BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
 
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 5,199
iTrader: (0)

Power Pullys

OK guys who has these fitted and just whats your verdict?, are they noticable, what gains can you feel with them and are they worth it please.
JOHNBMWM5 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
disruptv
Major
 
Drives: 3M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ny

Posts: 1,145
iTrader: (10)

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
im interested in doing these as well
disruptv is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .

Posts: 4,643
iTrader: (0)

I think it's worth it.

It all adds up in power at the end.
Nawaaz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
 
MIKEYBMW1's Avatar
 
Drives: PORSCHE GT3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LINCOLNSHIRE UK

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (1)

only going to work properly with all the intake and exhaust mods
__________________
PORSCHE GT3
MIKEYBMW1 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Eliminator
First Lieutenant
 
Eliminator's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 M3 SSII 6M, '87 911
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Michigan

Posts: 311
iTrader: (0)

Don't know what Mikey's talking about. The pulley is completely independent and reduces the power to the other belt driven devices. Ie. water pump, power steering, alternator, etc. By reducing the power lost to these devices, you get a little more of the engines power going to the wheels. I've put mine on, taken it off, put it on and taken it off again. I can tell you honestly that, on the positive side, you feel a slight difference in pull. Wheels slip just a little easier. Big difference? Not at all. Don't expect much from 8 HP over your 414. It feels a little more rev-happy. Climbing the RPMs just a hair quicker. On the negative side, the steering gets stiff at low RPMs like when turning up a driveway or in to your garage. Not too bad though. It feels like you pushed the M button. To finish, here's one nobody has ever mentioned - to my knowledge - but the car is much smoother when cold. The bucking effect with a cold engine gets much less, or better. Not gone entirely, but much better. After that, I'd suggest getting one. It's reversable so at worst you lose your $380 bucks.
__________________
SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] 2008 M3 SSII 6MT, EU Bumper, Matte Black Kidneys, AA Pulley, 12/10 RE Spacers, MS Filter
Eliminator is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
MrHarris
yodog
 
MrHarris's Avatar
 
Drives: '86 Corolla
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Diamond Bar, Ca

Posts: 5,037
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to MrHarris
Pulley is separate from other mods. A tune won't help.

I put in the RE pulley before I got a tune and it made a huge difference IMO. You're getting 8-10whp/wtq across the board. The power was only slightly noticeable over 5k but under 5k it's really noticeable. When flooring it in 5th at 2k rpm the car picked up much quicker.
__________________

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
MrHarris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
ChinoOrtega
Captain
 
ChinoOrtega's Avatar
 
Drives: 991 C2S
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Guatemala

Posts: 604
iTrader: (0)

I really felt a difference when I got the Rouge pulley, the numbers won't lie, and YOU will feel it, great mod so far
__________________
ChinoOrtega is offline   Guatemala
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
hogwild
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 m3 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: So.Cal.

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

I had EAS install my RE power pulleys. Excellent guys to work with by the way! I noticed alittle more low end pick up in 2-3! To me every mod that adds HP felt or not will add up to more as you go! Every little bit adds up!
hogwild is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
 
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 5,199
iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys, I will be giving this one a go.
JOHNBMWM5 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
 
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 5,199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
Click "See Dyno Runs" in my signature below. There are dyno results that show the difference.
Very very informative, many thanks, bottom end results clear and improved, this and the BMC filter + remapp should give me what I am looking for.
JOHNBMWM5 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2009, 12:20 AM   #11
disruptv
Major
 
Drives: 3M
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: ny

Posts: 1,145
iTrader: (10)

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
whaT abt steering feel at low speeds? is it heavier or unchanged post-pulleys?
disruptv is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2009, 02:31 AM   #12
michaeldorian
Captain
 
Drives: Beater Nissan Truck
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA

Posts: 963
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by disruptv View Post
whaT abt steering feel at low speeds? is it heavier or unchanged post-pulleys?
It is heavier. There is less power available to the other sub systems. From my understanding, it is only slightly.
__________________
michaeldorian is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2009, 11:37 AM   #13
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: BMW Duh
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Santa Clara

Posts: 17,022
iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
Quote:
Originally Posted by disruptv View Post
whaT abt steering feel at low speeds? is it heavier or unchanged post-pulleys?
There is a slight reduction in steering boost but you can still slide into a parking spot with one finger
SV Concepts III is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
Kyoshi71
Colonel
 
Kyoshi71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

Posts: 2,528
iTrader: (0)

Steve Dinan has written articles about how he doesnt believe in pullies. Just $.02
Kyoshi71 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,153
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Steve Dinan has written articles about how he doesnt believe in pullies. Just $.02
You're referencing an article that was written almost 10 years ago. Word on the street is that Dinan will be offering their own UDP soon for the S65.

Otherwise, the RE pulleys have been a very good 1st upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
OK guys who has these fitted and just whats your verdict?, are they noticable, what gains can you feel with them and are they worth it please.
You can't go wrong with the RE brand, here's a quick DIY to give you an overview of the install process:



link: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271330
__________________

Last edited by tom @ eas; 11-27-2009 at 09:23 PM.
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2009, 01:53 PM   #16
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
 
MIKEYBMW1's Avatar
 
Drives: PORSCHE GT3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LINCOLNSHIRE UK

Posts: 1,679
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliminator View Post
Don't know what Mikey's talking about. The pulley is completely independent and reduces the power to the other belt driven devices. Ie. water pump, power steering, alternator, etc. By reducing the power lost to these devices, you get a little more of the engines power going to the wheels. I've put mine on, taken it off, put it on and taken it off again. I can tell you honestly that, on the positive side, you feel a slight difference in pull. Wheels slip just a little easier. Big difference? Not at all. Don't expect much from 8 HP over your 414. It feels a little more rev-happy. Climbing the RPMs just a hair quicker. On the negative side, the steering gets stiff at low RPMs like when turning up a driveway or in to your garage. Not too bad though. It feels like you pushed the M button. To finish, here's one nobody has ever mentioned - to my knowledge - but the car is much smoother when cold. The bucking effect with a cold engine gets much less, or better. Not gone entirely, but much better. After that, I'd suggest getting one. It's reversable so at worst you lose your $380 bucks.

What I am saying is to get the full effect you really need to do other mods as well as I have found out , yes the pulleys are good on there own but add other components and they all work to create a much better upgrade package

thats my opinion any ways
__________________
PORSCHE GT3
MIKEYBMW1 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #17
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
 
major_kusanagi's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SF, CA

Posts: 465
iTrader: (3)

I am thinking about the RE pulley too. How hard is the install?
major_kusanagi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
tom @ eas's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 10,153
iTrader: (13)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by major_kusanagi View Post
I am thinking about the RE pulley too. How hard is the install?
We have a link to the install in my previous post, this is about a 90 minute job.
__________________
tom @ eas is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #19
major_kusanagi
SWARM & COIN
 
major_kusanagi's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 AW/FR/CF E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SF, CA

Posts: 465
iTrader: (3)

Thx!
major_kusanagi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
 
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 5,199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
What I am saying is to get the full effect you really need to do other mods as well as I have found out , yes the pulleys are good on there own but add other components and they all work to create a much better upgrade package

thats my opinion any ways
I am going to add the remapp and BMC filter. that's about all I think I need.
JOHNBMWM5 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2009, 04:37 PM   #21
hogwild
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 m3 coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: So.Cal.

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Remap?

Novice here! REmap??? Who? Does EAS do this????::
hogwild is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #22
Kyoshi71
Colonel
 
Kyoshi71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New York

Posts: 2,528
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
You're referencing an article that was written almost 10 years ago. Word on the street is that Dinan will be offering their own UDP soon for the S65.

Otherwise, the RE pulleys have been a very good 1st upgrade.



You can go wrong with the RE brand, here's a quick DIY to give you an overview of the install process:



link: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271330
"Word is on the street?" As if they were working on some secret long-term project? If Dinan wanted to manufacture UDP's he could do it in an afternoon. And regardless of when he published the article originally, his sales reps still reference his disdain for UDP's. Sorry Bro, didn't mean to threaten your third quarter revenue.
Kyoshi71 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST