BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
MIKEYBMW1's Avatar
England
21
Rep
1,679
Posts

 
Drives: PORSCHE GT3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LINCOLNSHIRE UK

iTrader: (1)

442.5bhp today

well I went to Evolve Today and had my AA x pipe and power pulley fitted + custom map and the car made at least 442.5bhp ,well happy could be more but my rear tyres are only 30 series so throws the dyno out a bit , car pulls like a train now and although it is loud sounds awesome ,just like a jet fighter

Sal has the graph and pics,video etc

cheers to the Guys at Evolve
__________________
PORSCHE GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
King Tut's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
1,310
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to King Tut
So what was it before the mods? Do you have a dyno plot of before and after so we can see how much power each mod made?
__________________
King Tut
2012 BMW M3 Individual: Sold lsb.ridedomain.com
1987 BMW 325is SpecE30: spece30.ridedomain.com
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
MIKEYBMW1's Avatar
England
21
Rep
1,679
Posts

 
Drives: PORSCHE GT3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LINCOLNSHIRE UK

iTrader: (1)

414 bhp before mods although it had a bmc filter and remus race back box , hopefully Sal will see this and put the graphs up .
__________________
PORSCHE GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
13
Rep
864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: VIRGINIA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
414 bhp before mods although it had a bmc filter and remus race back box , hopefully Sal will see this and put the graphs up .
sounds like the stock #'s. Would like to see the dyno #'s from the same dyno before and after.
__________________
09 E92 M3,AW/FR. MODS:Performane Kidney Grills,Side Gills,Exhaust Tips,BMW Performance Pedals,359 Satin Black GTS Wheels,275/35/19R & 255/35/19F PSS's,Dinan Stage I Suspension,Macht Schnell Spacers 12mmF,5mmR,Rear Fogs,Euphoria 6k,LCI Tails,LUX v3,OEM IND Painted Alpine White CF Performance Spoiler, Front Splitters, and Front Reflectors,Gloss Black Hood Vents,M Performance Steering Wheel.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
M3 vert's Avatar
United Kingdom
22
Rep
1,793
Posts

 
Drives: E93 M3, '12 750ix, 760Li Ind.
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Everywhere...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09E92M34ME View Post
sounds like the stock #'s. Would like to see the dyno #'s from the same dyno before and after.
+1

and how much did the entire setup cost you?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #6
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

All Sal gave you was the 'estimated' crank (brake) HP output of the engine?

Where are the rwhp dyno numbers?

And you don't have the dyno plots to post up because...
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
5,037
Posts

 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
What dyno and what were the wheel #'s? 442bhp for all those mods isn't that good. I got pretty much the same type of mods and my car is estimated at 491bhp.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #8
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
MIKEYBMW1's Avatar
England
21
Rep
1,679
Posts

 
Drives: PORSCHE GT3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LINCOLNSHIRE UK

iTrader: (1)

we do have the dyno print outs guys , Sal will post them up I'm sure

the reading is conservative and we think the car is definately running more power , the rear tyres are 30 series and not 35 so this is affecting the rolling radius and therefore affected the reading

trust me the car flies now cost wise about 4k ish well worth it imo.
__________________
PORSCHE GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
M3Kernow
Private
0
Rep
66
Posts

 
Drives: E92 Silverstone M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kernow

iTrader: (0)

Yeah what was it putting down to the wheels? Before and after the tune?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
MIKEYBMW1's Avatar
England
21
Rep
1,679
Posts

 
Drives: PORSCHE GT3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LINCOLNSHIRE UK

iTrader: (1)

not sure here is a graph that i have after mods oh not sure why its on its side but you get the picture
Attached Images
 
__________________
PORSCHE GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
not sure here is a graph that i have after mods oh not sure why its on its side but you get the picture
Why in the world did they do an 'estimated crank HP' dyno graph...instead of a rear wheel HP dyno graph?

I also find it hard to believe that your engine was making EXACTLY 414.2 crank horsepower prior to your mods.

It seems the 414 hp number was actually derived from the 442.5 hp number via the Dyno Dynamics software algorithms.

Besides, your Euro-spec M3 should have a crank HP out put of 420 HP, not 414.

Are you sure that's the only dyno graph they gave you?

This is so weird...
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
MrHarris
yodog
MrHarris's Avatar
United_States
77
Rep
5,037
Posts

 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
^ i think the european 420hp # is actually the same as the US 414hp, it's just the measurements/units are slightly different.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
Imran@Evolve
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Imran@Evolve's Avatar
United Kingdom
83
Rep
2,067
Posts


 
Drives: E60 M5, E92 M3, E46 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bedfordshire UK

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to Imran@Evolve
It is standard practice in the UK to provide flywheel power figures as this is what customers understand. There is nothing "weird" about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
MIKEYBMW1's Avatar
England
21
Rep
1,679
Posts

 
Drives: PORSCHE GT3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LINCOLNSHIRE UK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Why in the world did they do an 'estimated crank HP' dyno graph...instead of a rear wheel HP dyno graph?

