BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW M3 E92 2010
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hawaii

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

A question about ECU/Chip tuning

Hello people, I just have some questions regarding ecu/chip tuning.
I spent time searching for it, but couldn't get the answer so I thought I should ask people on this forum.
If you have some knowledge about this topic, please feel free to chime in.

1. I was wondering if it's possible to get CEL after you get the ecu/chip tuning.

2. If you do get the CEL after the tuning, what's the cause of it?

3. If this issue ever happened to you or someone you know.

I see that some people write sarcastic or non-related comments, but save that for your boss.......
Also, don't need to write "tuning does not worth the money, don't get tuned, they are not safe, and etc."

I'd greatly appreciated if you guys answer the questions.

Thanks in advance.
kpneverdies is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
niqui
Brigadier General
 
niqui's Avatar
 
Drives: Jet Black E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada

Posts: 3,100
iTrader: (7)

1) yes it is; a cel can be triggered for a number of reasons other than a simple increased emissions issue. This could also cause it if you have a first stage tune that is meant for stock midpipes and you go catless or hfc and your tune does not account for that. If your tune is meant for catless of HFC you should get no increased emissions warning triggering a cel - however, i dont see why a cel caused for other reasons would not appear as that is plain unsafe for the engine should something else go wrong.

2) You will likely need a handheld tool to tell you if the car doesnt display the error straight up = it could be a host of things.

3) no
__________________
Jet Black E92 M3
niqui is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW M3 E92 2010
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hawaii

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niqui View Post
1) yes it is; a cel can be triggered for a number of reasons other than a simple increased emissions issue. This could also cause it if you have a first stage tune that is meant for stock midpipes and you go catless or hfc and your tune does not account for that. If your tune is meant for catless of HFC you should get no increased emissions warning triggering a cel - however, i dont see why a cel caused for other reasons would not appear as that is plain unsafe for the engine should something else go wrong.

2) You will likely need a handheld tool to tell you if the car doesnt display the error straight up = it could be a host of things.

3) no
thanks for your reply. but, what if you got the tune specific for HFC and CEL still comes up?
kpneverdies is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Dave07997S
Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 ZCP Coupe
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Playa del Rey, CA

Posts: 2,519
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpneverdies View Post
thanks for your reply. but, what if you got the tune specific for HFC and CEL still comes up?
You have to run the codes and see what shows up. If you are still getting cat inefficiency codes then something is a miss with the tune.

Most tunes raise the thresholds to keep a CEL from coming on, even if you are catless. The CEL can still illuminate if something else is causing it.

Dave
__________________
2013 M3 Coupe-MR/BLK ZCP, ACM test pipes, BPM Stg2 dev. tune and Megan catback, AFE Stg2. with C/F elbow
Previous rides: 2011 M3 Coupe-MR/Blk
2007 Porsche 997C2S Speed Yellow/Blk sport seats
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Dave07997S is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
 
BMRLVR's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada

Posts: 2,329
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpneverdies View Post
thanks for your reply. but, what if you got the tune specific for HFC and CEL still comes up?
It is most likely another issue then. Sometimes CEL's are related to a tune but most times they are not..... A lot of times when a CEL comes on after you get a tune it is just a coincidence and the first thing people want to blame it on is the software.

Scan the car and see what the code is then go from there. There are lots of things that can turn on a CEL on our cars!
__________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP - Individual Moonstone/Individual Amarone Extended/Individual Piano Black With Inlay:LINK!!!
1994 Euro E36 M3 Sedan - Daytona Violet/Mulberry:LINK!!!
BMRLVR is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
808E90
808E90
 
808E90's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 ///M
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aloha State

Posts: 4,019
iTrader: (21)

I'll see if I can get my hands on a OBD Scan tool to see what type of codes pop up ...
__________________
LTMW FTL . Karbonwerks LCI Trunk . Vorsteiner Poly Front Lip . NA Motorsports LUX H8 . RECARO Pole Position Seats . BMW Performance Pedals . BMW Performance Performance Grills . BMW Painted Fender Grills . BBS 19x9.5 19x11 LMs . Michelin PS2 265/295 . H&R Sport Springs . Wheel Mate 45/55MM Stud Kit . BBS Red Lug Nuts . ESS VT1 Supercharger . Akrapovic GT4 Exhaust
808E90 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW M3 E92 2010
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hawaii

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
It is most likely another issue then. Sometimes CEL's are related to a tune but most times they are not..... A lot of times when a CEL comes on after you get a tune it is just a coincidence and the first thing people want to blame it on is the software.

Scan the car and see what the code is then go from there. There are lots of things that can turn on a CEL on our cars!
ooo, i see. thanks for the input.
kpneverdies is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #8
kpneverdies
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW M3 E92 2010
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hawaii

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808E90 View Post
I'll see if I can get my hands on a OBD Scan tool to see what type of codes pop up ...
thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kpneverdies is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #9
onait83
Registered
 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 E92 US Model
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Morocco

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

Hello, I own a 2008 Bmw M3 E92 US model and had it shipped to Europe. Sometimes when I push the car to its limits in acceleration, I get this 'engine failure, loosing power' then the car looses power and doesn't exceed 120km/hr. Then I have to stop for 10-15min,turn on the engine again and everything goes back to normal. Also sometimes I get this 'high emissions, service engine soon' . When I had it checked by the BMW dealership, they said that most US models have these problems due to the difference in benzine between europe and the US. They also suggested to change the fuel injectors and replace them with the european version. Any clues how to fix this? Thnx
onait83 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-17-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,698
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by onait83 View Post
Hello, I own a 2008 Bmw M3 E92 US model and had it shipped to Europe. Sometimes when I push the car to its limits in acceleration, I get this 'engine failure, loosing power' then the car looses power and doesn't exceed 120km/hr. Then I have to stop for 10-15min,turn on the engine again and everything goes back to normal. Also sometimes I get this 'high emissions, service engine soon' . When I had it checked by the BMW dealership, they said that most US models have these problems due to the difference in benzine between europe and the US. They also suggested to change the fuel injectors and replace them with the european version. Any clues how to fix this? Thnx
Wasn't aware that US spec and Euro spec had different fuel injectors. I can tell you that this sounds like a bunch of BS. I can hit 200 km/h easily over and over without a single error or hitch. Hell, the car even likes to go 180+ MPH.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST