BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #1
wrtbks
New Member
wrtbks's Avatar
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

2010 M3 OEM Alarm - Not Available?

Hey there everyone,

New to the Forum and day 3 with my Space Grey 2010 M3 Coupe. This is a weird one...when I bought the car it didn't have the OEM Alarm on it. I was told that the Service guys could install one. Then they came back and said that BMW only offers Alarms on pre-2009 M3's and that the 2010's are not pre-wired and too technical and electronic to install. I was told to get Lojack and call it a day. This is my 7th BMW and I have always had BMW integrated alarms...this one just doesn't make sense.

Has anyone heard of this? When I went to BMW NA website, it does state pre-2009 only for Alarms. Am I stuck with a $75K car with no alarm?? Help!

Thanks!

Scotty
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
///M Rakete's Avatar
United_States
9
Rep
857
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtbks View Post
Hey there everyone,

New to the Forum and day 3 with my Space Grey 2010 M3 Coupe. This is a weird one...when I bought the car it didn't have the OEM Alarm on it. I was told that the Service guys could install one. Then they came back and said that BMW only offers Alarms on pre-2009 M3's and that the 2010's are not pre-wired and too technical and electronic to install. I was told to get Lojack and call it a day. This is my 7th BMW and I have always had BMW integrated alarms...this one just doesn't make sense.

Has anyone heard of this? When I went to BMW NA website, it does state pre-2009 only for Alarms. Am I stuck with a $75K car with no alarm?? Help!

Thanks!

Scotty
Don't know what to tell you except that model year 2010 saw the introduction of a factory installed alarm on the 3-series, option 302, for $400 MSRP. I have it on my car. Perhaps they are no longer pre-wiring cars or the existing alarm kit doesn't work with MY2010 cars.
__________________
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,084
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Yeah, starting in the April builds of 2009 models, BMW no longer prewired the car for OEM alarm retrofits. If you didn't opt for an alarm when you ordered your car, I don't think you have an option to install a factory alarm afterwards. My car was built in 02/09, so I lucked out.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 02:02 AM   #4
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
326
Rep
10,621
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Yeah, starting in the April builds of 2009 models, BMW no longer prewired the car for OEM alarm retrofits. If you didn't opt for an alarm when you ordered your car, I don't think you have an option to install a factory alarm afterwards. My car was built in 02/09, so I lucked out.
There is always remoteKEY+, which will emulate the factory alarm and blinking LED light/alarm confirmation chirps.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
wrtbks
New Member
wrtbks's Avatar
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks everyone. I will see what I can find as an alternative. The Service Manager at the dealership is still researching...I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
wrtbks
New Member
wrtbks's Avatar
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
There is always remoteKEY+, which will emulate the factory alarm and blinking LED light/alarm confirmation chirps.
Tom,

You guys are local (So Cal) right? Do you install the remoteKEY+ at your shop? Looks interesting.

Scotty
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Kyoshi71's Avatar
35
Rep
2,528
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtbks View Post
Hey there everyone,

New to the Forum and day 3 with my Space Grey 2010 M3 Coupe. This is a weird one...when I bought the car it didn't have the OEM Alarm on it. I was told that the Service guys could install one. Then they came back and said that BMW only offers Alarms on pre-2009 M3's and that the 2010's are not pre-wired and too technical and electronic to install. I was told to get Lojack and call it a day. This is my 7th BMW and I have always had BMW integrated alarms...this one just doesn't make sense.

Has anyone heard of this? When I went to BMW NA website, it does state pre-2009 only for Alarms. Am I stuck with a $75K car with no alarm?? Help!

Thanks!

Scotty
I have a 2010 and an alarm from BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
wrtbks
New Member
wrtbks's Avatar
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
I have a 2010 and an alarm from BMW
Kyoshi,

Did you order the 2010 with the alarm? Mine wasn't ordered with the alarm and I am being told that if you don't order it with the alarm, you can't install a BMW alarm on it. Strange...but true.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
326
Rep
10,621
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtbks View Post
Tom,

You guys are local (So Cal) right? Do you install the remoteKEY+ at your shop? Looks interesting.

Scotty
We're located in Santa Ana, about 1 mile from Crevier BMW. We do perform installations in house - feel free to stop by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtbks View Post
Kyoshi,

Did you order the 2010 with the alarm? Mine wasn't ordered with the alarm and I am being told that if you don't order it with the alarm, you can't install a BMW alarm on it. Strange...but true.

Scott
A part number for a retrofit kit exists, no one has reported being successful in ordering one in the US yet. The cost of the installation kit, installation and coding will be over the $1K mark.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
wrtbks
New Member
wrtbks's Avatar
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks Tom. I will be in touch.

Scotty
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Griz
Lieutenant
12
Rep
498
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW Escort Type M
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtbks View Post
I was told to get Lojack and call it a day.
If you have navigation and the BMW Assist has been activated, then don't bother with LoJack.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
aajami
Brigadier General
aajami's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
4,084
Posts

 
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post

A part number for a retrofit kit exists, no one has reported being successful in ordering one in the US yet. The cost of the installation kit, installation and coding will be over the $1K mark.
For what it's worth, I got away for less than half of that. I bought the retrofit for under the list price from Tischer, did the installation myself, and had my SA cut me a deal on the coding.

Granted, I have an early '09 and the retrofit option doesn't seem applicable for later builds, as you mention.
__________________
'09 E92 M3: Space Gray, Black, Carbon Leather | ZTP 2MK ZPP 2MT 6FL | link 1 / link 2
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | 240J ECU flash | LCI Euro taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
wrtbks
New Member
wrtbks's Avatar
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
For what it's worth, I got away for less than half of that. I bought the retrofit for under the list price from Tischer, did the installation myself, and had my SA cut me a deal on the coding.

