BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Racewerkz Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
buddster
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW E46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 183
iTrader: (0)

Increased Rev Limiter: Dead Giveaway to BMW?

Most of the ECU tuners say the tune can't be detected by BMW because they don't have the equipment. Fair enough. If you get a tune and raise the rev limiter can they see the increased revs and therefore serve as a dead giveaway that the car has been tuned / modified?
buddster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2010, 01:15 AM   #2
SpencerM3
Sauce
 
SpencerM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 2,026
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddster View Post
Most of the ECU tuners say the tune can't be detected by BMW because they don't have the equipment. Fair enough. If you get a tune and raise the rev limiter can they see the increased revs and therefore serve as a dead giveaway that the car has been tuned / modified?
How can they see the increased revs? \I am going to assume that during service the techs don't rev the car up to 8400 RPM
__________________
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
SpencerM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2010, 01:44 AM   #3
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 vert's Avatar
 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...

Posts: 1,793
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
How can they see the increased revs? \I am going to assume that during service the techs don't rev the car up to 8400 RPM
You never know
M3 vert is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #4
xxe92xx
Banned
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 783
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Your ECU logs its MaxRPM. If you ever go over 8400, they will know. The dealers DO have the ability to read out MaxRPM. Yes, this ends up being a dead giveaway that you've tuned your ECU. One guy in the Philipines was denied warranty service because the ECU logged above 8400 RPMs. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't even have a modified ECU.

Moral to the story: go ahead and modify your ECU, but don't change your rev limiter.
is there a way we could see this data?
xxe92xx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2010, 02:17 AM   #5
xxe92xx
Banned
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 783
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
I believe the dealer can read it and show it to you.
im guessing this isnt done through the key reader right? they would only investigate further if they were suspicious.....but i meant if there was a way I could see the data, to verify if I went over the rev limit without the dealer knowing
xxe92xx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #6
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: FL to NY

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (4)

i have the dinan one which raises it but i rarely ever go that extra 200rpm so i should be ok. i would recommend there software to anyone, i think it is the safest one out there in my opinion

plus they put it back in for free when the idiot stealer removes it on you when your car is there
__________________
Street- 08 E92 M3- Sparkling Graphite/ Fox Red/6sp
Track- 10 CRF 250-PR2 Race Motor/Ohlins TTX Susp
Hauler- 06 Ford Skyjacker F250 4WD
H Bomb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
buddster
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW E46 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 183
iTrader: (0)

Thanks PG. It did seem like a rather easy way to get caught and void your warranty. Although wouldn't power pulleys be another mod that's easy to see (this time visually) and kill your power train warranty?
buddster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
PunjabiM3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
PunjabiM3's Avatar
 
Drives: R8 5.2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oro Valley, AZ

Posts: 1,774
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddster View Post
Thanks PG. It did seem like a rather easy way to get caught and void your warranty. Although wouldn't power pulleys be another mod that's easy to see (this time visually) and kill your power train warranty?
I have been thinking of getting pulleys for quite some time and I have concluded the only one I would go with is Dinan simply because of the warranty. For things such as exhaust, intake, suspension go with whichever you like.
__________________
2012 Audi R8 V10, 6MT, Suzuka Gray, Larini Clubsport exhaust, Klassen M52R, GMG springs, Satin Black badges
2012 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige, Moonlight Blue
2014 BMW 528i, Space Gray
Previous: 11 e82 1M, Several 911's & M3's
PunjabiM3 is offline   India
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Ca$hOnly
Major
 
Ca$hOnly's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In ur fridge, eatin ur foodz

Posts: 1,078
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Your ECU logs its MaxRPM. If you ever go over 8400, they will know. The dealers DO have the ability to read out MaxRPM. Yes, this ends up being a dead giveaway that you've tuned your ECU. One guy in the Philipines was denied warranty service because the ECU logged above 8400 RPMs. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't even have a modified ECU.

Moral to the story: go ahead and modify your ECU, but don't change your rev limiter.
He did have a modified ECU. He said it was tuned by a "local" tuner, and he never mentioned the name.
__________________
Ca$hOnly is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
knext21
Subscribed
 
knext21's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT (sold)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miami

Posts: 1,051
iTrader: (4)

Is there any other way for the dealer to notice the tune?
knext21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by knext21 View Post
Is there any other way for the dealer to notice the tune?
yes...

They routinely scan every BMW message board on the internet!

You will now be getting a phone call on Monday morning.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
gemini330zhp
Major
 
gemini330zhp's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 E90
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BergenCo NewJersey

Posts: 1,181
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
yes...

They routinely scan every BMW message board on the internet!

You will now be getting a phone call on Monday morning.
__________________
2008 Jet Black E90 M3 6SPD no sunroof and 18s to my specs


gemini330zhp is offline   Philippines
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #13
flipmeraz
First Lieutenant
 
flipmeraz's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 e92 m3
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: bay area

Posts: 313
iTrader: (2)

My friend is a tech at BMW and he said they connect your car to a computer everytime it goes in for service and they check all the data on your car. Max RPM, max speed etc... He also said all that info gets sent to BMW NA.
flipmeraz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
Bob86GN
Private First Class
 
Bob86GN's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan - ESS VT2-600
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Worcester, PA

Posts: 143
iTrader: (0)

I guess they will like the 130MPH I just put on mine this week
__________________
2009 ///M3 Sedan - Jet Black / Fox Red - IND/ESS VT2-600 - Eisenmann Race - Brembo
2007 Corvette Z06 - Atomic Orange / Ebony
2011 F-150 SuperCrew (Winter Transportation)
1986 Buick Grand National (10.8 @ 122mph)
1987 Buick Grand National (stock...for now)
Bob86GN is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
dhoggm3
Captain
 
dhoggm3's Avatar
 
Drives: F80 E93 E36 M3, F430, 981 BS
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA

Posts: 927
iTrader: (1)

"Rarely ever" exceeding 8400 doesn't matter. Do it once, it's recorded, and big Hans knows.
__________________

Never leave a car completely stock!
dhoggm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2010, 10:02 AM   #16
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
 
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

Posts: 1,948
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoggm3 View Post
"Rarely ever" exceeding 8400 doesn't matter. Do it once, it's recorded, and big Hans knows.
Yep, the data logging capabilities of the newest generation of Siemens MS-series ECU's is very impressive.

There are a number of things that you simply cannot 'reset' once they have occurred.

The current Siemens MS S65 engine management computer in the M3, can log a number of key events such as: max rpms, max speed, water over-temp events, oil over-temp events, severe engine knock events, limp mode/reduced power occurrences, VANOS camshaft timing errors, etc.

All of these things can lead to some type of engine damage, so BMW has the ECU record these events within the ECU's memory. (where a hand held code reader can not reset or erase them)

Once your M3 is connected to the BMW OBD-II diagnostic computer...they will be able to see everything you've been doing to the car.

Here's the typical reaction of a BMW technician when that happens...

__________________
The best is yet to come...
Lemans_Blue_M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #17
Fanta
C
 
Fanta's Avatar
 
Drives: 740iL, M3, Carrera & C320
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 576
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
One guy in the Philipines was denied warranty service because the ECU logged above 8400 RPMs. If I'm not mistaken, he didn't even have a modified ECU.
Downshift!
Fanta is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #18
knext21
Subscribed
 
knext21's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT (sold)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Miami

Posts: 1,051
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
yes...

They routinely scan every BMW message board on the internet!

You will now be getting a phone call on Monday morning.
knext21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
bher
Enlisted Member
 
bher's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 - 6MT - SSII
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brussels

Posts: 42
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanta View Post
Downshift!
In a few seconds, the computer tells the 10 max rpm, Engine temp, mileage and speed at that moments.
I assume many more data are available but these are already giving a lot of info how the car has been driven.
bher is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2010, 05:21 PM   #20
xxe92xx
Banned
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 783
iTrader: (2)

so in other words im fucked

there must be a way to get it "read" by somoene other than the dealer to see where your at
xxe92xx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #21
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,214
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmeraz View Post
My friend is a tech at BMW and he said they connect your car to a computer everytime it goes in for service and they check all the data on your car. Max RPM, max speed etc... He also said all that info gets sent to BMW NA.
That's not true, we have seen a number of DMEs sent in for bench/OBD2 flashing that have old software still on them, even with regular maintenance intervals.

BMW techs have a 1 hour cap on programming/CIP for reimbursement. Any longer, and the dealership loses money.
__________________
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2010, 05:34 PM   #22
xxe92xx
Banned
 
Drives: 08 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Posts: 783
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
That's not true, we have seen a number of DMEs sent in for bench/OBD2 flashing that have old software still on them, even with regular maintenance intervals.

BMW techs have a 1 hour cap on programming/CIP for reimbursement. Any longer, and the dealership loses money.
so im not fucked?
xxe92xx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST