BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Strasse Wheels

12-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
BimmerRob08
Major

Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Encore Innovation Xpip install. Feedback

Ok,

Finaly got the pipes in the mail and installed them two weeks ago. So far I've got about 300 miles with no CEL. No chance of a dyno here so I won't be posting any power numbers. However, the butt dyno says it rocks with a good power gain. rpm's spool up much faster, sounds and performs much more angry than stock. For now I have the stock muffler on but it sounds much better and rips if I give it gas at idle and while driving has a very nice purr and at WOT, it's sick! Can't wait to hear it with the Remus Sport.

Now for installation. I think the quality of the pipes themselves are outstanding craftmanship. But, the two issues I found could have been better designed is the connection of the pipes to the headers and the fitment was slightly off.

The front of the pipes connecting to the headers are a slip-on with a C-clamp that goes over the outer sleeve of the X-pipe is IMO, probebly not as secure and durrable as the 2-bolt flange of the Fabspeed. You have to remove the Graphite ring that seals the connection and one was stuck pretty hard so it got trashed. Not a big deal, can always order new hardware for installing the original pipes for state inspections.

After instal, there was some exhaust leaks from the front fitting and the mid section C-clamps. Due to that the pipes had to be loosened and re-adjusted in order to get the mating of the mid flanges to be flush. Turned out to be a pain in the ass actually. The front of the pipes going to the headers slip over design has 3 slits so the pipe can snuggly fit over the header end. But about 2mm of the slits will be left past the header end so if you do not seal it somehow their will be exhaust blow by. I had to use a exhaust tape or paste to be exact to seal it up. Also used the stuff between the two flanges of the mid pipes to seal them up.

Also I can't say for the Fabspeed as I've only seen pictures but with the Encore I had to cut 3 slots in the Transmission heat shield so the O2 sensors would not contact the shield and to accomadate the fitting. Not a huge deal, easy stuff to do and the heat shield is still just as sturdy.

When the pipes and engine are cold and up until running temperature, their is a slight vibration about mid cabin now between the two front seats coming from the center counsel area. I'm pretty sure I checked everything and there is no metal to metal contact of any kind so I think it might be just vibration from the pipes at start up. The fitting between the header and muffler caused the pipes to be a bit "stretched" if you will and I think with the Remus I'll be able to reduce some of that tension on the x-pipes by allowing some play between the Remus sports where I have to cut the stock exhaust off. This I hope will fix the vib problem.

Over all, great product. I would have liked to see the fitment be a bit better is just my take on it. But no CEL so far so I'm happy.

Here are a few pictures of the pipes installed. Sound video' to come later with the Remus Sport get here.

Merry Christmas fella's
Attached Images

BimmerRob08 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0