BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

GTB Performance

11-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
L-Altos
Private

Drives: E90 M3

Each time you change springs, does tire wear get affected?

After my E90 was lowered on H/R springs, and wider HRE wheels were put on, an alignment was obviously done. Since winter is about to hit here in the windy city, I am probably going to put the stock springs back on when I swap out the 19's for the snows on 18's. I'll then need another alighnment.

Come spring time, if I put the 19's back on and drive around on the stock springs after they were aligned with the 18's on, will there be an issue with the tires because they're wear-pattern was initiated on the car while it was lowered?
      11-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
rzm3

Drives: E92 M3

why are you changing springs in and out? it is really unnecessary and expensive... given that each swap would cost you hundreds of dollars... (unless you DIY, but you will need to get car aligned...)

perhaps you should get a height adjustable coilover set. It may be more expensive to begin with but you won't have to pay for labor costs every change of season.

and no, your tires will be fine.
      11-19-2009, 01:07 AM   #3
L-Altos
Private

When I bought the car it was already lowered and not driven during the winter. Its my DD so I dont think its going to be practical to drive a lowered car during the winter.

I will probably decide on a permanent set for year round use at some point, but for now I think I need to raise the car a bit and the stock springs are what I have here.

I didnt think it would be bad to swap springs a couple of times, it seems like people do it around here a lot. I agree that its expensive, which is why I need to make a permanent decision next spring. It looks like Dinan might be my only option, so I will have to give it some thought
      11-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General

Drives: BMW Duh

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
If you are going to be raising and lowering the car regularly or even for the winter, you should consider coilovers.

With that said, anytime you change suspension geometry- whether it be new springs, new shocks, coilover height adjustment etc...it is recommended that you align the car. Without an alignment, you will absolutely have varying tire wear.
      11-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
L-Altos
Private

I wont be doing it regularly, I'm just going back to stock for the winter and then I will have a permanent solution come spring
      11-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
UltraMagneticAL

Drives: E92 M3

firestone lifetime alignment ftw! i had this on my MR-S and it definately is a money saver. i had coilovers that went up and down depending on what i wanted to accomplish that week(end) and i just walked into the firestone, showed them my lifetime alignment papers and off to work they went...didn't have to pay a dime. it's a little expensive up front though. i think i paid just under $200, but it pays for itself after the second alignment.