BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

ESS Tuning

12-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #23
Ben335
Captain
Rep

Drives: 09 M3 Finally here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomsZ06 View Post
If your car is new like others have said you don't get "sniffed" just plugged into your OBD-II.

So as long as your tuner turned the codes off for catless (mine did) you will pass. They may say something about the visiual if they actually look. In my experience you can find the places (like others have said here) that will pass your visiual without saying anything.

In regards to why would you want to run catless it's an HP thing. They restrict HP so if you have mods then you want to remove them so you make even more HP.
It depends on your state. If they check for OBD-II readiness, then you will NOT pass. What all tuner software does is turn off the OBD-II sensors so you don't get a CEL light, however, the inspection station can see that via your OBD-II port. You basically disable that sensor. So, while the software removes the annoying lights, you will fail a readiness test which can cause you to fail inspection depending on the state.
      12-15-2009, 09:54 AM   #24
DomsZ06
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2007 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben335 View Post
It depends on your state. If they check for OBD-II readiness, then you will NOT pass. What all tuner software does is turn off the OBD-II sensors so you don't get a CEL light, however, the inspection station can see that via your OBD-II port. You basically disable that sensor. So, while the software removes the annoying lights, you will fail a readiness test which can cause you to fail inspection depending on the state.
Which states do this?

I know CA doesn't (yet) but they want to. I hadn't heard any states that do this yet. In TX as long as you don't have any lights your good (CEL)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #25
DomsZ06
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2007 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
That's not true everywhere. In Allegheny County, PA - as an example - I get a printout of the reading the sniffer took and the state limit. They also hook up the OBD and check readiness. The sister county does ZERO emissions testing - no sniffer or OBD. So you really need to figure out what is relevant for your local government. For my local area, my understanding is that you CAN be passed if just the OBD-II comes back clean, but some places do the tailpipe test instead, or in addition. So it may not only vary county to county, but also station to station.

For PA, you'll want to look here:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspections/emissions.shtml

and here:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/06...hap177toc.html

and call the station to be sure.

Interesting..... I didn't know that.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #26
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Send a message via AIM to e46e92love
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomsZ06 View Post
Interesting..... I didn't know that.
Yes, the reasoning for emissions testing in some counties and little to none in others is because we are a farming state. Too many farmers couldn't meet the stiffer regulations with all kinds of trucks they; yes the rules are based on the farmers

Its why when I was a resident of Hapy Valley, I had to get my inspection done at home (Bucks) because the inspection regulations say you have to be inspected in the county where your permanent residence is, thats Bucks for me, and the regs for Happy Valley and here are different.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0