BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

VF-Engineering

03-05-2015, 04:35 AM   #1
TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Pulled a 2B59 error from DME, thermostat or just sensor?

I hooked up a tool tonight and have an error code 2B59.
I don't have any problems with the car that I know of.
Looking at the code list that is a coolant thermostat monitoring alarm.
recommended action is:
1) replace thermostat.
2) perform electrical check on coolant sensor and replace as indicated.

is there any way to determine beyond this what caused that error or when it was tripped?
Could it not just be a failing temperature sensor error or a sensing fluke?
My car is still running around the proper temps, although it does take about a 10 minute drive to warm up and take an oil reading. I always thought this was normal.
I don't want to clear out the alarm incase I need to take it to the dealer for service. I'd like them to see it, but I also would like more information before I go to them regarding this. If it's an error that was generated by a fluke 2 years ago I don't want to look like a fool going in there asking them to change the thermostat based on this error.
Thanks,
      04-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Lunker325
Likes shiny things
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red

I just got a check engine light today for decreased emissions, to which this code came up as the only fault when I scanned it. I too read what you have listed above, and am wondering the same thing. My car is a 2011, with only 30,000 miles on the clock. I know the thermostats went bad frequently in my e39 M5, but I think this is a bit soon for this car. I ran a check for another reason last week, and this code was present then, but apparently was a shadow code and did not trip the SES light. I cleared it out as a fluke.

I plan on monitoring my coolant temps for a while with my OBDII WIFI adapter connected to my Dash Command app to see what they read in real time. Since the thermostat is a 79C (174F), per realoem, I should see somewhere around that reading when up to temp. If not, the stat may be bad, or if the temps fluctuate too much for no reason it may be the sensor.
      04-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Sered
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 M3 6MT

I had this same problem with my 2009 E93. Replaced the thermostat and it fixed it. The code could be cleared, but it would come back on cooler days until I replaced the t-stat. I think the thermostats in these cars wear out over time. It didn't cease working, it just didn't warm the car up to operating temps fast enough (an emissions issue in that regard).

It was easy to replace as well. Full replacement took maybe an hour in my garage.