BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
FBTO
M3 Destroyer!!
FBTO's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
431
Posts

 
Drives: 10 MB C63, 02 CBR954, 05 CR125
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to FBTO
I wanna get a STI....but....

Hi Guys. I know this is a BMW forum, but I thought since most of you are car guys I could come here to bounce off some thoughts. I am considering buying a 2010 Subaru WRX STI. (My first Subaru) But I am just not 100% sure if it is the best car for me. Also, after reading some of the long term test, the STI seems to take a bit of a beating.

I am basically looking for a fun car, that has a MANUAL tranny. Can fit my young kids (6 and 4) in the back seat once in a while. 4 wheel drive is nice, but not a must. I could do rear wheel drive. Might do a 1 or 2 track days a year. Just wondering if there are any other cars to consider before pulling the trigger on a STI.

Other options?
M3/335xi? (A bit overpriced compared to the value)
EVO X (Not really crazy about the looks)
Golf GTI (Front wheel, and not that strong)
G37x (Too many of them)
Audi A4/S4/S5 (A bit pricey and questionable reliabilty)
Merc and Lexus (No manual)

What other cars are out there that are/can be as fun as a STI? I am so in love with the White/Gold combo. But just don't know if the car is worth the $45k Canadian price tag? In that price range, (plus or minus $5k), what else is available?

Altough I can afford the above listed cars, the pricey ones might not be the best use of my money.

I sold my Lexus ISF last year, and although I loved the power and luxury, I missed the manual tranny.

Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
64
Rep
4,962
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Beat it!

http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/index.php

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
FBTO
M3 Destroyer!!
FBTO's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
431
Posts

 
Drives: 10 MB C63, 02 CBR954, 05 CR125
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to FBTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
Hell, I will beat you with my Camry...I have seen how you "drive" I use that word loosely...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
26
Rep
1,562
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

STIs are fun cars. If you can get past the boy-racer/big ass spoiler looks and your wife doesn't mind, then it will be a great choice. You can always remove the wing and get a nice neutral color (white, black, silver).

It is very safe, has all wheel drive and quick off the line. A poor man's Porsche....that's less good looking.

I had one and enjoyed it very much..had a TurboXS Stage 4+ kit in it and was running low 12s.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
64
Rep
4,962
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBTO View Post
Hell, I will beat you with my Camry...I have seen how you "drive" I use that word loosely...
I wouldnt know - too busy passing you, dont have the need to look in my rearview much. Too much power for you anyway.....
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #6
FBTO
M3 Destroyer!!
FBTO's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
431
Posts

 
Drives: 10 MB C63, 02 CBR954, 05 CR125
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to FBTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I wouldnt know - too busy passing you, dont have the need to look in my rearview much. Too much power for you anyway.....
When did you pass me? That never happened!


BTW, this is the 2010. No big tail!

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
26
Rep
1,562
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBTO View Post
When did you pass me? That never happened!


BTW, this is the 2010. No big tail!

Looks good! Have you considered EVOs?

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
bunnn
Colonel
bunnn's Avatar
35
Rep
2,260
Posts

 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (12)

Recently a co-worker of my dad's traded in his allroad for an STI...he's raced in the past in Macau/England, and got his Formula Ford license back in the 80s ...I've driven both his car and mine..as did he..I love his car just as much as mine around town, would take it over a 335i ..it was really fun

I'd rather have an STI over an EVO, as the EVO feels seriously cheap all around, and the crowd of image of an EVO seems to be towards the younger crowd..but I wish the Ford Focus RS would come...I'd have that over any of the competiton


oh i just realized it's 2 doors..guess it wont work for you
__________________
Cheers
Ben
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #9
jackolo
Groin Grabbingly Trascendent
jackolo's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
343
Posts

 
Drives: 997 & ///M
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton AB

iTrader: (5)

Ever consider an RS4? Just throwing it out there.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
bunnn
Colonel
bunnn's Avatar
35
Rep
2,260
Posts

 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (12)

OH yeah...there was discussionon how the RS4 AVANT and RS6 AVANT is being imported by Horchaus(MTM) to Canada..but the price is 70k and 115k respectively


it's so bad ass, minus the carbon build up issues
__________________
Cheers
Ben
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
Brianrg
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
254
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBTO View Post
Hi Guys. I know this is a BMW forum, but I thought since most of you are car guys I could come here to bounce off some thoughts. I am considering buying a 2010 Subaru WRX STI. (My first Subaru) But I am just not 100% sure if it is the best car for me. Also, after reading some of the long term test, the STI seems to take a bit of a beating.

I am basically looking for a fun car, that has a MANUAL tranny. Can fit my young kids (6 and 4) in the back seat once in a while. 4 wheel drive is nice, but not a must. I could do rear wheel drive. Might do a 1 or 2 track days a year. Just wondering if there are any other cars to consider before pulling the trigger on a STI.

Other options?
M3/335xi? (A bit overpriced compared to the value)
EVO X (Not really crazy about the looks)
Golf GTI (Front wheel, and not that strong)
G37x (Too many of them)
Audi A4/S4/S5 (A bit pricey and questionable reliabilty)
Merc and Lexus (No manual)

What other cars are out there that are/can be as fun as a STI? I am so in love with the White/Gold combo. But just don't know if the car is worth the $45k Canadian price tag? In that price range, (plus or minus $5k), what else is available?

Altough I can afford the above listed cars, the pricey ones might not be the best use of my money.

I sold my Lexus ISF last year, and although I loved the power and luxury, I missed the manual tranny.

Any advice?
STI without the tech package all the way or take your $45k down to the USA and pick up a used E90 M3!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
SlammedR8's Avatar
Canada
121
Rep
4,937
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
yikes!
a Subaru? no thanks!
stay away IMO.

grab an RS4 or a used E90 M3. im sure there are good deals out there
__________________
2010 Audi R8 V10 Coupe 6MT-White on Red
GMG Exhaust | H&R Springs | H&R Spacers | Carbonio Intake | UniTronic ECU Upgrade| 15% Tints/50% Windshield|LED License Plate
2013 Range Rover Sport-Black on Black
Stock with 15% Tint & 50% Windshield
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
Fanta
C
Fanta's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
578
Posts

 
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera & C320
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (1)

Some mechanics told me "Be aware of the head gasket!"
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #14
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
64
Rep
4,962
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

I dont know Dee - not sure about the Scoobi for $45K as a daily driver, if you had another car to play with maybe. I'd say look for a 335i for around $50 or even the S4 seems to be pretty reasonable.

Just get the M3 - you know you wanna!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
bunnn
Colonel
bunnn's Avatar
35
Rep
2,260
Posts

 
Drives: like a grandma
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanta View Post
Some mechanics told me "Be aware of the head gasket!"
this applied to the older models..i dont think it's an issue in the newer cars..
__________________
Cheers
Ben
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
SlammedR8
Brigadier General
SlammedR8's Avatar
Canada
121
Rep
4,937
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Audi R8 V10 +2013 Audi S4
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via MSN to SlammedR8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I dont know Dee - not sure about the Scoobi for $45K as a daily driver, if you had another car to play with maybe. I'd say look for a 335i for around $50 or even the S4 seems to be pretty reasonable.

Just get the M3 - you know you wanna!


+1
At the end of the day, its exactly what you need.
a DD that can serve as a track car and as a great everyday car with a MANUAL tranny and can fit your 2 skids in the back seat!
__________________
2010 Audi R8 V10 Coupe 6MT-White on Red
GMG Exhaust | H&R Springs | H&R Spacers | Carbonio Intake | UniTronic ECU Upgrade| 15% Tints/50% Windshield|LED License Plate
2013 Range Rover Sport-Black on Black
Stock with 15% Tint & 50% Windshield
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #17
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General
Mr.Metak2you's Avatar
122
Rep
4,758
Posts

 
Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwr'

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
I like the STI alot. Just make sure you do get a deal because they do depriciate. I have seen some advertised discounts of upto $8k off MSRP on leftover models. Just have to be patient and vigilant.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #18
calintexas
Major
calintexas's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,416
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Texas

iTrader: (1)

Not Totally Subaru Savy

I remember reading the the regular WRX was actually a better car (faster and easier to drive) than the STI. I think it had to do with the engine size which might have been addressed in the 2010 models. Could the regular WRX be a better less expensive choice?

Not many Subbie's down here.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 07:59 PM   #19
darren johnson
New Member
0
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: E 93 2008
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

You will keep second guessing yourself until you get the M3.

find one in the USA and get TFX International to bring it up for you. They can do all your paperwork and drop it off in your driveway.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #20
darren johnson
New Member
0
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: E 93 2008
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

or you could do this. Keep the Toyota for moving the kids around and get this for yourself.


http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...500-miles.html


crazy cheap prices in the USA on these right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #21
FBTO
M3 Destroyer!!
FBTO's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
431
Posts

 
Drives: 10 MB C63, 02 CBR954, 05 CR125
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to FBTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
I dont know Dee - not sure about the Scoobi for $45K as a daily driver, if you had another car to play with maybe. I'd say look for a 335i for around $50 or even the S4 seems to be pretty reasonable.

Just get the M3 - you know you wanna!
What is wrong with the STI as DD? It is better than a M3. Most of you guys put your M3 away for the winter. With the STI, you have a useable car all year round.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #22
Jaypod
Brigadier General
Jaypod's Avatar
No_Country
64
Rep
4,962
Posts

 
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBTO View Post
What is wrong with the STI as DD? It is better than a M3. Most of you guys put your M3 away for the winter. With the STI, you have a useable car all year round.
I sure dont! Don't get me wrong, I really like them, I just mean I think I would have to trade in the suit for a hoodie and a baseball cap to go to work - a little boy racer for me I guess.

There was a guy at Calabogie with one that had done quite a bit of work to it. Fully tuned he was pushing over 600HP but he said it wasnt that driveable, He had at about 400hp for the track day and it performed quite nicely and sounded great too - but he couldnt keep up with the M's (even in the wet).
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST