BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #1
ADubM3
First Lieutenant
 
ADubM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVa 703

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Standard length wheel locks

I wanted some input to see if this would be a problem.
I know it is not ideal but is it possible to use a standard length wheel lock
on a wheel that has a 5mm spacer on it. The rest of the 4 lug bolts are fit for the 5mm extended length. Would one lug bolt 5mm short make a difference in safety or balance?

Last edited by ADubM3; 12-23-2009 at 02:34 PM.
ADubM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,242
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by strock View Post
I wanted some input to see if this would be a problem.
I know it is not ideal but is it possible to use a standard length wheel lock
on a wheel that has a 5mm spacer on it. The rest of the 4 lug bolts are fit for the 5mm extended length? Would one lug bolt 5mm short make a difference
in safety or balance?
VERY unlikely this would be a problem, but I will cite every disclaimer known to man!
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2008 M3 Coupe - Alpine/Fox Red/Carbon
2015 M4 coupe on order
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #3
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 9,864
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by strock View Post
I wanted some input to see if this would be a problem.
I know it is not ideal but is it possible to use a standard length wheel lock
on a wheel that has a 5mm spacer on it. The rest of the 4 lug bolts are fit for the 5mm extended length? Would one lug bolt 5mm short make a difference
in safety or balance?
Stock shank length is 26mm. A 5mm spacer requires the proper length lug, stock won't cut it here.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,035
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
I used the standard length wheel lock when I had 5mm spacers and it worked fine. It didn't turn all the way but it had a good 2-3 turns so it was on there.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Victory Road
Major
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 1,323
iTrader: (6)

A longer lug bolt is HIGHLY recommended. We offer RAD locks that come in extended sizes.
Victory Road is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2009, 11:34 AM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 9,864
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I used the standard length wheel lock when I had 5mm spacers and it worked fine. It didn't turn all the way but it had a good 2-3 turns so it was on there.
This is not safe. Recommended seating is 6-7 turns. Invest in a set of proper extended-length lugs, we offer the RAD locks as well.
__________________
Tom G. | european auto source (eas)
email: tom@europeanautosource.com web: www.europeanautosource.com tel 866.669.0705 ca: 714.369.8524 x22

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
calintexas
Major
 
calintexas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Texas

Posts: 1,416
iTrader: (1)

Yes, 6 to 7 Turns is a Good Safe number

The rule of thumb for steel hardware into tapped steel threads is a depth of 1.5 thread diameter to support the full clamp load. I looked in my engineering design book (it's been a long time). Calculations say that three full threads are required to meet full strength; so, using one thread each to cover the lead in on the bolt and the hole threads, 5 thread contact would be the minimum. All this supports the 6 to 7 turns that tom @ EAS is recommending for a good safe attachment.
__________________
calintexas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
ADubM3
First Lieutenant
 
ADubM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVa 703

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
VERY unlikely this would be a problem, but I will cite every disclaimer known to man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
I used the standard length wheel lock when I had 5mm spacers and it worked fine. It didn't turn all the way but it had a good 2-3 turns so it was on there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
The rule of thumb for steel hardware into tapped steel threads is a depth of 1.5 thread diameter to support the full clamp load. I looked in my engineering design book (it's been a long time). Calculations say that three full threads are required to meet full strength; so, using one thread each to cover the lead in on the bolt and the hole threads, 5 thread contact would be the minimum. All this supports the 6 to 7 turns that tom @ EAS is recommending for a good safe attachment.

I really appreciate all of your feed back. I understand it isn't the best set up but just wondering. I have 15mm spacers up front so I think I will take the offers from the sponsor's to get RAD locks on that one.
Anyone else using stock length wheel locks with 5mm spacers set up?
My gut is telling me, not a problem for one lug out of the four to be a tad short.Your experiences/opinions would be greatly appreciated.
ADubM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
VictorH
Lieutenant
 
Drives: '09 M3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SC

Posts: 594
iTrader: (1)

Get the right length lug. I've monkeyed around with wheels studs that were not the right length before and it's really not worth the risk. One problem you'll have if you don't have enough thread engagement is the risk of stripping the threads when you try to torque them, plus they are less likely to retain the proper torque setting.

Please just order the proper length lugbolt and be happy and safe.
VictorH is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2009, 10:13 PM   #10
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,242
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
My earlier "advice" is not what I would do, I must clarify. It is true that if you have at least half of the threads engaged as on the other four bolts it is not likely an issue, but I never do the half-ass solution. Ignore my previous post.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2008 M3 Coupe - Alpine/Fox Red/Carbon
2015 M4 coupe on order
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
ADubM3
First Lieutenant
 
ADubM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVa 703

Posts: 326
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
My earlier "advice" is not what I would do, I must clarify. It is true that if you have at least half of the threads engaged as on the other four bolts it is not likely an issue, but I never do the half-ass solution. Ignore my previous post.
Got it!
ADubM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST