BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

INDustry distribution

03-06-2010, 11:35 AM   #23
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick151 View Post
Fupa92

I did not notice my steering stiffen up at all. It feels the same like it did from day one. This would happen if the pulley is under driving more.
Does that mean that the Dinan pulley isn't as aggressively under driven as other brands?
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #24
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

+1 what's the diameter of the dinan pulley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
Does that mean that the Dinan pulley isn't as aggressively under driven as other brands?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #25
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

Thanks for the review H Bomb

This might sound weird - I did a pulley search on this form couple months back and read someone had said their fans were coming on more frequently after the pulley install. (Whether their was any true relation between the two was never confirmed, just observed) Can't remember which pulley, I know it wasn't Dinan. Have you experienced anything like this?

Congrats again on your pulley, looks like a solid mod. Think I'll be there soon. Like you said though, D-Midpipe is where the powa is really at
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #26
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: 08 M3

haven't noticed that but i will add it to my list of things to check to see if any difference

i am about to go out for a nice drive now so i will report back a little later about that and the steering issue too

yeah the midpipe was my wow mod so far since i can afford a SC or Stroker motor lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bimmer View Post
Thanks for the review H Bomb

This might sound weird - I did a pulley search on this form couple months back and read someone had said their fans were coming on more frequently after the pulley install. (Whether their was any true relation between the two was never confirmed, just observed) Can't remember which pulley, I know it wasn't Dinan. Have you experienced anything like this?

Congrats again on your pulley, looks like a solid mod. Think I'll be there soon. Like you said though, D-Midpipe is where the powa is really at
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #27
Alex@Alpine
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Send a message via AIM to Alex@Alpine
Very nice review
      03-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #28
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

ok just got back. for testing there is this nice 4 mile loop that cuts through a mountain not to far away, kinda reminds me of a pikes peak run bc the way down is downhill and way back is uphill but there is alot of sharp hair pin turns and alot of sweeper turns so it is really good for testing mods. i have tested each mod i did on this run and i do several runs so i can see how it affected the car

i also went to a parking lot and did alot of parallel parking and sharp slow 1-2mph turning radius stuff to test steering etc

well for the caynon run, i didn't notice any extra steering input. i did however feel it in other areas of the rpm range with this type of driving and i think so far this style of driving i have enjoyed the pulley the most. as for any fan issues or heating issues after each run there and back i stopped and pulled over and opened the hood and check the guages and nothing different then normal. now it was only 40 degrees out so i will have to do this again in the summer when it is really hot so to see if any of this changes

now for the parking lot and turning test. i didn't really notice it any stiffer and i did alot of these. now i never tested it before when stock so maybe the steering was looser then but if it is different then it is very slight and only the most sensitive would notice.

hope that helps answer some questions that were raised. any others feel free to let me know and i will make some more runs as i enjoy driving it lol

H
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #29
cpiguy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S

Garage List
H Bomb:

You're right on. I agree with everything you've said. Thanks for taking the time to write the review! I'm having my car dyno'd next week and I'll post actual results.

CPIGUY
2010 M3 Coupe,2011 458 Italia
2014 911 Turbo S, 2014 X5 3.5
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #30
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

Thanks for taking the time to do this H. We all appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #31
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

hey no problem i had a friggin blast tonight driving the mountain run. there is another spot about 20 miles away that if nice tom i might go to. if any of my friends are around i will take one so i can get some video

i just can't wait till spring so i can put back on summer tires and really get back to normal driving. with the blizzaks on you can only do so much as they are super soft and flex alot so the car is all over the place. in the snow though there great
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #32
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: Tamiya

What's the difference between a power pulley and these underdrive crankshaft pulley kits? Or are they basically the same? I was doing a search on Dinan pulley and found an article from Dinan about the dangers of power pulleys, which I'm sure all of you have read already. So it made me wonder if the power pulley that Dinan was talking about is different to the pulley kit that they, or other companies sell somehow.

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/technia...armonic-damper
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #33
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^^

i would just call Dinan and find out, on that note i am sure if it was bad for the car they would not have made one. and they must of did alot of R&D on this pulley as it was the last one to be released from all the companies that make pullies. just my opinion
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #34
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep

That's why I was wondering as to why they would sell the pulley kit if they are saying that (power) pulleys pose dangers for the car (if they are indeed the same thing). I just stumbled upon that article today when I searched for Dinan pulley in google and I thought that they weren't selling pulleys but they are. So I guess there's a difference somehow.

I'm actually trying to decide on which pulley kit to go with and was just wondering if they would void any warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #35
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep

Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorrig View Post
What's the difference between a power pulley and these underdrive crankshaft pulley kits? Or are they basically the same? I was doing a search on Dinan pulley and found an article from Dinan about the dangers of power pulleys, which I'm sure all of you have read already. So it made me wonder if the power pulley that Dinan was talking about is different to the pulley kit that they, or other companies sell somehow.

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/technic...armonic-damper
Power pulleys are not the same as a CRANK pulley.

A number of aftermarket companies build individual accessory pulleys, that will under drive certain engine components like the power steering pump, the water pump, or the alternator. These are called "Power Pulleys".

A crankshaft pulley is different, since it replaces your existing OEM crankshaft pulley, to under drive all the belt driven accessories bolted to the engine. (to reduce the parasitic drag losses)

Power pulleys may yield 2-3 hp improvement over stock, but an aggressively spec'd aftermarket under drive crankshaft pulley (16%) will yield 10+ hp under ideal conditions.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Also, I would like to clarify some things that Steve was talking about in that tech article...

In 2002-2003 when this article was written, the E36 & E46 M3's both used variants of the same 3.0-3.2 liter straight-six powerplants from the S50, S52, & S54 family of BMW Motorsport engines.

Now keep in mind, the state of the art "M" engine in those days was the S54B32 in the E46 M3.

That's an important detail...because the S54B32 uses a harmonic dampener to keep the engine vibrations in check. BMW straight-six Motorsport engines are very smooth and well balanced, but they require very precise crankshaft dampening to prevent damage at high rpms.

What Steve was talking about in this article, was the fact that if you remove the main CRANKSHAFT PULLEY (not the smaller individual accessory pulleys) you could potentially damage the engine bearings (or the engine crankshaft seal) over time, since the engine would no longer have that factory harmonic dampener protection in place.

The Dinan under drive pulley on the E92 M3 does not modify the factory harmonics or dampening capabilities, and it safely under drives the belt driven water pump, alternator, AC, and power steering pump, to reduce parasitic power losses on the M3 engine.

When Steve originally wrote that article, he was also railing against those modifications because several aftermarket companies were simply selling CNC'd under drive pulleys that were not perfectly balanced, nor did they retain the factory harmonic balancer. (which can lead to engine damage) There was little or no R&D done on most of these parts to ensure OEM-type fitment...that is crucial to safe, reliable performance.

These poorly engineered under drive crankshaft pulleys would lead to all the problems he explains in the article, and that's why Dinan never offered an under drive crank pulley of their own for the E36 M3 or E46 M3. (fact)

For the S85B50 V10 in the M5 & M6 and the S65B40 V8 in the E9x M3, Steve's engineering team talked him into it building a crankshaft pulley for these engines, after they were comfortable they could manufacture an OEM quality part for his clients (customers) that was perfectly safe.

You know, it really took me a long time to realize something...

On rare occasions, you have to make compromises when you are selling parts to the general public.

When you own a retail automotive parts business, you don't always get to pick and choose what parts you want to sell ...and parts you don't.

Let me explain...

If enough people within your loyal customer group (repeat customers) request that you build a particular part, then as a businessman it's really tough to say NO to them. It's not a good business move to deny a large percentage of your core customer demographic something when they really want it. So at the end of the day, you have to give in sometimes to keep your customers happy. That's called customer service folks.

It's not always easy to sit on your throne and say "I'll NEVER.........."

So I'm sure the Dinan haters will call him names (which they would do anyway), and I'm sure he realizes that criticism is coming...

Yes, his philosophy on this subject has changed a bit over the years, but that's actually a good thing. When presented with a way to do something he originally thought was just a bad idea, the man reconsidered his position on this issue...and made a course correction.

That's an admirable trait, and it takes guts to do something like that...especially when your KNOW people are going to criticize you for modifying your original position.

