BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

04-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #1
James Lafayette
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335D xDrive

M3 Pre Purchase Question

I test drove an E93 today. Really liked it but I have a couple of concerns, could anybody help? This is in the UK, if that makes a difference.

I understand the first service should be done at c.1200miles. The service book was stamped at 1,440 with a main dealer stamp, but the printout from the key read showed the first service at activity at 3,000 miles. The date was 2 months later from the stamp in the service book.

My concern is that the service was not actually done until 3,100 miles and the stamp in the service book is fraudulent. If it was done at 1,400, why take it in for a service 2 months later? It doesn't sound right to me. If it wasn't done until 3,100 miles, how big a deal is this?

The gap between the bonnet and the kidney grill looked slightly bigger on one side than the other. The dealer actually mentioned it when I spoke to him on the phone before I saw the car, and put it down to a rubber seal under the bonnet. Personally I can't see a rubber seal making much of a difference, so I wonder if there is a more serious issue. I couldn't see any evidence of any crash damage, and I don't think I'd have noticed it if he had not brought it up. He said the bonnet fitment might need adjustment?

Any help much appreciated! I want the car :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
UPSROD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Sometimes one side of the hood will completely latch and not the other, try to reclose it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
James Lafayette
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks UPSPROD. I did check that, and both sides were def. latched.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
UPSROD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
The latches on the hood itself can be screwed in to close the gap.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Helmsman
Colonel
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Hey James, reg the gap we'd need a pic to advice, however some misalignment here as well as between bonnet/fenders is common and a fairly easy matter to adjust i.e. no worry really.
The first service I'd check in more detail. I personally don't request the OBC to be updated as I do more frequent service then BMW's schedule, but instead collect protocoll and receipt. Anything here? Should be possible to go to the dealer that did the stamp and request for their computer print out?

Finally, check service interval - if BMW 15k schelude I' personally hesitate - and general condition.

Good luck!

Ps. If first service turns out to be at 3k I'd walk. Buying a new M3 and be too lazy to do brake in service is not a good sign in my book.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 02:46 AM   #6
dreamspeed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

I don't know how good the service records are in the U.K. are but when I was looking for a M3, only a fraction of the cars had a break in service logged. Whether or not the other cars never did the service or the entry just didn't show up in the records I don't know.

I do know that a lot of dealers don't know about the break in service since BMW took out the break in service for all but the M cars a while ago.

There's also plenty of owners who didn't know or care about the break in service.

Personally I wouldn't let that be the sole deciding factor on whether to walk or not
      04-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
James Lafayette
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks all, I'm not sure about it. I just can't see how there is an entry on the key for something 2 months after the dealer stamped the book at 1,400 miles. Just seems a bit weird.

Personally, I'm not really fussed about it, it's more how it affects resale value I'm concerned about.

I'll think it over tonight.
Appreciate 0