BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #1
pesh
Private First Class
United_States
16
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: 2015 Black M4 Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to pesh Send a message via Skype™ to pesh
iPhone 3G Snap-in Issues...

I just took delivery of a CPO 2009 M3 Convertible. It came factory installed with the Ipod USB / Headphone Jack input in the armrest. I negotiated with the dealership and had them install the "smartphone integration". They installed the option and ordered the iPhone 3g / 3gs snap-in adapter [84 21 2 158 683]. See attached PDF for why this part. This specific snap-in adapter was ordered to provide multimedia access, phone charging, and phone signal strengthening thru car antenna. Due to some shipping issues, I took delivery of the car prior to their testing the snap-in adapter + iPhone functionality.

I installed the snap-in adapter myself and plugged my phone. It shows that it is charging. I'm able to use the phone via bluetooth, but i cannot see any multimedia (ipod music) content thru the iDrive??? I have completely disconnected my Y-cable and only have the snap-in adapter connected. If I connect my iPhone 3G thru the y-cable, it works fine and my music shows up in the multimedia menu under external device.

Thoughts??

Thanks,
Pesh
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Iphone 3Gs.pdf (476.7 KB, 3125 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
M3twins
Second Lieutenant
M3twins's Avatar
3
Rep
249
Posts

Drives: 2009 Le Mans Blue E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Sounds like everything is working properly. The snap in adaptor is not designed to send multimedia to i-drive.. It is only for charging and possibly improving phone reception. Just download all of your i-tunes songs onto a USB drive and download into the HDD.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
jml
Captain
jml's Avatar
18
Rep
995
Posts

Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesh View Post
I just took delivery of a CPO 2009 M3 Convertible. It came factory installed with the Ipod USB / Headphone Jack input in the armrest. I negotiated with the dealership and had them install the "smartphone integration". They installed the option and ordered the iPhone 3g / 3gs snap-in adapter [84 21 2 158 683]. See attached PDF for why this part. This specific snap-in adapter was ordered to provide multimedia access, phone charging, and phone signal strengthening thru car antenna. Due to some shipping issues, I took delivery of the car prior to their testing the snap-in adapter + iPhone functionality.

I installed the snap-in adapter myself and plugged my phone. It shows that it is charging. I'm able to use the phone via bluetooth, but i cannot see any multimedia (ipod music) content thru the iDrive??? I have completely disconnected my Y-cable and only have the snap-in adapter connected. If I connect my iPhone 3G thru the y-cable, it works fine and my music shows up in the multimedia menu under external device.

Thoughts??

Thanks,
Pesh
Wow, that's kind of disappointing then, kind of unbelievable actually. Glad I didn't buy it. It's much easier to centralize on an ipod/iphone for keeping your music sync'd, so for a lot of people not being able to play multimedia through the snap in is kind of non starter. My 3gs won't charge from the USB port in the console, so it bleeds out on long trips.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
32
Rep
2,732
Posts

Drives: Slowly
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: At home

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesh View Post
I just took delivery of a CPO 2009 M3 Convertible. It came factory installed with the Ipod USB / Headphone Jack input in the armrest. I negotiated with the dealership and had them install the "smartphone integration". They installed the option and ordered the iPhone 3g / 3gs snap-in adapter [84 21 2 158 683]. See attached PDF for why this part. This specific snap-in adapter was ordered to provide multimedia access, phone charging, and phone signal strengthening thru car antenna. Due to some shipping issues, I took delivery of the car prior to their testing the snap-in adapter + iPhone functionality.

I installed the snap-in adapter myself and plugged my phone. It shows that it is charging. I'm able to use the phone via bluetooth, but i cannot see any multimedia (ipod music) content thru the iDrive??? I have completely disconnected my Y-cable and only have the snap-in adapter connected. If I connect my iPhone 3G thru the y-cable, it works fine and my music shows up in the multimedia menu under external device.

Thoughts??

Thanks,
Pesh
You probably have the wrong snap-in adapter. There's a newer one that WILL let you play music. Now, if you also have iPod integration and a second iPod connected then that iPod will be the only one the iDrive sees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
Wow, that's kind of disappointing then, kind of unbelievable actually. Glad I didn't buy it. It's much easier to centralize on an ipod/iphone for keeping your music sync'd, so for a lot of people not being able to play multimedia through the snap in is kind of non starter. My 3gs won't charge from the USB port in the console, so it bleeds out on long trips.
You have the wrong cable. The new Y-cable will charge the iPhone 3G and 3GS.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
///M Rakete's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
892
Posts

Drives: BMW 2015 M5 Comp
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesh View Post
I just took delivery of a CPO 2009 M3 Convertible. It came factory installed with the Ipod USB / Headphone Jack input in the armrest. I negotiated with the dealership and had them install the "smartphone integration". They installed the option and ordered the iPhone 3g / 3gs snap-in adapter [84 21 2 158 683]. See attached PDF for why this part. This specific snap-in adapter was ordered to provide multimedia access, phone charging, and phone signal strengthening thru car antenna. Due to some shipping issues, I took delivery of the car prior to their testing the snap-in adapter + iPhone functionality.

I installed the snap-in adapter myself and plugged my phone. It shows that it is charging. I'm able to use the phone via bluetooth, but i cannot see any multimedia (ipod music) content thru the iDrive??? I have completely disconnected my Y-cable and only have the snap-in adapter connected. If I connect my iPhone 3G thru the y-cable, it works fine and my music shows up in the multimedia menu under external device.

Thoughts??

Thanks,
Pesh
Are you saying that your car did NOT have 6NF, "Smartphone Integration", but that the dealer installed it? You have the right adapter for a 6NF equipped car as you note. I would question what exactly the dealer did as I didn't think 6NF could be retrofitted. Did they simply install the eject box and provision for a non-USB capable adapter and call it a day?
__________________
2015 BMW M5 Sedan M-DCT w/Competition Pkg and Carbon Ceramic Brakes, Driver's Assistance, and Executive Pkgs, B&O, Alpine White / Sakhir Orange and Black Full Leather, lots of carbon fiber, and a Trunk Monkey call "Der Stig".
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
pesh
Private First Class
United_States
16
Rep
129
Posts

Drives: 2015 Black M4 Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via Yahoo to pesh Send a message via Skype™ to pesh
///M Rakete-

I'm not exactly sure what the dealership did. I simply told them that I wanted the Smart Phone capability to complimentary the factory installed iPod support in the car. I'll need to contact the dealer and ask specifically what was done. My issue is the dealership is more than 100 miles from where i live. I had to go to them, since they had this CPO vehicle.

I'll report back what they say, but based on the attached PDF (above in the original posting) I thought the right snap-in adapter was ordered. Frankly, I'm disappointed in BMW Corp for not having a simpler solution for this capability.

-Pesh
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Fen335i
Captain
Fen335i's Avatar
33
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesh View Post
///M Rakete-

I'm not exactly sure what the dealership did. I simply told them that I wanted the Smart Phone capability to complimentary the factory installed iPod support in the car. I'll need to contact the dealer and ask specifically what was done. My issue is the dealership is more than 100 miles from where i live. I had to go to them, since they had this CPO vehicle.

I'll report back what they say, but based on the attached PDF (above in the original posting) I thought the right snap-in adapter was ordered. Frankly, I'm disappointed in BMW Corp for not having a simpler solution for this capability.

-Pesh

Bump. Anything new on this? I just posted a similar question on here and stumbled upon your thread. I called my dealership as well and they said my car doesn't have the 6NF (smart phone integration) so if they sell me the snap in adaptor, I will lose the audio going through iDrive.

Is there a workaround through BMW (not aftermarket)? Can I retrofit the 6NF into my car?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
Saturn
Private First Class
Canada
2
Rep
177
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

At this point 6NF is not retrofittable. You can use the cradle, but it will only charge your phone, no more.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST