BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

E92-lighting

02-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #23
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I was with 1st MARDIV for three years but now I'm at a hospital overseas. You?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #24
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i

Marine 'winger here. I was with VMFA(AW)-242, VMFA-314, and VMFAT-101
      02-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #25
rgrovr
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
As a corpsman myself, I think you may be idealizing our importance to some extent (actually I notice a lot of other corpsmen do this, too - they seem sort of brainwashed to me). Sure, medics of all stripes are indispensable, but to expect the POTUS to know anything about corpsmen (anything at all) - well, that's just wishful thinking. Let's face it, we're small potatoes and just don't get recognized at that level.
Everyone makes mistakes and has peculiarities of speech. I thought people made too big a deal about Bush's slip ups and I think the same thing now. That said, I'm a bit aghast that someone on his staff hasn't noticed and corrected his mistake by now.
You don't have to be a historian of the caliber of Gordon Wood to have a basic understanding on the pronunciation of the word "Corps". Seriously, he has a whole functioning service arm in the military that has that word as part of their name. People would be aghast if he called it the United States Marine "Corpse"

Between the deferential over-bowing to heads of state, blowing off the French President to go on a date night, ducking the Dalai Lama, and his multiple 'Corpse-man' mis-pronounciations just beffudles me what the hell his Protocol Office is doing..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #26
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Granted, it's not a terribly obscure word. It is a bit puzzling that he would have trouble with it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 05:55 PM   #27
whathappened
Banned
Rep

Drives: yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpirate87 View Post
If, for the sake of argument I accept your claim that Bush's mispronunciation of nuclear is more likely based on his learning to pronounce it incorrectly or simply a reflection of a regional dialect, we are still left with the fact that it is NOT the result of an unfamiliarity with the word. It also still leaves us with the fact that Obama's continuous mispronunciation of corpsman is.

The outrage is still properly directed only at Obama and his staff.

All you have to offer is a Clintonian-style word parsing as to why you direct your outrage at Obama, while defending Bush up and down?

You started this thread with a comment taking on hypocrites who would attack Bush, but then give Obama a free pass. Now you are turning around and using a Clintonian-style parsing to attack Obama, while giving Bush a free pass!

What exactly ARE your values? Because it appears that you are willing to completely drop your values to suit your political attack of the moment.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #28
shift330
Blue Force Tracker
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
As a corpsman myself, I think you may be idealizing our importance to some extent (actually I notice a lot of other corpsmen do this, too - they seem sort of brainwashed to me). Sure, medics of all stripes are indispensable, but to expect the POTUS to know anything about corpsmen (anything at all) - well, that's just wishful thinking. Let's face it, we're small potatoes and just don't get recognized at that level.
Everyone makes mistakes and has peculiarities of speech. I thought people made too big a deal about Bush's slip ups and I think the same thing now. That said, I'm a bit aghast that someone on his staff hasn't noticed and corrected his mistake by now.
Agreed. What you guys do for us, nobody outside the Navy/Marine Corps or military family in general will fully get and is certainly not something a President who hasn't served, and who's daily tasks involve international affairs, should be expected to know. Medics aren't the ones romanticized in the movies. Hell, I never heard the term "corpsman" until I was 17, shortly after stepping off the yellow footprints at MCRD and coming face to face with one shoving a needle in my.... well YOU know.

Stay safe 855th MP Company! Hosmer/Espinoza you're my boys!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #29
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift330 View Post
Agreed. What you guys do for us, nobody outside the Navy/Marine Corps or military family in general will fully get and is certainly not something a President who hasn't served, and who's daily tasks involve international affairs, should be expected to know. Medics aren't the ones romanticized in the movies. Hell, I never heard the term "corpsman" until I was 17, shortly after stepping off the yellow footprints at MCRD and coming face to face with one shoving a needle in my.... well YOU know.
+1. I didn't know wtf a corpsman was until I was getting stuck with all sorts of needles at MCRDSD. Regardless, he still needs to fix himself if he is the leader of the military.

Last edited by lambtron; 02-12-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #30
cotmfk
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i

Multiple times in multiple speeches is not acceptable.
      02-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #31
Negotiator
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Drives: 07 GTI

His staff fucked up. He's a dumbass for not knowing. Needs to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #32
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by whathappened View Post
All you have to offer is a Clintonian-style word parsing as to why you direct your outrage at Obama, while defending Bush up and down?

You started this thread with a comment taking on hypocrites who would attack Bush, but then give Obama a free pass. Now you are turning around and using a Clintonian-style parsing to attack Obama, while giving Bush a free pass!

What exactly ARE your values? Because it appears that you are willing to completely drop your values to suit your political attack of the moment.
Who the hell are you to question my values?

My values are such that a man who leads our armed forces should take sufficient interest in the men and women under his command to become familiar with the basic jobs they perform and the proper pronounciation of their basic terminology.

I also believe that those who called our previous president a moron for simply mispronouncing a word should be just as hard if not harder on this one for mispronouncing a word because he is completely unfamiliar with it.

And if you don't like my values Nixon you can crawl back under your rock
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #33
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:

My values are such that a man who leads our armed forces should take sufficient interest in the men and women under his command to become familiar with the basic jobs they perform and the proper pronounciation of their basic terminology.

I also believe that those who called our previous president a moron for simply mispronouncing a word should be just as hard if not harder on this one for mispronouncing a word because he is completely unfamiliar with it.

Man, you're right it is Nixon! Only he would say something like "Clintonian-style word parsing".

good catch!
      02-16-2010, 10:11 AM   #34
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
Zimbabwe
Rep

Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:

It wasn't JUST the lack of being able to pronounce words correctly. It was many many things he did that made him look like a moron. The lack of decent speech skills just added to the overall appearance of him being a dunce.

02-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #35
shpirate87
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
It wasn't JUST the lack of being able to pronounce words correctly. It was many many things he did that made him look like a moron. The lack of decent speech skills just added to the overall appearance of him being a dunce.
You bought into a media storyline. Obama has done just as many if not more stupid things than Bush did. Did you hear about him trying to enter the Oval Office through a window?

The 'media' loves to portray conservatives as stupid (Reagan, Bush, Palin) while liberals are never stupid no matter how many stupid things they do.

Last edited by shpirate87; 02-16-2010 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Added pic
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #36
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [5.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
+1. I didn't know wtf a corpsman was until I was getting stuck with all sorts of needles at MCRDSD. Regardless, he still needs to fix himself if he is the leader of the military.
lol...typical Marine words...
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #37
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivaresAnthony View Post
lol...typical Marine words...
You an 0651?
      02-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #38
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [5.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
You an 0651?
yeah..I am
E90 325i|Sparkling Graphite Metallic|Steptronic|Black Leatherette/Dark Burl Interior|OEM Alarm|35%Front/5%Rear Tint|RD LED License Plate Lights|Rear Fogs Activated|Debadged|Smoked Sidemarkers|Blacklines|Depo P90v2|Matte Black Grille|BMS PBX|AFE Drop In|Charcoal Filter Delete|Air Scoops| RM Silicone Intake Hose| Magnaflow 14815| 19" Avant Garde M310|Continental DWS|M3 Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 11:04 AM   #39
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yeah..I am
At least I didn't say something like, "..it would behoove Obama..." haha.
      02-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #40
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [5.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
At least I didn't say something like, "..it would behoove Obama..." haha.

why the question about MOS? do I know you?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #41
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

why the question about MOS? do I know you?
No, I made the assumption that you were a Marine and confirmed said assumption via MOL. haha.
      02-16-2010, 07:51 PM   #42
OlivaresAnthony
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [5.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
No, I made the assumption that you were a Marine and confirmed said assumption via MOL. haha.
ok...kinda creepy..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #43
chd2
Driver
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 M3 DCT

Obama=fail. This is just another example.

To be elected to the highest office and mispronounce a term to describe some of the men and women that protect him, on more than one occasion, is not ignorance. It is disrespect.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #44
lambtron
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok...kinda creepy..
just utilizing the resources the Corps provided me with...I wanted to see if you were a dude I thought I knew; I recognize the last name.