BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

PYSPEED

12-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #23
Alias
dork

Drives: //M

I call bullshit
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #24
MJE M3

Drives: 2008 Jerez Black M3

Yeah I get it, it's like an ebay thing no credibility until you put yourself out there. I have found reading the information in this forum helpful so keep it coming. I'll earn my wings someday. I have purchased other items from AFE in the past so was just posting an opinion even though it was based on my butt dyno
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 11:10 AM   #25
novablackm3
Captain

Drives: e92 m3 , e70 x5m

Send a message via AIM to novablackm3
IF they just sold the middle intake pipe like the envy charger that was enlarged it would probably sell very well. The entire unit just looks out of place w/ all the hard lines.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #26
Green///Hell
Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 6MT AW

I believe they do sell just the center piece on its own, but it doesn't look good and some people will prefer a clean look

So for the money I'm sure others would just get Dinan or Technocrafts stuff
      12-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #27
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

even my AFE filter didnt have good fitment and rattled
BW C13 - 1:53:7
E92 M3 ZCP
KW CS w/Rs3 - WSIR 1:32:8 / BW C13 1:59:2
APR Wing/Rs3 - WSIR 1:30:9 / BW C13 1:57:7
TheKosherStogie is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 02:50 AM   #28
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyrusso View Post
even my AFE filter didnt have good fitment and rattled
Damn! that bad?

Past: Gintani stage3 M3
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6, 991C4S, i3 in September
Eugene-TAIWAN is offline   Taiwan
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 05:16 AM   #29
MrHarris
yodog

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Seems like everyone thinks it looks ugly. I think it looks OKAY.. not terrible but not beautiful either.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 05:29 AM   #30
yellowstone
Private

Drives: 2009 SG E92 M3

idk if I could reliably feel 10hp on a 400+hp car
yellowstone is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #31
Edman951
Second Lieutenant

Drives: F10 550xi, Alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda///Monic View Post
I believe they do sell just the center piece on its own, but it doesn't look good and some people will prefer a clean look
The pipe is round and made to be used with there big 6 inch filter they include. So it cant be used with the factory box.

This systems doesnt seem that bad in black, the aluminum box is almost fully closed, its not just a top like some said.
It is closed on the ouside by the body, and sits on top of the lower cold air inlet pipe from the bumper, and still get the air from the grill like factory.
Attached Images

Edman951 is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #32
Edman951
Second Lieutenant

Found some videos

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #33
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 M3

i got the Dinan one. i feel a little difference but nothing major. it was like when i did the software prob. i am sure if i did just a filter it would be the same feeling. it has some more pull to it in certain rpm ranges but nothing where i am like wow. now when i put my midpipe on that was a wow difference

i liked the look of the Dinan one and how it kept with the stock design theme. this AFe thing is just flat out ugly and looks like it was made in high school metal shop class and the design of it just doesn't make sense to me either

the Technocraft one def looks the best but i was already familar with Dinan and used there products on all my other cars so i chose the Dinan one. i had seen no R and D done on the Techno, it was made then released to the public for sale. i didn't even see a dyno from the company. one person who bought it posted one i think. not saying anything bad about it or the company as it may very well be a great product i just prefered to choose one with some R and D backing and some time on it then be the trial and error guy

anyway bang for the buck is a drop in filter and call it a day. if you want some looks with it too then the Dinan and Techno look way better then the AFE. also the AFE dyno claims just seem a bit off to believe

just my opinion don't take any offense to anyone who has the other products
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #34
wrh3
Car Guy

Drives: 2007 M Coupe, 2008 M3 Coupe

I think aFe makes great filters but I have not seen a dyno for their intake yet that makes me want one.

Bill- 2011 Lotus Elise R, 2010 Porsche Boxster S, 2005 Mini Cooper S
www.billswebspace.com/bmwindex BMW CCA Member # 389948
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 05:49 PM   #35
Edman951
Second Lieutenant

AFE website does show all the dyno and flow numbers.
http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...ter&brandID=53

Not trying to say its the best, but the info is there for all to see.

BTW im not on AFE payrol hahah, just want people to have the right info.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #36
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

sure it will flow more air.... but it's going to be hot air from the engine compartment.
      12-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #37
Edman951
Second Lieutenant

You still get cold air from the factory 3 locations.
And the filter is inclosed in there.
Sure aluminum take in the heat, but it also disipates it quickly.
The factory plastic also gets very hot but doesnt disipate as quickly as aluminum.
But the real question is, does the flow increase give you more then what you may loose from a possible extra heat transfer?

One cool thing about this kit, is that i comes with both types of filters.
One oiled, and one dry. So you can use the one that best suites you, and switch when its time to clean it out and not have down time.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 01:20 AM   #38
montreal red
chris

Drives: White Boat

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
sure it will flow more air.... but it's going to be hot air from the engine compartment.
+1
they should have designed it as a sealed system like the oem airbox... why would they make it open like this?

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
montreal red is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #39
MrHarris
yodog

Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
+1
they should have designed it as a sealed system like the oem airbox... why would they make it open like this?
Sound... and then it gives you the illusion you are going faster.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 02:20 AM   #40
montreal red
chris

Drives: White Boat

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
yea, i guess youre right. i can hear my aftermarket air filter much better with the airbox cover open. i guess its one of those mods that gives you +10 imaginary hp.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
montreal red is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2009, 02:26 AM   #41
SoCalM3Mang
"Makin It Happen-West Coast Style"

Drives: 2008 E93 Jerez Black 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Yep. And trust me, the sound is hypnotic.

Search my posts in the vendors forum about AFE Intakes. You can also search E60.net for all the negative information you will ever need from dozens of pissed off customers.

I've spoken to BMW engineers who LAUGHED OUT LOUD when asked if a non closed Intake system would avoid heat soak.

BMW's run hot fellas. Like any of us driving these V-8's and V-10's wouldn't know that with the amount of oil we burn through.

Stay away from AFE intakes.

Happy Holidays to everyone!
08 BMW E93 6MT Jerez Black|HAMANN-ed|Lots of Carbon Fiber|Eibach E-93 Sprgs|Advan RS-D's 19x9+22/19x10+20|AA-SSK-Pulley|RPI Scoops-Red|RPI Axle Back Exhaust- Blacked Out Tips|Hamann Rep CF Lip-Diffuser-Trunk Spoiler||Hamaan Badging
SoCalM3Mang is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #42
aFePower_Jason
Registered

Drives: 2009 BMW M3 E90

aFe's M3 Intake Initial Review - aFe Response

Hey guys, this is Jason Bruce from aFe. I have reviewed this posting and wanted to provide you with some information you requested and some additional feedback.

First of all, this is not an ad post started from aFe. aFe does not get involved with this type of posting or advertising. If we advertise, you will know it. I do however appreciate member MJE-M3 for his support of aFe and posting on this product.

We are very excited about our new M3 intake system and they are selling well. We are distributed through most of the major BMW retailers like **********s, Jlevi, Bav Auto, Bimmerzone, Bimmerworld, etc. We officially started shipping these intakes in late November.

I have attached a dyno chart (Mustang Chassis Dyno), air flow chart and an intake air temperature test showing the intake air temperature during driving comparing aFe vs. stock. This intake produced 15 max hp and 13lbs. x ft. max torque and outflowed the factory intake by 85%. The product is on our homepage at www.afepower.com. We do archive all original printouts of testing data.

At aFe we have a significant passion for BMW's. Our President/CEO, Nick Niakan is an avid BMW enthusiast. One of the advantages we have over our competition is our engineering dept. We have a huge engineering staff with many tools (dynos, air flow benches, dust testers, digitizing arms, 3D modeling, etc.) at their disposal to develop and test our designs. This R&D dept. allows us to have more transparency with our consumers when it comes to testing results. We have the data and do our best to provide it for you to see and compare. Most of our competitors do not even have this data for consumers to review and debate.

My previous offer still stands to any of the bimmerpost members, who want to try this product. I will install and dyno the product for free at our Corona, CA facility to prove our quality and performance. Please feel free to contact me at 951-493-7147 or email me at jbruce@afepower.com. I appreciate all of your comments, both good and bad. If you need anything further don't hesitate to contact me. If any of you are ever in the Corona area, look me up and I will be glad to give any of you a tour of our facility.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 07:12 PM   #43
ModBargains.com
Banned

Drives: JB E92 335i

I've personally had the honor to visit and tour aFe's state of the art facility in Corona with the **********s.com team. I have nothing but great things to say about the quality, and engineering that goes being all of their products.

As most of you already know I have personally sold this exact same aFe intake system at a sponsorship price to another member here XunXunDCT on M3post whom from my understanding is a good personal friend of MrHarris.

From my conversations with Will, he has gone to SP Engineering for to conduct his dyno. He has already completed the dyno with the stock filter and box on his E92 M3. The car has now been driven around 200 miles to allow for the ECU to adapt with the aFe Air Intake System installed and I'm awaiting on confirmation from him that the dyno has been completed.

I've also had the pleasure of driving Will's M3 and the car both before and after the aFe intake. I have nothing but great things to say about this product and the engineering that goes behind it. On top of the increase in sound from the engine bay you will definitely feel an instant increase in throttle response. The intake also puts use of the hood vents on the M3. The aFe intake not only blows out hot hair out from the vents but it also sucks in cold air !! I can attest to this from driving in the rain today and water blew up numerous times from that vent alone!!

I'll keep everyone here updated in regards to the status !!!

If you guys have any questions at all please feel free to contact me here at 714-582-3330 ext 8006.
ModBargains.com is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #44
J08M3
Major General

Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Although I'm quite skeptical about this product producing any extra power than you can get simply with a filter swap, I am impressed that AFE is at least showing how many CFM it can flow. Many other vendors do not have this info, for numerous different products where it is very important ton know.