Anyway, that's the whole back story to the article on Dinan's website.
      03-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #36
Fupa92
Do you FUPA?
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Very detailed and philosophical elucidation my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post

A number of aftermarket companies build individual accessory pulleys, that will under drive certain engine components like the power steering pump, the water pump, or the alternator. These are called "Power Pulleys".

A crankshaft pulley is different, since it replaces your existing OEM crankshaft pulley, to under drive all the belt driven accessories bolted to the engine. (to reduce the parasitic drag losses)

Power pulleys may yield 2-3 hp improvement over stock, but an aggressively spec'd aftermarket under drive crankshaft pulley (16%) will yield 10+ hp under ideal conditions.

Also, I would like to clarify some things that Steve was talking about in that tech article...

In 2002-2003 when this article was written, the E36 & E46 M3's both used variants of the same 3.0-3.2 liter straight-six powerplants from the S50, S52, & S54 family of BMW Motorsport engines.

Now keep in mind, the state of the art "M" engine in those days was the S54B32 in the E46 M3.

That's an important detail...because the S54B32 uses a harmonic dampener to keep the engine vibrations in check. BMW straight-six Motorsport engines are very smooth and well balanced, but they require very precise crankshaft dampening to prevent damage at high rpms.

What Steve was talking about in this article, was the fact that if you remove the main CRANKSHAFT PULLEY (not the smaller individual accessory pulleys) you could potentially damage the engine bearings (or the engine crankshaft seal) over time, since the engine would no longer have that factory harmonic dampener protection in place.

The Dinan under drive pulley on the E92 M3 does not modify the factory harmonics or dampening capabilities, and it safely under drives the belt driven water pump, alternator, AC, and power steering pump, to reduce parasitic power losses on the M3 engine.

When Steve originally wrote that article, he was also railing against those modifications because several aftermarket companies were simply selling CNC'd under drive pulleys that were not perfectly balanced, nor did they retain the factory harmonic balancer. (which can lead to engine damage) There was little or no R&D done on most of these parts to ensure OEM-type fitment...that is crucial to safe, reliable performance.

These poorly engineered under drive crankshaft pulleys would lead to all the problems he explains in the article, and that's why Dinan never offered an under drive crank pulley of their own for the E36 M3 or E46 M3. (fact)

For the S85B50 V10 in the M5 & M6 and the S65B40 V8 in the E9x M3, Steve's engineering team talked him into it building a crankshaft pulley for these engines, after they were comfortable they could manufacture an OEM quality part for his clients (customers) that was perfectly safe.

On rare occasions, you have to make compromises when you are selling parts to the general public.

When you own a retail automotive parts business, you don't always get to pick and choose what parts you want to sell ...and parts you don't.

Let me explain...

If enough people within your loyal customer group (repeat customers) request that you build a particular part, then as a businessman it's really tough to say NO to them. It's not a good business move to deny a large percentage of your core customer demographic something when they really want it. So at the end of the day, you have to give in sometimes to keep your customers happy. That's called customer service folks.

So I'm sure the Dinan haters will call him names (which they would do anyway), and I'm sure he realizes that criticism is coming...

Yes, his philosophy on this subject has changed a bit over the years, but that's actually a good thing. When presented with a way to do something he originally thought was just a bad idea, the man reconsidered his position on this issue...and made a course correction.

That's an admirable trait, and it takes guts to do something like that...especially when your KNOW people are going to criticize you for modifying your original position.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #37
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2008 m3 coup

Can't beat the truth! Thanks Lemans blue M!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #38
armorrig
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for enlightening me Sir. You really know your stuff. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post

Let me explain...

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #39
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

damn Lemans that was better then calling Dinan lmao thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #40
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: 14 M5 CP

Thanks for the review. I ordered mine today!
(my local dealership is having Dinan 20% off sale!)

PAST: 11 E70 X5M | 08 E90 M3 | 08 E92 335i | 03.5 E46 M3 | 99 E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #41
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

LeMans, you are the go to guy for all tech info, thanks man!
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:26 AM   #42
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep

anyone know the belt sizes for the dinan crank pulley? MY08
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:30 AM   #43
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

ah shit i wish i would of known damit lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
Thanks for the review. I ordered mine today!
(my local dealership is having Dinan 20% off sale!)
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:33 AM   #44
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Reliable Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
ah shit i wish i would of known damit lol
lol, that's what I was thinking too when he put that up.
Appreciate 0