BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Lux Angel Eyes

12-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
pesh
Private

Drives: e93 Black 2009 M3 Convertible

Send a message via Yahoo to pesh Send a message via Skype™ to pesh
iPhone 3G Snap-in Issues...

I just took delivery of a CPO 2009 M3 Convertible. It came factory installed with the Ipod USB / Headphone Jack input in the armrest. I negotiated with the dealership and had them install the "smartphone integration". They installed the option and ordered the iPhone 3g / 3gs snap-in adapter [84 21 2 158 683]. See attached PDF for why this part. This specific snap-in adapter was ordered to provide multimedia access, phone charging, and phone signal strengthening thru car antenna. Due to some shipping issues, I took delivery of the car prior to their testing the snap-in adapter + iPhone functionality.

I installed the snap-in adapter myself and plugged my phone. It shows that it is charging. I'm able to use the phone via bluetooth, but i cannot see any multimedia (ipod music) content thru the iDrive??? I have completely disconnected my Y-cable and only have the snap-in adapter connected. If I connect my iPhone 3G thru the y-cable, it works fine and my music shows up in the multimedia menu under external device.

Thoughts??

Thanks,
Pesh
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Iphone 3Gs.pdf (476.7 KB, 2809 views)
pesh is offline   United_States
      12-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
M3twins
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue E92 M3 DCT

Sounds like everything is working properly. The snap in adaptor is not designed to send multimedia to i-drive.. It is only for charging and possibly improving phone reception. Just download all of your i-tunes songs onto a USB drive and download into the HDD.
      12-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
jml
Captain

Drives: E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesh View Post
I just took delivery of a CPO 2009 M3 Convertible. It came factory installed with the Ipod USB / Headphone Jack input in the armrest. I negotiated with the dealership and had them install the "smartphone integration". They installed the option and ordered the iPhone 3g / 3gs snap-in adapter [84 21 2 158 683]. See attached PDF for why this part. This specific snap-in adapter was ordered to provide multimedia access, phone charging, and phone signal strengthening thru car antenna. Due to some shipping issues, I took delivery of the car prior to their testing the snap-in adapter + iPhone functionality.

I installed the snap-in adapter myself and plugged my phone. It shows that it is charging. I'm able to use the phone via bluetooth, but i cannot see any multimedia (ipod music) content thru the iDrive??? I have completely disconnected my Y-cable and only have the snap-in adapter connected. If I connect my iPhone 3G thru the y-cable, it works fine and my music shows up in the multimedia menu under external device.

Thoughts??

Thanks,
Pesh
Wow, that's kind of disappointing then, kind of unbelievable actually. Glad I didn't buy it. It's much easier to centralize on an ipod/iphone for keeping your music sync'd, so for a lot of people not being able to play multimedia through the snap in is kind of non starter. My 3gs won't charge from the USB port in the console, so it bleeds out on long trips.
      12-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness

Drives: Slowly

Quote:

Thoughts??

Thanks,
Pesh
You probably have the wrong snap-in adapter. There's a newer one that WILL let you play music. Now, if you also have iPod integration and a second iPod connected then that iPod will be the only one the iDrive sees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
Wow, that's kind of disappointing then, kind of unbelievable actually. Glad I didn't buy it. It's much easier to centralize on an ipod/iphone for keeping your music sync'd, so for a lot of people not being able to play multimedia through the snap in is kind of non starter. My 3gs won't charge from the USB port in the console, so it bleeds out on long trips.
You have the wrong cable. The new Y-cable will charge the iPhone 3G and 3GS.
quality_sound is offline   United_States
      12-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #5
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist

Drives: BMW 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:

Thoughts??

Thanks,
Pesh
Are you saying that your car did NOT have 6NF, "Smartphone Integration", but that the dealer installed it? You have the right adapter for a 6NF equipped car as you note. I would question what exactly the dealer did as I didn't think 6NF could be retrofitted. Did they simply install the eject box and provision for a non-USB capable adapter and call it a day?
2010 BMW M3 Coupe M-DCT w/Tech-EDC, BMW M Performance Exhaust, BPM: Stage I / Euro MDM / DCT / Steering, Space Gray / Fox Red Extended, and a Trunk Monkey known as "Der Stig", plus the daily driver...
2011 BMW 135i M Sport DCT, w/BMW Performance Power Kit, Exhaust, and Brake Rotors, Space Gray / Coral Red, known as "Stiggie" with an outlaw F20 "M135i" badge.
///M Rakete is offline   United_States
      12-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
pesh
Private

Drives: e93 Black 2009 M3 Convertible

Send a message via Yahoo to pesh Send a message via Skype™ to pesh
///M Rakete-

I'm not exactly sure what the dealership did. I simply told them that I wanted the Smart Phone capability to complimentary the factory installed iPod support in the car. I'll need to contact the dealer and ask specifically what was done. My issue is the dealership is more than 100 miles from where i live. I had to go to them, since they had this CPO vehicle.

I'll report back what they say, but based on the attached PDF (above in the original posting) I thought the right snap-in adapter was ordered. Frankly, I'm disappointed in BMW Corp for not having a simpler solution for this capability.

-Pesh
pesh is offline   United_States
      02-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
Fen335i
Captain

Drives: e92 M3 / Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
///M Rakete-

I'm not exactly sure what the dealership did. I simply told them that I wanted the Smart Phone capability to complimentary the factory installed iPod support in the car. I'll need to contact the dealer and ask specifically what was done. My issue is the dealership is more than 100 miles from where i live. I had to go to them, since they had this CPO vehicle.

I'll report back what they say, but based on the attached PDF (above in the original posting) I thought the right snap-in adapter was ordered. Frankly, I'm disappointed in BMW Corp for not having a simpler solution for this capability.

-Pesh

Bump. Anything new on this? I just posted a similar question on here and stumbled upon your thread. I called my dealership as well and they said my car doesn't have the 6NF (smart phone integration) so if they sell me the snap in adaptor, I will lose the audio going through iDrive.

Is there a workaround through BMW (not aftermarket)? Can I retrofit the 6NF into my car?
      04-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Saturn
Private First Class

Drives: E92 M3

At this point 6NF is not retrofittable. You can use the cradle, but it will only charge your phone, no more.
Saturn is offline   Canada