BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Strasse Wheels
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-21-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
val007
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Question scoops and hydrolock

Hey guys, I'm new here. I read everything about intakes and especially about the RPI scoops. My concern and question is: "Is it possible to get some water through the scoos (the RPI scoops)and hydrolock the engine if you drive fast in very heavy rain(which is very common in So FL) ? Thanks in advance for any inputs.
Val007, 2008 M3, DCT
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Krozi
Colonel
Krozi's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
2,713
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

iTrader: (22)

Yea I live in in SoFla too and had the same concern....2 summers later and no hydrolock I can safely say that it's fine. I even went through a touchless car wash where water basically gets rammed up the scoops into the airbox and I didn't have any issues... No worries here

And btw, keep in mind many cars already have scoops as part of the factory air intake...the older Mercedes C230 Kompressor for example has scoops as part of the airbox assembly...
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
FStop7
I like cars
FStop7's Avatar
Vatican City State
96
Rep
5,059
Posts

 
Drives: M6
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Newbury Park, CA

iTrader: (3)

Well...

Look at the front of your car.

See the intake at the bottom of the bumper on the driver's side? That leads directly into the airbox. Shine a light in there and look up and you'll literally be able to see your air filter. If you're worried about ingesting water then the stock intake opening at the bottom of the bumper is much more of a risk than RPI scoops would be. Your car would need to be in water to the top of the engine bay for the scoops to ingest.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
val007
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozi View Post
Yea I live in in SoFla too and had the same concern....2 summers later and no hydrolock I can safely say that it's fine. I even went through a touchless car wash where water basically gets rammed up the scoops into the airbox and I didn't have any issues... No worries here

And btw, keep in mind many cars already have scoops as part of the factory air intake...the older Mercedes C230 Kompressor for example has scoops as part of the airbox assembly...
thanks for the quick reply, do you have the RPI scoops on your M3, what difference do you feel?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #5
val007
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
Well...

Look at the front of your car.

See the intake at the bottom of the bumper on the driver's side? That leads directly into the airbox. Shine a light in there and look up and you'll literally be able to see your air filter. If you're worried about ingesting water then the stock intake opening at the bottom of the bumper is much more of a risk than RPI scoops would be. Your car would need to be in water to the top of the engine bay for the scoops to ingest.
Thanks for the detailed answer, that explains it better to me and makes me feel more relaxed about the scoops. I'll follow your instructions and will take a look at the car tomorrow at work.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Krozi
Colonel
Krozi's Avatar
United_States
49
Rep
2,713
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

iTrader: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by val007 View Post
thanks for the quick reply, do you have the RPI scoops on your M3, what difference do you feel?
I installed them before I really drove the car so I don't really know the difference....plus they look sweet lololol
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
stryker1
Private First Class
stryker1's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
163
Posts

 
Drives: E90 2008 M3 silverstone
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: miami, fl

iTrader: (2)

Unless you go thru a monster size puddle full speed, otherwise bad downpour at high speed not enough water collects in those scoops to damage the system.

I would worry more about the intake below the bumper on the passenger side when going thru a large puddle vs the scoops imo
__________________
AA signature w/ xpipe AA ecu, alufelgen 19''s kumho, h&r sport, afe element & scoops, ind painted markers, and gills, carbon grille.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
2010e92m3
Banned
0
Rep
30
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (0)

I am interested also in RPI scoops. Is there any definitative proof at the track of improvement in times? Or only rolling road/high speed fan results.....
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST