BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

OneEighty

08-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
M'EM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: A 4000 lbs fat ass Car

Kw Has Kit/swift Spec R

Hey Folks,

I pulled the trigger on what appeared to be a great deal for the KW HAS kit. Doing some research I see mixed opinions on these kits where folks have complained about ride quality being harsh. I have a non EDC car and would like to hear from folks with Non EDC cars who have this installed about their thoughts on ride quality/looks etc.

Also how difficult is this to DIY? I have access to a lift and tools but pretty much a noob when it comes to working on cars. Should I even attempt it or just have it installed by a shop. I read shops charge around $400 for the install.

All said and done I am looking at around $1000 (with a shop installing it) in total to get this mod done and in the end if I am not happy with it I would rather get the Swift SPEC R, install it myself and call it a day for around $350.

I can return the HAS kit without even opening the package now. Please help me decide. TIA.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
M'EM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Anyone please?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
shimmy23
Doesn't drive an e9x
Rep
Drives: e90 IB M3

considering you don't have EDC I woulda sprung for the swifts to begin with. if you are really looking to dial in the height, I'd suggest coilovers.

sell the HAS kit
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 04:24 PM   #4
vastano
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Ive never ridden in a car without EDC, but I have the Swifts and LOVE them.
      08-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #5
Z K
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI

I had the HAS kit... it's ok. If you take your car to the track, get a real coilover kit.

Otherwise the HAS will allow you to set ride height on the street. Ride is similar to stock. Performance is lacking though. The biggest problem with the stock suspension is the stock shocks lack rebound. Adding springs won't help at all.

Install is no different than installing springs. HAS is exactly that, lowering springs that are adjustable height.
      08-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
M'EM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys for the responses. So if I follow the Diy for the after market spring install from the Diy section of this forum I should be good right?. Like I said I have access to lifts so may be it will be a breeze.

I was hoping to hear from folks who don't have EDC and have this kit installed to chime in..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
shimmy23
Doesn't drive an e9x
Rep
Drives: e90 IB M3

^ I haven't heard of many non EDC guys running HAS... reason being is they were designed for the EDC system
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #8
M'EM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
^ I haven't heard of many non EDC guys running HAS... reason being is they were designed for the EDC system
Very well could be. But all the sites that sell the kit say it works with EDC and Non EDC cars. In fact before I bought it I called Turner to check this and they said the same. Anyways I have 30 days to make a decision and if need be return it for a full refund or better yet sell it. I noticed the price went up to 899 on Turner now. If anyone wants it let me know.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
mikefil128i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 128i

I recently installed the h.a.s kit on my non edc m3 and installation was a breeze. The only tricky part is installing the front "collars" or whatever they are actually called. They have to be pressed or tapped on over the front struts to a certain level (2.08 inches I belive but I may be wrong). Make sure you have a set of verniers or dial calipers to accurately measure the distance needed. As for the feel and ride, it's a bit harsh compared to stock but not back breaking at all. I had the fronts bottomed out at first and it felt like I was riding on the bumpstops. I lifted it about a half inch and maintained the factory rake so now it feels a lot better. Zero issues or gripes after about 2000 miles on wonderful New England roads
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 01:31 AM   #10
M'EM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Great input. Thanks. I will wait to hear from others and then make a call to go with it or return/sell it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
nyfg56
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 AW/Fox Red 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M'EM
Great input. Thanks. I will wait to hear from others and then make a call to go with it or return/sell it.
I have EDC and the Swifts and did the install in my garage. Bet simple and straightforward install, no different than any other spring install from my experience. Follow the DIY here and so it yourself. On to the swifts.... I LOVE them. Was extremely skeptical of installing only springs on my car after some bad experiences in the past but these ride amazing in all edc modes and are not bouncy at all. Car feels way more planted and I think the stance is perfect (trunk is loaded in first picture, ride height is actually very symmetrical)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0