BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source

03-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 M3

Dinan Pulley Review

ok i know 90% of the board is anti Dinan but there were a few people waiting to hear about this and the other member was suppose to write a review but i guess he hasn't gotten around to it and the other member said he didn't put many miles on his so i will just write it

as of today i put about 400 miles on my car since i put the Dinan pulley on

i like the product alot. i will say however for me i feel it most above 6k in the rpm range. now not sure if the other mods i have on the car overwhelm it and that is why that is the only spot i feel it. but however when looking at there dyno charts that is where the pulley makes most of its power and peaking at redline so i am prob about right then of feeling it most above 6k

maybe a stock car with just a pulley would feel it in other areas, i have the midpipe and some other stuff so the midpipe really adds a nice amount of tq so that kinda overwhelms this pulley which only adds 7tq and 11hp

up top when pulling through the gears it just feels stronger as you pass 6k and adds a more punchy feeling to it. pulls harder and faster as well

i say if you are looking for power down low then look elsewhere as you would prob be not sastified with it then. but if you want some power up top then i def reccomend this as it added a nice punch up there for me

the quality and fit and finish of it was A+ as was there other products i have used so far. there was no issues with the install and it went very smooth

so here are my ratings in my own opinion. 1 being the worst 10 being best

fit and finish- 10
ease of install- 8
power- 8
overall score- 26 out of a possible 30

only reason i knocked 2 points off the power section was bc i didn't feel anything below 6k but that could be bc of my other mods and bc maybe the pulley was not designed to make the power down there

i have no problem reccomending this mod

however if you are looking for the most power for your money then i highly reccomend the Dinan Midpipe as this was what really made my car rip. i put that on and felt power increase everywhere in the rpm range and alot of it

maybe on a stock car this pulley would benifit the most or a car with just a tune etc. i think bc i have other mods it may take away from it some

H
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
United_States

Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3

Thx for the informative and honest review. Dinan is very close from where I live and it's quite tempting.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
Alekshop
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States

Drives: E30 M3 l E92 M3 l F82 M4

Send a message via Skype™ to Alekshop
Did you install it yourself or BMW dealer did it ?
      03-05-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States

Drives: E92 M3

H Bomb, to your comments about the power below 6K. I had my pulley put on yesterday and maybe it is just my combination of the Dinan intake and the pulley or your combination of mods but I feel some power down low. Not a whole lot but it defiantly pick up faster below the 6K. Overall very well worth it and now I love ripping my back tires apart!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States

Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Send a message via AIM to skoot3r
I haven't really drove my car since I got it on last week but I didn't feel much of anything. The car responded quicker when I would get on it but you won't feel 11hp. Also I can't write the review since I have only 100 or so miles with the pulley due to a nail in my rear tire
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #6
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoot3r View Post
I haven't really drove my car since I got it on last week but I didn't feel much of anything. The car responded quicker when I would get on it but you won't feel 11hp. Also I can't write the review since I have only 100 or so miles with the pulley due to a nail in my rear tire
skoot3r, You may not feel much because of what you have already done... Like you said you noticed that the car responded quicker and looking at what you have done that is about all that you will notice
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
OMID INC
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E70 X5

thank you for the review
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

i would say 2 reasons you may have not felt it, one you didn't drive it enough or hard enough as i felt it all above 6k and two you have the diff. that is one mod i don't have yet otherwise i have what you have. i think with the diff i would have felt it less then what i did

other then that i think it is great above 6k. you have to realize with as much power you have now 11hp and 7tq really isn't all that much so i was actually suprised i felt it as good as i did

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoot3r View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
MrHarris
yodog
United_States

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Weird. I got the rogue pulley installed and I felt a huge power increase throughout the rev range, but very noticeable in the low end with torque. The high end just feels like it pulls harder.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States

Drives: Reliable Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Weird. I got the rogue pulley installed and I felt a huge power increase throughout the rev range, but very noticeable in the low end with torque. The high end just feels like it pulls harder.
Kinda with J on this one. I just got my Rogue pulley on a few hours ago, and I felt most of the improvements down low. Dunno if it's any really significant ponies, but my car feels easier to drive in first and second, so I'll say at least a conservatively noticeable amount of low-end dork.

Last edited by LateBraking; 03-05-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:58 PM   #11
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States

Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

why would there be such a difference in feeling between the Dinan and Rogue? Aren't they pretty much the exact same thing?
      03-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States

Well, I'm trying to staying conservative in my claims, no crazy butt-dyno-huge-horsepower-gain claims from me. I just think it makes daily driving easier as of right now. But that's worth it to me, since the car is my daily driver.

Also, like H Bomb said, he has a aftermarket X-pipe, whereas I do not. That's probably where the difference in feel comes in. Smaller improvements on a car with less power mods are more pronounced.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
MrHarris
yodog
United_States

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Another huge plus for me, I noticed a constant .5-1mpg improvement.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 09:10 PM   #14
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Another huge plus for me, I noticed a constant .5-1mpg improvement.
That I did not notice in my whole 15 minutes of driving. Shame on me!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

Dinan shop did the install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekshop View Post
Did you install it yourself or BMW dealer did it ?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 10:21 PM   #16
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

yeah my midpipe added alot of power down low so that is why i think i don't feel it as much down low as i do up top thats all. as i said on a stock car they would prob feel it more through the rev range

well day 2 and i did another 100 miles and it actually feels better today. not sure if it is bc the belt stretched out some and seated itself better or what but it def felt a bit more powerful today and i noticed it down low for the first time also. not alot down low but more then yesterday

overall i am very happy with this mod. the actual fit and finish is really nice it is to bad you don't get to see it as they have the logo engraved and all. really cool looking. i should have snapped some pics while we were doing it

anyway back out to do a night drive later

H
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 10:49 PM   #17
Fupa92
Do you FUPA?

Great unbiased review!

Have you felt any drawbacks as of yet? Is the steering any harder or any electrical or cooling changes (even minuscule)? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

not that i noticed but then again i wasn't looking for it. i am always checking my guages but i will look for it this time and try to feel the steering more this time to answer you better

i didn't know that they steer harder or have cooling problems after a pulley, good info thank you

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fupa92 View Post
Great unbiased review!

Have you felt any drawbacks as of yet? Is the steering any harder or any electrical or cooling changes (even minuscule)? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #19
Fupa92
Do you FUPA?

H Bomb,

You're than man! Others (even EAS) have noted that steering became a little tighter after installing their Rogue pulley. Some like it while others don't see it as a problem, I just wanted to know if the Dinan pulley was similar. I like my steering the way it is, so I was hoping you to go off your honest reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
not that i noticed but then again i wasn't looking for it. i am always checking my guages but i will look for it this time and try to feel the steering more this time to answer you better

i didn't know that they steer harder or have cooling problems after a pulley, good info thank you

H
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #20
Fupa92
Do you FUPA?

There's no Dinan authorized dealers in Hawaii!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #21
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

yeah i will let you know for sure. i mean if it is then it can't be much bc i didn't notice yet and it has been 2 days and i have put on a good amount of miles and did slow speed turning like pulling in driveways etc

but i will pay more attention tom for sure and on all the guages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fupa92 View Post
H Bomb,

You're than man! Others (even EAS) have noted that steering became a little tighter after installing their Rogue pulley. Some like it while others don't see it as a problem, I just wanted to know if the Dinan pulley was similar. I like my steering the way it is, so I was hoping you to go off your honest reviews.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #22
Mavrick151
My M treats me right
United_States

Fupa92

I did not notice my steering stiffen up at all. It feels the same like it did from day one. This would happen if the pulley is under driving more.
Appreciate 0