BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
CATCH_M3
Lieutenant
19
Rep
466
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW M3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

2009 BMW M3: A Bargain If You Really Care



Most people wouldn't drop $60k on an M3 even if they could, and I get that. Crunch the numbers and it doesn't make sense. The N54 and N55 turbo sixes nip at the mighty M-Power V8's heels, and the cars they come in are far cheaper. Surely a 335i or a 135i -- or hell, a Camaro SS -- will get the job done.

But the M3 is a connoisseur's car, and connoisseurs aren't into crunching numbers. Try telling an oenophile that she could save 70 bucks and get the same buzz from a $5 Trader Joe's special. That argument won't fly. If you really care about something, you sweat the details more than the bottom line. The M3's for people who think like that about cars. Every element of the driving experience, from the steering, suspension and brakes to the shifter and the throttle response, has been fine-tuned to please drivers who really care. It's clearly built by connoisseurs as well as for them.

The M3 isn't an overpriced 3 Series; it's a discounted supercar. In an age when raw automotive excellence is disappearing from showrooms faster than manual transmissions, this Bimmer stands apart.

- Josh Sadlier, Associate Editor @ 16,855 miles

Thought this was extremely well written.

Taken From Edmund's Long-Term BMW M3 Blog, Link: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...s/2009-bmw-m3/
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 01:52 AM   #2
spyderco10
Colonel
spyderco10's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,425
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Honolulu, HI

iTrader: (0)

couldn't have said it better myself
__________________
“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
M3twins
Second Lieutenant
M3twins's Avatar
3
Rep
249
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

This thread or at least the original post should be cut and pasted onto every M3 vs 335i thread because this sums it up in a nutshell... Very well put.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
DOUT
Captain
DOUT's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
781
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)


__________________
2013 E92 M3 6MT ZCP Space Grey/Fox Red
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #5
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
MVF4Rrider's Avatar
49
Rep
2,060
Posts

 
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas NV

iTrader: (0)

It'll be a bargain when I pick one up in a few years with under 10K miles and at half the cost of new! I have high praise for the garage queens--keep 'em like new for me!
__________________
'08 Carrera S 6MT Guards Red/Black ext leather, Carbon fiber pkg, sport exh, sport chrono +, PASM, Nav, Bose, 19" forged turbos, red tranny tunnel
'07 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 1+1, Corse Red/Silver, RG3 race pipes and factory race ECU
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 03:29 AM   #6
smmmurf
Colonel
32
Rep
2,113
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pleasanton, CA

iTrader: (7)

Nice post, OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
It'll be a bargain when I pick one up in a few years with under 10K miles and at half the cost of new! I have high praise for the garage queens--keep 'em like new for me!
Good luck finding an E9x for under $30k with less than 10k miles...
__________________
M3 Sedan - AW/Black - 6MT - no moonroof - no folding seats - RAC RG63 - clear bra by Omega Werks

Last edited by smmmurf; 02-10-2010 at 03:41 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 03:59 AM   #7
endofanera7
Major General
endofanera7's Avatar
No_Country
119
Rep
5,188
Posts

 
Drives: 08 JB E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to endofanera7 Send a message via MSN to endofanera7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
It'll be a bargain when I pick one up in a few years with under 10K miles and at half the cost of new!
Can I have some of what you're smoking?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 05:03 AM   #8
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
McLuVan's Avatar
Vietnam
144
Rep
13,120
Posts

 
Drives: ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Socal~818~

iTrader: (1)


that was beautiful
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
M3PGH
Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
485
Posts

 
Drives: M5
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh,PA

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
7
Rep
786
Posts

 
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB

iTrader: (0)

ok guys, now try to explain that to some of the 335 fanboys who still think that 335 + tune = M3 ??? power wise, maybe, but that's about it...


good luck !
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
Vinja
Private First Class
United_States
2
Rep
126
Posts

 
Drives: Black/Black '09 M3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

OP: Great post, perfectly written for those that believe.




Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchM3dreamer View Post
ok guys, now try to explain that to some of the 335 fanboys who still think that 335 + tune = M3 ??? power wise, maybe, but that's about it...


good luck !

Twin turbo's tuned sound like a lot of fun. M3 is a driving machine, from corners to straights it is impressive. Who cares if one car is quicker than the other. As long as each INDIVIDUAL is happy with what they own, who can really come in and say someone else's car is TOTALLY inferior. Lets call the 335' "fanboys" fanmen, they still have a great taste in cars, and are wanting the feel of the turbo at a very decent price.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #12
dhoggm3
Captain
dhoggm3's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
989
Posts

 
Drives: F80 E93 E36 M3, F430, 981 BS
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA

iTrader: (1)

I think I'm gonna cry.
__________________

Never leave a car completely stock!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
7
Rep
786
Posts

 
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinja View Post

Twin turbo's tuned sound like a lot of fun. M3 is a driving machine, from corners to straights it is impressive. Who cares if one car is quicker than the other. As long as each INDIVIDUAL is happy with what they own, who can really come in and say someone else's car is TOTALLY inferior. Lets call the 335' "fanboys" fanmen, they still have a great taste in cars, and are wanting the feel of the turbo at a very decent price.
agreed, both are great i'm sure... just saying the M3 has that little special something than other cars dont...
sorry for the OT lets not turn that into another endless 335 thread!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
MMMorish's Avatar
Canada
58
Rep
2,836
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3twins View Post
This thread or at least the original post should be cut and pasted onto every M3 vs 335i thread because this sums it up in a nutshell... Very well put.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderco10 View Post
couldn't have said it better myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post

that was beautiful
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
I think I'm gonna cry.
+1,000,000
__________________
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #15
frenchM3dreamer
Captain
7
Rep
786
Posts

 
Drives: 08 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder GTP
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB

iTrader: (0)

.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
J-9
Converting 93 octane to noise.
J-9's Avatar
No_Country
13
Rep
882
Posts

 
Drives: around all the retirees.
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Panama City Beach, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH_M3 View Post
Most people wouldn't drop $60k on an M3 even if they could, and I get that. Crunch the numbers and it doesn't make sense. The N54 and N55 turbo sixes nip at the mighty M-Power V8's heels, and the cars they come in are far cheaper. Surely a 335i or a 135i -- or hell, a Camaro SS -- will get the job done.

But the M3 is a connoisseur's car, and connoisseurs aren't into crunching numbers. Try telling an oenophile that she could save 70 bucks and get the same buzz from a $5 Trader Joe's special. That argument won't fly. If you really care about something, you sweat the details more than the bottom line. The M3's for people who think like that about cars. Every element of the driving experience, from the steering, suspension and brakes to the shifter and the throttle response, has been fine-tuned to please drivers who really care. It's clearly built by connoisseurs as well as for them.

The M3 isn't an overpriced 3 Series; it's a discounted supercar. In an age when raw automotive excellence is disappearing from showrooms faster than manual transmissions, this Bimmer stands apart.

- Josh Sadlier, Associate Editor @ 16,855 miles

Thought this was extremely well written.

Taken From Edmund's Long-Term BMW M3 Blog, Link: http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...s/2009-bmw-m3/

__________________
-Paul, BMWCCA #447670
2007 E63 M6 Black Sapphire Metallic / Black Leather / Carbon Fiber Trim / Borla Catback / Matte Black Grilles
Planned: MTEC V3 LED Angel Eyes / Black RPI Scoops / Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #17
Bokke
Captain
Bokke's Avatar
United_States
31
Rep
989
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATCH_M3 View Post
The M3 isn't an overpriced 3 Series; it's a discounted supercar. In an age when raw automotive excellence is disappearing from showrooms faster than manual transmissions, this Bimmer stands apart.
__________________
Garage:
09 E90 ///M3 SS | Black | Modded
13 Cayenne GTS Carmine Red
15 F82 ///M4 SS | SO | CCB's | Loaded | BBS FI's | Eisenmann | K&W | M Performance
15 991 GT3 | Rhodium Silver | Born 12/10/14 | Texas 1/30/15

Last edited by Bokke; 02-10-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #18
AlpWtE92
First Lieutenant
AlpWtE92's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
319
Posts

 
Drives: '08 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SF / Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Very well put. This guy summed up very well the reason I bought this car and plan to keep it for a while!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #19
ilidon
Corporal
ilidon's Avatar
Philippines
10
Rep
969
Posts

 
Drives: E92 ///M
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: L.I., NY

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 335i  [3.50]
__________________
2010 E92 ///M3 AW/FRE
2009 E92 335i- SOLD

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
disruptv
Major
28
Rep
1,144
Posts

 
Drives: 3M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ny

iTrader: (10)

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
the edmunds writer is 100% correct and hit the nail on the head...i think its safe to say that of us here who drive an m3, we all could have afforded an 335...

however, we chose the m3 for a few reasons...my reasons are passion and character that I couldnt find in a 335...I had a e90 330xi and the 335 felt like a mire powerful car and it is, but it didnt feel like a much better car as in the way the m3 feels to me versus my 330xi...

I respect 335's and 135s, and everything out there that is cheaper and quicker than my car...at the end of the day I know why i got an m3 and not anything else...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #21
karussell
Major
United_States
36
Rep
1,396
Posts

 
Drives: 4 wheels
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GA

iTrader: (1)

The M3 is an incredible car for the price. Now just sell us amerkins the GTS. I guarantee it would sell out at $120K. I would definitely buy one. Then the "plain" M3 would be real bargain.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #22
Alex@Autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Alex@Autocouture's Avatar
74
Rep
3,671
Posts


 
Drives: E30 M3, E92 Frozen GTS
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ny

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011.75 E90 BMW M3  [3.83]
2011 bmw/ m3  [0.00]
i almost considered the 335 just because of the used price market but at the end of the day it was just a fast 3 series so i spent more and got an immaculate e92 m3 and i couldnt be happier
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST