BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Engine | Drivetrain | Exhaust

12-15-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
PYSpeed.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BC Forged Wheels

PYSpeed.com | E9x M3 TecnoCraft ENVY™ Manifold On Sale Now ~

It's ready, and Pre-Sale Special has started for just 5 sets with deep discount. PM if you are interested. =)

MSRP:
ENVY manifold Enlarged REPLACEMENT cover in Carbon Fiber (Buyer needs to either have a shop dremel and glue the piece or DIY) $999+shipping
ENVY manifold Enlarged REPLACEMENT cover complete in Carbon Fiber (requires core exchange) $1199+shipping

This is one of those "real deal" functional parts, lightweight, strong, and built for performance, not just a dress up pretty wallpaper. This manifold cover is quite a bit enlarged, honeycomb reinforced pre-preg construction with all the right signs of vacuum-bagged goodness. It's here to make power and support a powerful BMW intake manifold system. (Dyno will follow after test fit)

Last edited by PYSpeed.com; 12-16-2009 at 03:33 PM.
PYSpeed.com is offline   United_States
      12-15-2009, 01:43 AM   #2
kugo188
Enlisted Member

Drives: E90 M3

wow 1k...

It's worth the money if it can make 5-10hp and minus 10lbs

Kevlar edition coming soon right?
      12-15-2009, 02:42 AM   #3
bunnn
Colonel

Drives: like a grandma

what's the difference? Does the second option require DIY/Dremel etc? would like to finish off my envy system with this piece..mhmm
      12-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #4
m3pyun
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

I don't understand how a larger manifold COVER makes any power... Can someone please explain?
      12-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
05SCM3
First Lieutenant

Drives: 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by day1yun View Post
I don't understand how a larger manifold COVER makes any power... Can someone please explain?
It will not . . . .

PYSpeed is simply repeating Tecnocraft's marketing propaganda although both know that the cover itself will not produce power . . . .

It is disappointing . . . .
      12-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
M3_LIN
LM-R Whore.

Drives: 2009 White M3 Sedan

Send a message via AIM to M3_LIN Send a message via MSN to M3_LIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
what's the difference? Does the second option require DIY/Dremel etc? would like to finish off my envy system with this piece..mhmm
I believe the 2nd option is they will have the tecnocraft upper manifold already bonded to the lower piece of the plenum. And all you have to do is take yours off, put the one you receive and ship the stock one left

Eric,

Whats the deep discount?

Ed Lin

09AWE90M: Light headlight tint, Full front end clear bra wrap(Harris@InstyleGraphics), Ceramic tint(40%), Piaa GTX H3 bulb, HID 8k AE, 6k Low, INT Luxer1 lights, RD springs, LMR 20X9 +8, 20X10 +18 (Dave @ Status), Vertice CF hood Ducts(Dat @ VertexUSA), Tecnocraft FULL Envy Intake system+plenum(KEVLAR)+cabin filter covers, Meister GTC exhaust, Arkym F LIP.
M3_LIN is offline   United_States
      12-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #7
PYSpeed.com

Quote:
For quick explanation, just like a enlarged charge pipe, it will produced more air flow, thus more power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05SCM3 View Post
It will not . . . .

PYSpeed is simply repeating Tecnocraft's marketing propaganda although both know that the cover itself will not produce power . . . .

It is disappointing . . . .
05SCM3, sorry for the wait, but all Tecnocraft products will be DYNOed and proven. (Like the 3 runs we did with ENVY Intake) It's not just marketing words, please bear with us. =)
      12-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #8
m3pyun
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@PYSpeed.com View Post
For quick explanation, just like a enlarged charge pipe, it will produced more air flow, thus more power.

05SCM3, sorry for the wait, but all Tecnocraft products will be DYNOed and proven. (Like the 3 runs we did with ENVY Intake) It's not just marketing words, please bear with us. =)
That may be true if the actual manifold was enlarged but it looks like that's only the cover.
      12-16-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver

This is only a manifold cover...purely cosmetic IMO. I'd be interested to hear how this makes power.

The funny part is that a simple part like this costs about $75 or less to make. It all depends on the type of mold that you use.

When I lived in Miami, I had a small CF parts company. We would sell CF manifold covers for about $150-200. We would also make parts for the Cup cars out at Homestead; a full CF hood made from two layers of CF, two layers of Kevlar and HoneyComb construction was about $1500. It is funny how much some of these people charge for a cheesy manifold cover...blows my freaking mind.
      12-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
m3pyun
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
This is only a manifold cover...purely cosmetic IMO. I'd be interested to hear how this makes power.

The funny part is that a simple part like this costs about $75 or less to make. It all depends on the type of mold that you use.

When I lived in Miami, I had a small CF parts company. We would sell CF manifold covers for about $150-200. We would also make parts for the Cup cars out at Homestead; a full CF hood made from two layers of CF, two layers of Kevlar and HoneyComb construction was about $1500. It is funny how much some of these people charge for a cheesy manifold cover...blows my freaking mind.
That's like saying putting on a larger hat will make you smarter...

$1000 for a manifold replacement with a CF cover would be a good price but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.
      12-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
Checkcaptain
Captain

Drives: BMW M3 E92

Send a message via MSN to Checkcaptain Send a message via Skype™ to Checkcaptain
I guess some of you misunderstand this.
It does look like a cover, but I think the upper part of the aircollector is replaced by the CF lid. It is just the same design of airbox, which I posted about a year ago - see pics. The volume of the box which the pics are showing is about 1.5 litre larger, which reults in better throttle response and a very agressive CSL-like sound.
Attached Images

Checkcaptain is online now   Germany
      12-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
Jaypod
Brigadier General

Drives: Frozen Silver M3, AM V8V

Quote:
That's like saying putting on a larger hat will make you smarter...

$1000 for a manifold replacement with a CF cover would be a good price but I'm pretty sure that's not the case.
When i spoke to Tecnocraft I asked them if this was simply going to be a covered manifold (similar to the one EAS is selling for $1100 and also requires core exchange). I was told the top piece was enlarged for more volume and they had looked at making modifications to the bottom half, but determined it was not required as it was already pretty impressive.

Can't wait to see the dyno results etc. Keep us informed Eric!
Jaypod is offline   No_Country
      12-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
PYSpeed.com

Let me reiterate again.

It's not just a CF overlay on the original cover, it's an enlarged "REPLACEMENT" cover of the OEM piece. For any more question, please PM me directly.

Cheers ~
      12-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #14
bunnn
Colonel

Drives: like a grandma

Can't speak about this particular manifold piece, but the envy system was definitely a quality one; priced not bad either(comparing to some of the alternatives). And on the performance side, they did integrate the design with more airflow and volume - least it was on the envy system. Will try to do independent dyno testing from this side after ordering. You guys should probably just wait for dyno results before claiming this piece does nothing. I mean it's nice to have alternatives to the current wrapped/more expensive pieces - that does not provide any testing or results, iirc.
      12-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2008 997TT Arctic Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
A naturally aspirated motor is limited by the air volume it can intake through the vacuum of the motor. In theory, a Plenum should be approximately 1.5 times the size of the motor -- thus to ensure that the motor never lacks sufficient air volume during the intake stroke.

For a stock sized motor, a larger plenum may or may not make power -- only the dyno's will tell. For a motor like mine -- 4.6L stroker motor -- I believe a larger plenum is very valuable.

It's not only a cover. I've seen it in person.

It is a manifold replacement. I believe the two options are 1) you do the labor yourself and cut the old manifold apart and glue the new top cover on. 2) Swap out a complete manifold already sealed and completed.
PG,

I know you are very knowledgeable about all things BMW but here are my concerns.

1. In the picture, it is just a thin CF cover for $1000

2. Cutting an OEM piece and gluing this cover on may not be the best idea in terms of durability.

3. The aftermarket Plenums that I have seen (i.e., G35, G37, etc) are normally made out of some type of alloy and are one piece (replaces factory plenum). Assuming, that this cover glues on to the stock piece, I wonder if there is a risk of losing the seal between both parts over time.

Just my two cents..

Edit: Now that I remember, I've seen plenum spacers used in order to achieve to increased air flow.

-SZ
      12-16-2009, 08:16 PM   #16
albert1028
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3

I just stopped by tecnocraft today! Like others have said, they are patient and not only answered all of my questions, they even showed me their new projects that will come for our cars! For the carbon fiber whores, they'll love it.

When it comes to the manifold, I saw it in person, it looks real nice. They even showed me a complete cover and manifold and told me to stand on the carbon fiber, they even said, "go ahead" and jump on it! I did. They put a lot of efforts in their designs. The plenum area is increased like others have said. We will need to see dyno to see what the actual gains are, but i don't think they designed this part just for looks, it's both looks and performance.

Just my $.02.
albert1028 is offline   Taiwan
      12-17-2009, 07:00 AM   #17
05SCM3
First Lieutenant

Drives: 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@PYSpeed.com View Post
Let me reiterate again.

It's not just a CF overlay on the original cover, it's an enlarged "REPLACEMENT" cover of the OEM piece. For any more question, please PM me directly.

Cheers ~
I stand corrected; the photographs you posted made it look like it was simply a manifold cover.

Look forward to seeing some dynos, both manufacturer and independent.
      12-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #18
PYSpeed.com

Thx for all orders. =)
      12-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #19
niqui
Brigadier General

Drives: Jet Black E92 M3

how much is it for the first 5 customers...it says deep discount with msrp at 999,,,pm me the deal..
      12-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #20
Kyoshi71
Colonel

Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
They cant...It wont.
      12-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #21
Kyoshi71
Colonel

Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugo188 View Post
wow 1k...

It's worth the money if it can make 5-10hp and minus 10lbs

Kevlar edition coming soon right?
It will never make 5-10hp on a stock or even a slightly modded engine. Do not confuse the plenum's function with it's size. A plenums function is for intake air acceleration and distribution. You would need MAJOR engine work in order to exceed the amount of CFMs (cubic feet per minute) that the stock plenum is capable of delivering. If anything, I would bet (that's right bet) that the net performance impact is negative. Do you really think that PYSpeed has an engineering advantage to M GmbH? Nah.
      12-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #22
PYSpeed.com

Like we mentioned before, dyno results will come to prove the performance gain on envy manifold like all tecnocraft products. Let's keep it a sale thread, if any question, please pm me directly. Thank you guys.

Last edited by PYSpeed.com; 12-23-2009 at 04:57 PM.