Granted, I have an early '09 and the retrofit option doesn't seem applicable for later builds, as you mention.
Thanks, I will see what my options are. My local SA has not given up and is reaching out to Germany to see what the deal is.

Scotty
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #14
rwchrist
CMPULSV
rwchrist's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
360
Posts

 
Drives: 09 Alpine White
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wichita Falls, Texas

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtbks View Post
Thanks, I will see what my options are. My local SA has not given up and is reaching out to Germany to see what the deal is.

Scotty
My SA and I went through this when I got my 09 back in June. We thought that it was gonna be a dealer add on, like we did w/ my E46. Appears BMW just stopped prewiring them without telling anyone. I think you are gonna find you are SOL. I was not happy and am looking into the RemoteKey...just not a big fan of tapping into my wires.

Good luck and if you find other options, please let me know.

REG
__________________
2009 Alpine White DCT E92 M3 - Tint, Hood M Stripes, Eibach Springs,
Gloss Black Rims, Vorsteiner Lip, BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler
Fabspeed x-pipe & Megan Race Exhaust


2006 Imola Red 6-speed E46 M3 - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #15
wrtbks
New Member
wrtbks's Avatar
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwchrist View Post
My SA and I went through this when I got my 09 back in June. We thought that it was gonna be a dealer add on, like we did w/ my E46. Appears BMW just stopped prewiring them without telling anyone. I think you are gonna find you are SOL. I was not happy and am looking into the RemoteKey...just not a big fan of tapping into my wires.

Good luck and if you find other options, please let me know.

REG
Thanks...I am fearing that you're right...SOL. I will let everyone know what I find out.

Scotty
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
wrtbks
New Member
wrtbks's Avatar
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

No BMW OEM Alarm for 2010 M3...

Just an update everyone. I finally got a call (2 weeks later) from BMW of North America advising me that I will not be able to install a OEM BMW Alarm on my brand new M3.

Apparently, they don't pre-wire M cars anymore for alarms and the only way to get one is to order it or hope the car you bought off the lot has one.

So, I am, SOL. They advised that they will give the feedback to their "people." I tried explaining that a stripped 3 Series is at least pre-wired for one and they couldn't explain why to me. I guess a $35K car is more important than a $75K car. She started to state that they must not be seeing a demand for alarms on M Cars...WTF?!?

Anyway, I will go with an after-market alarm and Lojack...auto thieves beware of me and my Glock!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #17
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
326
Rep
10,621
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtbks View Post
Just an update everyone. I finally got a call (2 weeks later) from BMW of North America advising me that I will not be able to install a OEM BMW Alarm on my brand new M3.

Apparently, they don't pre-wire M cars anymore for alarms and the only way to get one is to order it or hope the car you bought off the lot has one.

So, I am, SOL. They advised that they will give the feedback to their "people." I tried explaining that a stripped 3 Series is at least pre-wired for one and they couldn't explain why to me. I guess a $35K car is more important than a $75K car. She started to state that they must not be seeing a demand for alarms on M Cars...WTF?!?

Anyway, I will go with an after-market alarm and Lojack...auto thieves beware of me and my Glock!
No need for LoJack, BMW Assist can locate your vehicle also.

remoteKEY+ provides an audible and visual deterrent, which is what is most important. Once an alarm sounds - the damage is pretty much done.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #18
wrtbks
New Member
wrtbks's Avatar
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks Tom. I will check it out.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #19
wrtbks
New Member
wrtbks's Avatar
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
No need for LoJack, BMW Assist can locate your vehicle also.

remoteKEY+ provides an audible and visual deterrent, which is what is most important. Once an alarm sounds - the damage is pretty much done.
Tom,

Stupid question...where does the audible beep come from with the RemoteKey? Are you installing a speaker of some sort or is it already in the car? Also, I don't see the RemoteKey for an E92, or is it the 3-Series model that also works for the M3?

Thanks!

Scotty
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #20
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
tom @ eas's Avatar
United_States
326
Rep
10,621
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtbks View Post
Tom,

Stupid question...where does the audible beep come from with the RemoteKey? Are you installing a speaker of some sort or is it already in the car? Also, I don't see the RemoteKey for an E92, or is it the 3-Series model that also works for the M3?

Thanks!

Scotty
Scotty,

A piezo buzzer is included with the kit that fully emulates the factory chirp, about +10dB louder. The e9x 3-Series kit is what you'll need:

remoteKEY+ window Control for 3-series (e9X) Coupe & Sedan
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...oducts_id=1796

The intention of the remoteKEY+ is a deterrent - to prevent break-ins from happening in the first place. Likely, thieves will simply move to an easier target.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #21
wrtbks
New Member
wrtbks's Avatar
1
Rep
20
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe DCT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (0)

Cool. I will be in touch.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #22
srcstc
Major
United_States
27
Rep
1,322
Posts

 
Drives: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ

iTrader: (8)

There is a retrofit available...

see attached PDF.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E90 E92 Alarm Retrofit.pdf (898.3 KB, 986 views)
__________________
2009 E92 335i M-Sport TiAg|Black|Aluminum -ZMP|ZPP|NAV|CA|Heated Seats|6MT
BMW Performance Exhaust|Rear Fogs|OEM Black Grills|Cobb AP|ETS 5" FMIC|DCI
Installer for BimmerTech

Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT:
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST