BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GTB Performance

02-14-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
BB_cornelius
Private
Rep

Drives: 2010 E93 M3 AW/FR

DCT- ! Transmission range N???

I was driving around in manual mode this morning and I may have accidentally downshifted twice with my paddle from 2nd gear. After that some error message appeared on my iDrive saying

"! Transmission range N. The transmission automatically shifts to P when engine is switched off. Please contact the BMW center as soon as possible." And this message keeps appearing every time I start the car.

Has anyone ever had this come up on the screen? How do I fix it? I've called my local BMW sales guy but he was busy and hasn't called back.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
Finnegan
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: Sapphire Black/Black Z4Mc

While I can't find the thread, I believe this error message the result of a faulty shift lever on another forum member's DCT equipped M3. The transmission is smart enough (or should be) to prevent user-error (if that's indeed what happened) from messing things up (for example, it won't let you downshift into an overrev situation). Best thing to do is take it in and get it checked.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
saeedg48
Brigadier General
Iran
Rep

Drives: 12 CLS63 + 14 M6 C

I wouldn't worry about it. But when you get a chance bring it to the dealer. Keep in mind it's not a good idea to downshift to first. Maybe if you're doing something >10MPH.. But 1st is a really sensitive gear. At least in an 6MT it is.

2008 M3 Sedan + TestPipes + Tune [sold]

2012 CLS63 AMG + P30 Performance Package
2014 M6 Coupe + AMS Downpipes + KW V3
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 01:36 AM   #4
Sandye90m3
Captain
Canada
Rep

Drives: M3

I didn't know the car let you downshift into N??? Am I missing something here? You were in 2nd and then you tapped the left paddle twice and you got into N? I haven't driven my car for 2 months but I don't think it lets your downshift into N?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 01:40 AM   #5
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to ihyln
You can. I've gone into neutral once by accident.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
BB_cornelius
Private
Rep

Hey guys, thx for all your suggestions. I'm getting it checked out at the dealer tomorrow. I don't think I made the situation very clear with my first post, so I'll try to give you a better picture.

I was exiting a highway and braking for a left turn, then I downshifted as I was braking all the way to 2nd gear (started shifting at about 30mph or so) then accidentally shifted twice from 2nd gear at about 15mph. It went to first and then the error message came up. It didn't go to N at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. But when you get a chance bring it to the dealer. Keep in mind it's not a good idea to downshift to first. Maybe if you're doing something >10MPH.. But 1st is a really sensitive gear. At least in an 6MT it is.
Fully disagree 100%. I Downshift to 1st gear in both of my cars (DCT and 6MT) up to max speed (~40-42 mph) all the time. I would never do it without a rev match however. The last point is important. Most people don't seem to rev match properly on downshift when using a manual, so the 1st gear myth is propagated. It's no surprised why. Downshifting to 1st gear at anything but a very low speed without a rev match will break your tires lose violently and would be dangerous.

I also drove my e46 M3 this way for 125k miles with not a single transmission problem and never once even replaced the clutch.
      02-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeedg48 View Post
in a manual i never never downshifted to 1st. the car wouldnt let me and if i tried the gears would grind. id have to be stopped to go into 1st.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #9
BB_cornelius
Private
Rep

So has anyone actually encountered this issue before? The guy at the dealer said he has never seen it and said that it could take up to 3 days to figure it out. I told him I would bring it over at another time since today is President's day and they won't start work til tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
waremark
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 08 M3 Coupe DCT

If anybody else had this experience I think they would have spoken up by now. I don't think you did anything wrong - normally the DCT does not let you make any downshifts which would be a problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
BB_cornelius
Private
Rep

Yeah that's what I think too. It's just that the warning light bothers me haha and the folks at my dealer made me feel like I messed up somehow. But the iDrive is basically telling me what the car is supposed to do, but then it shows up as a warning light which is confusing...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:54 PM   #12
Finnegan
Major General
United_States
Rep

Someone else has had this experience. I found the post I referred to in my first entry in this thread. <-Link-> Looks like a shifter problem. (My memory isn't as bad as I thought!)

You might want to PM this guy and see what he can tell you. He's been active recently (2/1/10)....
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
NewM3driver
Captain
Rep

Drives: 2008 m3 sedan

I can not help but shake my head as I read all the problems and disappointments you guys have with the DCT. While DCT it is better than the SMG was, as a collective jury YOU (the folks that OWN them)l have made it very clear that the system is not yet perfected.

There was also a recent article in one of the car mags that said while they loved the M3, they could not warm up to the DCT. I have driven many porsches with their PDK, and the truth be told, that system is not quite there yet either.

I love my manual. At 14,000 miles the notch going into second gear is gone, and it feels so natural to drive in such a sublime, sporty sedan.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 11:01 PM   #14
BB_cornelius
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Someone else has had this experience. I found the post I referred to in my first entry in this thread. <-Link-> Looks like a shifter problem. (My memory isn't as bad as I thought!)

You might want to PM this guy and see what he can tell you. He's been active recently (2/1/10)....
I just PMed him. I read one of the posts in that thread and one of the members who had the same problem fixed it with a software update or something. Anyway, you've been a big help! Thx!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #15
Ryboy98
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe

Just got my M3 6MT last Thurs and I heel and toe into 1st all the time already. Like Mokesel said, you gotta rev match. And this car loves to do it!

Ry
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 02:48 AM   #16
Finnegan
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cornelius View Post
I just PMed him. I read one of the posts in that thread and one of the members who had the same problem fixed it with a software update or something. Anyway, you've been a big help! Thx!
Cool! I hope you get this put to bed quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #17
shiblanor
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 e92 M3 JetBlk DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cornelius View Post
I recently got a similar code...it'd reoccur everytime the car came to a stop. Took it to the dealer a week ago, they still have it. Haven't talked to the service advisor about details yet, but he said they had to order a part (shifter), which sounds consistent with what others have written here. I also asked to have the DCT sw uprev'd to the latest, which strangely has been the reason they still have the car. Gotten a couple voice msgs from them saying they're having a hard time getting my car to take the sw upgrade. Also, they gave me a bit of flack about doing the upgrade ("you can't just ask to be upgraded and get it"), so i had to describe how it seemed like a lawsuit waiting to happen that the car sometimes hesitates to downshift immediately when i step on the gas if i'm still rolling at low speeds, turning across traffic. No questions asked after that.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #18
waremark
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 08 M3 Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
I can not help but shake my head as I read all the problems and disappointments you guys have with the DCT. While DCT it is better than the SMG was, as a collective jury YOU (the folks that OWN them)l have made it very clear that the system is not yet perfected.
I think there are few who still have problems, and that most are thrilled with DCT. In track or demanding driving it is just brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 08:20 PM   #19
BB_cornelius
Private
Rep

Hey guys, just wanted to give you an update on my current situation. So my M3 is at the dealer being repaired and I've spoken to the mechanic about the situation and he says that its something with the shifter and it needs to be replaced. Fortunately, it's only going to take up about 4 days to get the part. However, he also mentioned that it could harm the car if I drive it now so I left the car with them for awhile (although this does not match up with some of the members' experiences, since they've all said that it was driveable.). Missing my M3 right now =(
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #20
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep

Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi

It will all work out.
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #21
alito
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 M3 CONVERTIBLE

I just got the same message, went to dealer, the started PUMA and PERSONALLY called BMW and were advised that it was software related and to upgrade to the latest software and they have already. My car was there just a day. The dealer is awesome and they have been on the money with all of my cars before so I trust it will be OK.
FYI
      03-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #22
deon10
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW M3 (Gray) DCT

Damn ! I have the same problem too, I've had it for like 3 days now.
First it started with the "Trans. Range. N" message. Then the car started having some wird transmission lag. It is annoying...

I will stop by the dealer tomorrow and ask for a software upgrade.

This problem happened to the person I bought it from, and he replaced the shifter or something, and it started working fine again, but now it's back again. So I guess it's not just a physical transmission problem...

@alito and the other guys who updated the software... how is that going for you ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0