I also find it hard to believe that your engine was making EXACTLY 414.2 crank horsepower prior to your mods.

It seems the 414 hp number was actually derived from the 442.5 hp number via the Dyno Dynamics software algorithms.

Besides, your Euro-spec M3 should have a crank HP out put of 420 HP, not 414.

Are you sure that's the only dyno graph they gave you?

This is so weird...


don't care about the dyno figures really anyway ,the proof is in the way the car drives and I can feel a big difference so don't let it worry you too much matey.
__________________
PORSCHE GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #15
PunjabiM3
Lieutenant Colonel
PunjabiM3's Avatar
India
35
Rep
1,834
Posts

 
Drives: R8 5.2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oro Valley, AZ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
What dyno and what were the wheel #'s? 442bhp for all those mods isn't that good. I got pretty much the same type of mods and my car is estimated at 491bhp.
491 hp with full exhaust, tune, pulley, filter? No offense but that seems like an inflated number...seems way too high. Perhaps you got a one off special factory car!
__________________
2012 Audi R8 V10, 6MT, Suzuka Gray, Capristo X-Pipe, Klassen M52R, GMG springs, R8 GT tails, Satin Black badges
2012 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige, Moonlight Blue
2015 BMW X5 35d, Mineral White
Previous: 11 e82 1M, Several 911's & M3's
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #16
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
MIKEYBMW1's Avatar
England
21
Rep
1,679
Posts

 
Drives: PORSCHE GT3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LINCOLNSHIRE UK

iTrader: (1)

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000:d
__________________
PORSCHE GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 01:57 PM   #17
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
^ i think the european 420hp # is actually the same as the US 414hp, it's just the measurements/units are slightly different.
Yes I know all the hp conversion rates throughout the world...

But this dyno equipment is located in the UK, so it would be setup for DIN (PS) horsepower, which would clearly show 420 crank hp... not 414.2 crank HP.

414 crank horsepower is the SAE standard for use here in the United States. That is OUR standard for measuring horsepower.

Foreign speed shops don't use the SAE standard to calculate the crank (flywheel) horsepower output of their engines. They use DIN, PS, or kW.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #18
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
King Tut's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
1,310
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gulf Breeze, FL

iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
It is standard practice in the UK to provide flywheel power figures as this is what customers understand. There is nothing "weird" about it.
This is true when talking with my European buddies.
__________________
King Tut
2012 BMW M3 Individual: Sold lsb.ridedomain.com
1987 BMW 325is SpecE30: spece30.ridedomain.com
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #19
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
It is standard practice in the UK to provide flywheel power figures as this is what customers understand. There is nothing "weird" about it.
Sorry, but I beg to differ.

That IS weird when you can't see or calculate the drivetrain losses from your car.

Why even put your car on the dyno, if you aren't to at least try to properly ascertain how much power was actually made that day. (minus your drive train loss)

The Dyno Dynamics software could be manipulated to show a very generous HP output to satisfy your clients.

The crank HP dyno graphs you generated, aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

Those numbers are bogus, because they are extrapolated 100% from the Dyno Dynamics software. (i.e. there are no tangible rwhp numbers to compare them to in the first place)
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 02:16 PM   #20
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
don't care about the dyno figures really anyway ,the proof is in the way the car drives and I can feel a big difference so don't let it worry you too much matey.
Oh I'm not worried, I basically amused by these artificially derived crank HP numbers you got.

The Dyno Dynamics dynamometer can be setup to show crank (flywheel) HP or rear wheel HP numbers. (or a combination of both)

The rwhp numbers will show you what kind of power you actually have at the wheels during accelleration. It will also tell you what kind of drivetrain loss your car has, which will in turn keep the dyno operator from 'fudging' the final HP numbers.
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #21
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
MIKEYBMW1's Avatar
England
21
Rep
1,679
Posts

 
Drives: PORSCHE GT3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LINCOLNSHIRE UK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
Yes I know all the hp conversion rates throughout the world...

But this dyno equipment is located in the UK, so it would be setup for DIN (PS) horsepower, which would clearly show 420 crank hp... not 414.2 crank HP.

414 crank horsepower is the SAE standard for use here in the United States. That is OUR standard for measuring horsepower.

Foreign speed shops don't use the SAE standard to calculate the crank (flywheel) horsepower output of their engines. They use DIN, PS, or kW.
mate most cars wont reach manufactures quotes and thats a fact , the car drives totally different now to what it did before the x pipe ,power pulley and remap , floor it in gear 6 now when cruising at say 80mph and it has very quickly gone over 100mph +
__________________
PORSCHE GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #22
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
Lemans_Blue_M's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,948
Posts

 
Drives: Lemans Blue M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
mate most cars wont reach manufactures quotes and thats a fact , the car drives totally different now to what it did before the x pipe ,power pulley and remap , floor it in gear 6 now when cruising at say 80mph and it has very quickly gone over 100mph +
Okay, I guess as long as you're happy...
__________________
The best is yet to come...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST