haben wir in der MPW erste Informationen zum BMW M3 GTS Konzeptfahrzeug veröffentlicht. Seitdem kamen viele Fragen auf, die sicherlich noch nicht in der gewünschten Art und Weise beantwortet werden konnten. Zeit also, bei Thomas Schemera, Leiter Vertrieb und Marketing der BMW M GmbH, nachzufragen.

Thomas Schemera, Leiter Vertrieb und Marketing BMW M GmbH.

MPW: Herr Schemera, wie bekommen Interessenten denn weitere Informationen zum BMW M3 GTS?

Schemera: Interessenten sollten ihren BMW Handelsbetrieb besuchen. Wir haben sichergestellt, dass nunmehr BMW Vertragshändler und BMW Niederlassungen über die erforderlichen Informationen verfügen, um Kundenfragen beantworten zu können. Wir müssen hier aber noch einmal darauf hinweisen, dass aufgrund der sehr eingeschränkten Stückzahl nicht jeder Handelsbetrieb bzw. Niederlassung einen BMW M3 GTS verkaufen können wird.

MPW: Das hat aber erstaunlich lange gedauert. Woran lag das?

Schemera: Der BMW M3 GTS ist - wie bereits bekannt - ein Manufaktur-Fahrzeug, das heißt, das Fahrzeug wird hier in Garching bei der BMW M GmbH komplettiert und aufgebaut. Ein derartig individuelles Automobil, das zugleich in einer Kleinstserie hergestellt wird, ist auch für uns ein neuer Weg. Deshalb gab es auch in Bezug auf den Vertrieb einige Details zu klären. Wir haben hier zum großen Teil Neuland betreten und brauchten schlichtweg die Zeit, um alle offenen Fragestellungen zu klären. Und wir sind hier auch zum Teil noch nicht am Ende der Klärung.

MPW: Hat also in diesem Fall die Entwicklung etwa den Vertrieb überholt?

Schemera: So lässt sich die Situation nicht beschreiben. Alle Fachbereiche, also auch die Produktion und beispielsweise auch der Einkauf, haben hier in bisher nicht gesehener Zeit ein neues BMW M Automobil auf die Straße und bald auch zu den Kunden gebracht. Man darf nicht vergessen: Von Projektstart bis zur ersten Auslieferung wird weniger als ein Jahr vergangen sein. Uns war hierbei wichtig, unsere potenziellen Kunden möglichst früh über unsere neuen Absichten zu informieren. Dabei sind wir bewusst das Risiko eingegangen, noch nicht die Antwort auf jedes Detail zu haben, sowohl in der Entwicklung, in der Produktion als auch im Vertrieb.

Thomas Schemera mit Valentino Rossi (links), MotoGP Weltmeister 2009.

MPW: War dann die erste Vorstellung im November 2009 also nicht zu früh?

Schemera: Wann wurden Sie das letzte Mal von einem neuen Automobil überrascht? Waren Sie nicht vom BMW M3 GTS begeistert? Das unglaubliche Engagement des BMW M Teams und - wenn man so will - der M Spirit haben erst dieses Projekt möglich gemacht. Ein Projekt, das zudem auf Kundenanfrage hin zustande kam. Die Reaktionen der Presse, im Internet und vor allem der Interessenten bei unseren Closed Room Veranstaltungen haben gezeigt, dass wir mit dem BMW M3 GTS den Nerv unserer Kunden und Fans getroffen haben. Die erste öffentliche Präsentation im Rahmen der MotoGP, die wir übrigens seit über 10 Jahren sponsern, drängte sich regelrecht auf: ein besonders emotionales Automobil in einem besonders emotionalem Umfeld. Wollten wir warten, bis wir vollumfänglich alle Daten und Fakten zum Fahrzeug haben, müssten wir noch weitere Monate warten, was sicher die schlechtere Lösung wäre.

MPW: Wie geht es jetzt weiter?

Schemera: Wie bereits erwähnt ist die BMW Handelsorganisation ab sofort aussage- und handlungsfähig. Interessenten können also dort erfahren, ob und zu welchen Konditionen ein BMW M3 GTS geliefert werden kann. Die unverbindliche Preisempfehlung liegt in Deutschland bei € 136.850,- inklusive Mehrwertsteuer mit Auslieferung bei BMW M in Garching. Ausserdem kann auf Wunsch kostenfrei eine Klimaautomatik und Radio verbaut werden. Die Auslieferungen beginnen voraussichtlich im Sommer 2010.

MPW: Was bekommen die Kunden dafür?

Schemera: Sicher den schärfsten straßenzugelassenen BMW M3 aller Zeiten. Die genauen Spezifikationen und technischen Daten werden wir nach der Homologation veröffentlichen. Dafür brauchen wir aber noch etwas Zeit. Die BMW Vertragshändler und BMW Niederlassungen verfügen über erste Eckwerte, auch die hier in der MPW genannten Details sind gute Anhaltspunkte. Da aufgrund des Fahrzeugaufbaus in der Manufaktur unsere Kapazitäten sehr begrenzt sind, kann der BMW M3 GTS schon jetzt als begehrtes Sammlerstück gelten.

MPW: Also ist doch der Vertrieb schneller als die Entwicklung.

Schemera: Wenn man so will (lacht). Aber ernsthaft: Es geht nicht darum, wer schneller ist. Wir haben bei diesem innovativen Projekt aus guten Gründen die gewohnten Standardwege verlassen. Wir haben also mit einem klaren Bekenntnis für dieses Projekt begonnen und uns dann daran gemacht, konsequent die offenen Themen zu klären. Dass die offiziellen technischen Daten erst kurz vor Auslieferung feststehen, darf vor dem Hintergrund der gebotenen Terminschiene nicht verwundern. Die enorme Nachfrage nach dem BMW M3 GTS zeigt, dass unsere Kunden sehr wohl einschätzen können, welches Potenzial der BMW M3 GTS hat.

MPW: Was können Sie uns heute noch zum BMW M3 GTS verraten?

Schemera: Jedes Fahrzeug wird eine Plakette mit der laufenden Produktionsnummer erhalten. Das unterstreicht nochmals den exklusiven Charakter des BMW M3 GTS. Und wir setzen alles daran, dass der BMW M3 GTS keine Eintagsfliege wird. Hier ist uns die Erwartungshaltung unserer Kunden sehr wohl bewusst.

MPW: Herr Schemera, wir danken für das Gespräch
ebeem is offline   Germany
      03-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
The numbers are about right for the extremely high price asked. Yes the demand is far greater than supply but this is required to maintain a high value beyond the initial sale, BMW learned the hard way with it's failed CSL programme.

With only 125 cars worldwide these cars should maintain desrieability and in turn most of their value which is a good thing.
failed with the CSL? You mean the E46 M3 CSL? This car is an icon and the prices currently asked for them are insane! (prices going up)

Anyway, these cars should not be collected (put covered in a garage) they should be driven. It would be too bad if you would never see them on the streets. I guess I will see several of them, at least on the Nurburgring in Germany
      03-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #19
southlight
Moderator / European Editor

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post
failed with the CSL? You mean the E46 M3 CSL? This car is an icon and the prices currently asked for them are insane! (prices going up)
The CSL didn't sell that well back then. If I remember correctly, UK dealers had quite some troubles selling their quota.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
      03-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #20
Levi
Brigadier General

Drives: Alfa Romeo

What is the use of such a car. It is done to be driven and not to be kept in the garage. And what about half of the M3 GTS that will get crashed on Ring?
Levi is offline   Germany
      03-16-2010, 06:21 PM   #21
footie
Major General

Drives: ????????????

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel b View Post

Anyway, these cars should not be collected (put covered in a garage) they should be driven. It would be too bad if you would never see them on the streets. I guess I will see several of them, at least on the Nurburgring in Germany
They may well be commanding insane value now but as South informed you at their launch they didn't sell as expected, this wasn't anything to do with the product itself as by all accounts it was brilliant but they over estimated the demand. Luckily this won't be a problem this time and as such these products will command more of their value than the equivalent Porsche GT3, surely a first for a BMW.
footie is offline   No_Country
      03-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #22
GnokGnik
Captain

Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

The CSL wasn't really practical either or cheap.

Come to think of it, ///M practicality set it apart from those low-weight sports cars without 4 seats, without comforts etc...that is why it was so popular.

You had a practical 4 seater sedan/coupe in the M3 that would match sport car fun and excitement... The CSL (however good it was) was not in the same spirit.